Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Spoon Thermostat & Thermoswitch - USDM Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Spoon Thermostat & Thermoswitch - USDM Fit?

Anyone have them installed in their vehicles yet? Worthwhile upgrade?

Any negatives for a naturally aspirated daily driver?

Last edited by Wave; 07-29-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Tagged for interest

Old 07-29-2007, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have them installed, but I have installed
a colder thermostat and fan switch, using honda parts
Way cheaper then spoon.

The 06 civic stuff fits! Just choose if you want to go to 180 or 160 degrees.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
claymores done both and did a nice write up on them

Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SPON FIT
claymores done both and did a nice write up on them
Got a link? I did a search and couln't locate it.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Wave
Got a link? I did a search and couln't locate it.
its deleted for some reason,i knew there was one before and i dont know who deleted it.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
As per Ben over at AJ-Racing the Thermoswitch DOES NOT fit the USDM cars but the Thermostat will fit.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Claymore deleted the thread here b/c i "ruined" it.

i debated with him with my point: Lower temp thermostats are not worth the trouble and may affect the way your car runs.

Hondata also makes this claim.
Tech - Thermostat

it was further discussed at a huge Honda tuning/training session.

The Mugen thermostat and similar do not let engine ever warm up all the way so that engine's fuel maps are affected because the engine keeps adding fuel.

This was further proven with evidence off a D and H-series via wideband.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
Claymore deleted the thread here b/c i "ruined" it.

i debated with him with my point: Lower temp thermostats are not worth the trouble and may affect the way your car runs.

Hondata also makes this claim.
Tech - Thermostat

it was further discussed at a huge Honda tuning/training session.

The Mugen thermostat and similar do not let engine ever warm up all the way so that engine's fuel maps are affected because the engine keeps adding fuel.

This was further proven with evidence off a D and H-series via wideband.

I would not recommend using the Spoon Thermostat and switch. When I had my 99 Si, witch was far from stock, I did some data logging with my Hondata using the Spoon thermostat and switch and the car would never would get up to proper temp no matter how hard I drove it. I’m not sure if I still have the data files but if I can find them I will take some screen shots for everyone. Stick with the stock thermostat and switch unless you drive your fit on a race track all the time.

Scott

Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by MadtownFit
I would not recommend using the Spoon Thermostat and switch. When I had my 99 Si, witch was far from stock, I did some data logging with my Hondata using the Spoon thermostat and switch and the car would never would get up to proper temp no matter how hard I drove it. I’m not sure if I still have the data files but if I can find them I will take some screen shots for everyone. Stick with the stock thermostat and switch unless you drive your fit on a race track all the time.

Scott
Wow Scott, thanks for posting. Finally someone else who agrees with me instead of bickering about how Spoon knows best about Honda engine tuning than Hondata.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned
Another one talking about another car NOT A FIT. If you weren't having trouble reading and comprehending you would already know the operating temperature with a spoon thermostat and fan switch in a FIT.

On that subject since you know everything at what temperature on a FIT (no quibbling or dissembling about some OTHER car) please stick to the FIT, does the ECU know the engine is warmed up and stops "dumping fuel"??? Easy one for you if you can. And please be specific. And which sensor is more important to this "Fuel dumping" the ECT or the IAT. we will leave it up to the members who does a better job building race vehicles.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
Another one talking about another car NOT A FIT. If you weren't having trouble reading and comprehending you would already know the operating temperature with a spoon thermostat and fan switch in a FIT.

On that subject since you know everything at what temperature on a FIT (no quibbling or dissembling about some OTHER car) please stick to the FIT, does the ECU know the engine is warmed up and stops "dumping fuel"??? Easy one for you if you can. And please be specific. And which sensor is more important to this "Fuel dumping" the ECT or the IAT. we will leave it up to the members who does a better job building race vehicles.
WoW I’m surprised that type of talk from a moderator is tolerated on this site.

Sorry for sharing my past experience and knowledge. I guess your God and know all when it comes to the Fit and Hondas. So no matter how much experience a member might have with working on Hondas, it should not be shared on this site or you might get a slap on the hand for doing so.

BTW, I did not have any problems reading or comprehending the topic being covered.

After reading peoples past experiences with the same parts, even if it was on a different car, an open minded person might just think this could also be a problem for the Fit and might want to do some testing to find out if that is the case. At least that is what I was expecting people think after reading what I posted, but I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by MadtownFit; 08-08-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I believe the point that Claymore is making is that just b/c something didn't work well for the civic, accord, rsx, tsx, or anything else honda makes does not mean it will be the same for the FIT. IMO, Claymore is just expressing that the topic about the spoon thermostat and switch be on the FIT not on any other car.

*it's difficult to tell how a person is being on the internet. Some people may sound hostile, arrogant, pompous, etc on a forum, but it also maybe what they are posting what they truly believe.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Jackal
I believe the point that Claymore is making is that just b/c something didn't work well for the civic, accord, rsx, tsx, or anything else honda makes does not mean it will be the same for the FIT. IMO, Claymore is just expressing that the topic about the spoon thermostat and switch be on the FIT not on any other car.

