Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Is turboing your fit useless?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Is turboing your fit useless?

I'm trying to see whats the HP to $ ratio of turboing a fit and the fun factor it provides. Also interested in seeing if running a kit at 6psi will prematurely use the L15.

So, to the people that have turbo'ed their FIT, would you do it again and would you consider it being a nice investment?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
im not Turbo.... but i would definitely say yes it is worth it.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM
given the results. it's definately worthwhile.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
pretty large power gains. 150hp to the wheels doesnt sound like a lot but my buddy has an eg sedan that weighs about the same as our fits and it has a boosted d15b and makes around 150hp to the wheels. he can easily roll up stock mustang gts. hp doesnt sound like much, but when its on a car that is featherlight it will make it scoot.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nonnon
So, to the people that have turbo'ed their FIT, would you do it again and would you consider it being a nice investment?
mine's not boosted, but i'm sure it's worth it if you're into cars. is it a good investment though? not unless you really appreciate these kind of things. nothing on a car is a good investment i learned, especially when somebody comes crashing into you and ruins all your hard work. but i'd do it again anyway because it brings me happiness.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
If by investment you mean financial return, you should have bought a bentley...pretty sure everything just loses value the longer you keep it. The investment will be in your personal enjoyment. Lots of us bought Fits because of their practicality and 'fun' factor. Why not invest more in that latter?

Originally Posted by doctordoom
mine's not boosted, but i'm sure it's worth it if you're into cars. is it a good investment though? not unless you really appreciate these kind of things. nothing on a car is a good investment i learned, especially when somebody comes crashing into you and ruins all your hard work. but i'd do it again anyway because it brings me happiness.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well if you want the Best Hp To $ ratio I always here that Nitros is the way to go, personly though I would go turbo, and hopfuly some day it will happen

Old 01-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Makes much more sense to Turbo or Supercharge the Fit as opposed to swapping a different engine into it!

Last edited by tonyd3773; 01-25-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
I would go the supercharger route.

I think that by investment, he means is the money going to be well spent? If that is what you meant, I think it is. Aside from the fact that you may race, it'll be much easier to keep up with daily street cars, especially on freeway driving. The only downer is the cost. But I do not have one... yet... but from what I've read so far, I doubt that Kraftwerks will let me down

Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 AM
If done right, forced induction is almost as good as sex. That gradual pull you get as you squish the gas pedal is heavenly. Gas mileage is a setback if you aren't careful. Damn I miss my old car!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
A true businessman knows no car is a worthwhile investment. (Time = money, therefore money to financial returns ratio is never worth it unless your time is dirt cheap. That rule applies to collector's cars, btw.)

When you're dealing with a car, like buying one or turbo-ing one, you do it for yourself. It's an expense for personal benefit, not personal profit.

Personally, I couldn't spend that much money on a turbo. But I can definitely understand how many people can. A stripped, turbo-ed Fit would be so awesome. So, so, so awesome...

Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Owning an automobile is a disposable investment........ moving on.
From the perspective of bang for your buck performance, forced induction wins.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nabisco
Owning an automobile is a disposable investment........ moving on.
From the perspective of bang for your buck performance, forced induction wins.
"Disposable investment?" lol Is that like a negative investment? One which when you buy you expect to have negative returns? haha Interesting personal rationalizing economics.

Anyways, does a turbo void your warranty?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM
depends on what do you mean by 'useless'?

Old 02-09-2008, 12:34 PM
An automobile is a money pit regardless. Consider the fact that once you drive a new car home from the dealer, it depreciates. Mileage and other wear on the vehicle contibutes to depreciation. The costs of fuel, maintenance, and Insuring the vehicle add up as well.

Purchase price, insurance, upkeep, fuel etc. VS. Depreciation = money pit.

Take a new Honda Fit and change out the suspension, replace the tail lights with "after market" lights, add a "body kit", hack up the exhaust, some heavy bulky wheels, and you have now rapidly decreased the value of the vehicle.

If you properly maintain, clean, and have quality parts installed by a mechanic, you don't loose AS much in the end. For example: A street or "sport" spring set matched with the right struts or shocks and proper alignment vs. race type springs, stock shocks, or springs that ride too low and have too high of spring rate.
Basically a car that has been taken well care of
stock or modified within reason will have better resale value than a car that has been hacked up.

To answer your warranty question I don't know. I think if you purchased the kit from the dealer and they installed it your warranty would hold. Mainly it is not a factory part and therefore in order to be valid for warranty I think it needs to be officially installed by the dealer or something like that. I seriously doubt you will be able to walk into a dealer and order a turbo kit, so I'm pretty certain you can kiss your warranty good bye. On the other hand, if you are buying a kit you will have better luck going with an official kit released by one of the big manufacturers vs an ebay kit for several reasons like R&D, durability, and C.A.R.B. approval.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
i remember when i first saw this thread. my automatic response was of course it's not a waste, FI on the fit will make a really fun car. now, i'm kinda wondering... 3500 isnt cheap. and in reality, people will likely spend at least $4k to get the injector upgrade, an aftermarket manifold, and HFC, and that's before you pay someone a couple of hours labor for install. and that's just to keep up with a stock GTI or civic si. and for the money, i really question if it's worth it. there's plenty of motor to get into some serious shenanigans as is, imo.

i might be more interested if the base kraftwerke kit came with some type of tunable software so i could switch to E85... really makes me wonder about the AJR turbo kit.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:23 PM
3500 isnt cheap.
No it's not, kinda wonder....for 1,700 hundred more dollars I can swap a K20a2 into my Fit (COMPLETE SWAP). That power would be well worth it!!!
There is a shop around the cornor from my house that specializes in SWAPS so been thinking about that option as well.
Correct me if I am wrong but according to the numberS the Kraftwerks SC base is putting down 121HP @5PSI??

Old 02-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
No it's not, kinda wonder....for 1,700 hundred more dollars I can swap a K20a2 into my Fit (COMPLETE SWAP). That power would be well worth it!!!
There is a shop around the cornor from my house that specializes in SWAPS so been thinking about that option as well.
Correct me if I am wrong but according to the numberS the Kraftwerks SC base is putting down 121HP @5PSI??
unless u do the swap yourself, it will not be $1700 more. it will be more than that. Dont you think ALOT of people would have the swap already if it was only that much more. Labor is EXPENSIVE

Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I'll get back to you next month, after i have my supercharger

Old 02-09-2008, 01:49 PM
unless u do the swap yourself, it will not be $1700 more. it will be more than that. Dont you think ALOT of people would have the swap already if it was only that much more. Labor is EXPENSIVE
No, that's it. Been quoted already, with everything. IMO alot of people are looking in the wrong places or may not know where to look. Labor for the install was quoted at 500 bucks.
Unfortunetly I do not have 5 grand right now. Any SoCal Fit interested, PM me and I will provide you with the performance shop / contact / number.

Quick Reply: Is turboing your fit useless?