*it's difficult to tell how a person is being on the internet. Some people may sound hostile, arrogant, pompous, etc on a forum, but it also maybe what they are posting what they truly believe.
Believe me, he's hostile.

Claymore, you seem to make it like the Fit is an entirely different car out of its own breed. Well listen up, ITS A FREAKIN HONDA. Honda does not engineer anything different or specially made for the Fit. Thermostats are the same crap used just in every Honda, just fitted differently. I guess the Fit is the god of all Hondas right?

The whole point of learning is applying things learned from another field, and applying to a similar application. But Claymore does not comprehend such concept. "ITS NOT A FIT ITS NOT A FIT! FIT FIT FIT FIT FIT" Thats all he can really say and cannot put any logical saying in it.

He believes he knows more about Honda tuning that Hondata themselves. Even though Hondata has already been thru the Fit ECU. i guess he thinks closed loop operation is different on the Fit than any other Honda. Oh wait, all Hondas can use the same exact Spoon thermostat/switch.

Last edited by 03DSM-RSX; 08-08-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned
Joey Joey Joey I have to be that way because you can't stick to the subject. They may all be Hondas but the Fit has a SEPARATE AND UNIQUE ENGINE and after all you often offer up posts on other vehicles even though this is a FIT FIT FIT site.

And you forget that unlike you I HAVE done this mod and it's working perfectly fine no problems what so ever.

You still haven't answered the question and it's a simple one at what temperature does the ECU in a FIT "think it's warm enough and stop dumping fuel?????"

Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by claymore
Joey Joey Joey I have to be that way because you can't stick to the subject. They may all be Hondas but the Fit has a SEPARATE AND UNIQUE ENGINE and after all you often offer up posts on other vehicles even though this is a FIT FIT FIT site.

And you forget that unlike you I HAVE done this mod and it's working perfectly fine no problems what so ever.

You still haven't answered the question and it's a simple one at what temperature does the ECU in a FIT "think it's warm enough and stop dumping fuel?????"

Why dont you call Hondata on that? You seem to have a bone to pick with them about it. You also seem to make me get every detail to the bone as if i engineered the car. And you make it seem like you ARE the engineer to know whats best.

Like i said before, its your car (and everyone else's), do what you want. I'm providing a cautionary measure that "hey, yes, there are possible detrimental effects with this mod...". Members choose what they want to do with there car.

The B, D, K, F. J-series are all different also, but hey their still a Honda, the Spoon/Mugen thermostats had negative effects on all of them! Ppl still run them anyways. Is there something special in the L-series that Honda wants to hide?

If your car is still running 180-195*, then doesnt that prove that the thermostat/switch is basically useless? The car pretty much runs that temp anyways stock. If it gets any higher than 220, THEN you have something to worry about.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Banned
Joey your doing it again. If you bothered to read my post before flapping you gums you would have seen this photo AFTER the parts were installed.

That sure looks like it reads REALLY REALLY REALLY close to the magic hondata RECOMMEND 185 degrees to me.

Thermostats and fan switches are not the only thing that determines operating temperature on ANY VEHICLE.

But we are talking about a FIT on a Fit site and there is the proof that had you bothered to read the post you would have found negating any reason to caution members about these Spoon parts. Try doing things yourself before jumping in with wrong advice. And if you bothered to read the repair manual you would know what the operating temperature of a FIT really is and it's not 180-195 like you say it's more like 210-215 TRY READING THE MANUAL SO YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE OFFERING YOUR INCORRECT ADVICE. The spoon parts offer a nice 20 degree or so of lower temperature.

The spoon parts work JUST FINE and when installed meet hondatas criteria for good performance. There are no problems with these parts I have REAL WORLD not just internet bla bla used them and have NO PROBLEMS with dumping fuel. NO decrease in MPG, no black tailpipe, and NO SIGNS OF "fuel dumping" what so ever, this is one reason I remove and replace my plugs so often I CHECK MY WORK and read my plugs frequently to be POSITIVE there are no fuel mixture problems, I do things not just read about them on the net. So joey now that you have seen the EVIDENCE that the parts meet hondatas criteria for good performance can you get off the subject???

Last edited by claymore; 08-09-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
dude, your picture is OLD. how about a live video feed of temps? I'm sure they go even higher when temps are hotter outside.

and its fine at 180*, so how is it any better than stock thermostat? Spoon > Honda???

i'm not singling out Spoon. but its their thermostat/switch. Even likewise to Mugen's.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Banned
Joey see your doing it again video of the gauges WTF are you nuts. And if you bothered to read the post you would already know that the temperature DOES NOT GET ANY HIGHER so don't be GUESSING AND SPECULATING. And what are you blind the stock temperature is 210-215 I already told you that (see the post above yours) and it's in the manual are you really having comprehension problems or just being deliberately obtuse that is a nice 20 degree reduction in temperature. And we are talking about SPOON parts in this post so don't try to wiggle out of your criticism by segwaying onto other manufactures of parts.

Quick Reply: Spoon Thermostat & Thermoswitch - USDM Fit?