Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

DIY: P2R Intake Manifold "performance" gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
DIY: P2R Intake Manifold "performance" gasket

Ok. There's been talk on this forum about "performance" intake manifold gaskets. What it's theoretically supposed to do is cool the air going into the cylinders. Here's the theory behind it:

1) Cold Air enters the Cold Air Intake
2) Cold Air travels from filter to plastic Intake Plenum
3) Cold Air travels from plastic Intake Plenum to ceramic Intake Manifold.
4) Cold Air travels from ceramic Intake Manifold past a metal gasket to the aluminum Cylinder Head.
5) Combustion happens and creates heat
6) Heat created from combustion travels from the Cylinder Head through the metal gasket and to the Intake Manifold
7) Heats up the incoming air from the ceramic Intake Manifold and the cold air intake is no longer cold.

Now, as I'm sure you've all noticed, the car performs better in the morning. The reason is that cold air is denser than warm air, therefore, you can fit more air into the cylinders. More air = more fuel = Bigger Boom!

Just so you know, you gain 1.5 HP at the crank for every 10 degrees Celsius of cooler air compared to engine temperature.

This product is to prevent/slow down the transfer for heat from the Cylinder Head to the Intake Manifold and therefore, you get more horsepower.

Here's the product itself (sorry, it's upside down):

All it is is a piece of plastic that's about 1/8" an inch thick.

I'm not here to say if they work or not. I'm here ONLY to do a DIY on the install. So as per usual:

Fitfreak.net and/or "Fit of RAGE" is NOT responsible for any damages, warranty-void problems. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Tools needed:

10mm socket
12mm socket
4 inch extension (roughly)
ratchet
Flathead socket
needle-nose pliers

***WHEN REMOVING BOLTS, COUNT "DOWN" (6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1). WHEN INSTALLING BOLTS, COUNT "UP" (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6).***

Good Luck!!

First off, here's an exploded diagram so that you can see what you're up against:

1) take your dipstick out:

2) Take the engine cover off. There are 2 x 10mm and 2 x speed clips:

3) Remove the 5 x 12mm bolts that hold the Intake Plenum to the Intake Manifold.
REMOVE IN A SEQUENCE PROVIDED & REMOVE THEM IN EQUAL ROTATIONS!! (this prevents warping)

4) remove 2 x 10mm and the vacuum line:

5) Remove the 6 x 10mm bolts that hold the EGR plenum to the Intake Manifold. Again,
REMOVE IN A SEQUENCE PROVIDED & REMOVE THEM IN EQUAL ROTATIONS!!

6)
Remove the 5 x 12mm bolts that hold the Intake Manifold to the Cylinder Head. Again, REMOVE IN A SEQUENCE PROVIDED & REMOVE THEM IN EQUAL ROTATIONS!! Some bolts are hidden!

7) CARFULLY remove the Intake Manifold and here's what you get:

8) install the P2R plastic Intake Manifold gasket/spacer

9) Now, put everything back in reverse order. When it comes to tightening bolts, TIGHTEN IN EQUAL ROTATIONS AND IN A CLOCKWISE ROTATION AND/OR IN THE SEQUENCE PROVIDED IN THE PREVIOUS STEPS. Keep in mind that you are tightening into ALUMINUM (Cylinder Head) so DO NOT STRIP THE CYLINDER HEAD!!

Sorry, I forgot to take pics of it installed. I got too carried away and needed to go so I threw everything back together without pics. SORRY!!

Hope everything works out. Hopefully you'll notice a difference. Please feel free to ask any questions!

Fit of RAGE

Part provided by:

K20Tuned LLC
www.k20tuned.com

Last edited by Fit of RAGE; 02-02-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
nice writeup.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
I think a major factor would be what the plenum is made of. Do you, per chance, know out of what material the plenum is made?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 PM
torque settings? I have the manual but I am too lazy
either way not interested in this BUT great DIY and good pics so you
get a big imaginary rep pt from me .....

I already repped you a while back and even though I have "spread the love" it still wont
let me rep you....hahaaahaa oh well.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
I think a major factor would be what the plenum is made of. Do you, per chance, know out of what material the plenum is made?
The Intake Plenum is Plastic, the Intake Manifold is Ceramic and the Cylinder Head is Aluminum.

Originally Posted by Snap Fit
torque settings? I have the manual but I am too lazy
either way not interested in this BUT great DIY and good pics so you
get a big imaginary rep pt from me .....
Originally Posted by Snap Fit
I already repped you a while back and even though I have "spread the love" it still wont
let me rep you....hahaaahaa oh well.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 AM
nice diy guide again. is the difference noticeable?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Combo
nice diy guide again. is the difference noticeable?
I actually haven't driven it yet. I'll get back to you tomorrow

Old 02-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned
Nice DIY....

Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
FINALLY omg man i have been looking for this damn thing for a while! i have to install my damn lightweight alternator pulley and in the meantime i was going 2 install the gasket. I just placed the order.

BTW great writeup. =]

Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
nice write up, now i can go and get one of these and install it with confidence.. anyone no if the hondata one is out yet or were i cud get one???

Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Well, here's the update. Before I installed the gasket, I went for a specific drive. After the drive, i felt the intake manifold. It was hot. just hot enough to make me take my hand away after 5 seconds. After the gasket was installed, I went on the same drive and, I could put my hand there for, well, quite a while. Therefore, it seems like it does do something. By the "butt" dyno, i didn't feel any difference.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Nice write up. I may have to go for this. Cant be any worse then instaling a header. haha.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice pictures. Their size fits in my small laptop screen too!
Where did you get the gasket from and at what cost?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tricolor
Very nice pictures. Their size fits in my small laptop screen too!
Where did you get the gasket from and at what cost?

I got this from a friend. He wanted me to try it out and to see what he things. The only places I can find it is:

1) Shop eBay Canada Store - k20Tuned:: Gaskets, Adapters

2) www.k20tuned.com

Old 02-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey bro i just read through the DIY again and you might want to change the warning again. You forgot the NOT. Just trying to look out for you.

Fitfreak.net and/or "Fit of RAGE" is NOT responsible for any damages, warranty-void problems. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Joshua

Old 02-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
Hey bro i just read through the DIY again and you might want to change the warning again. You forgot the NOT. Just trying to look out for you.

Joshua
OOPS!!! Thanks!!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 AM
what about the engine getting too hot and melting it, anyone know the material, that way we could figure the melting point. if it helps keep manifold cooler that means more consistne performance, over time.(i.e., commuting, spirited, weekend drives, auto-x), im down for givin git a try!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Exclamation

I run this on my 2004 SRT4 and it does WORK!!!

My SRT4 runs at 220 degree sitting in traffic, after a little street racing.

hmmm....Which i dont condone..wink wink..

With that gasket on... my intercooler runs alot cooler about 38 degrees in temp at idle and cooler when driving on high bost mode wich is @ 20 puonds of boost.. im running the quick whips intercooler.. anyway

Now this works great on turbo apps ...But will have little affect on stock motors...

Old 02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
who's next???

I got mine!

who's next?

I also applied a ceramic coating, and baked it:

Last edited by Jimmy101; 02-05-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PR fit
I run this on my 2004 SRT4 and it does WORK!!!

My SRT4 runs at 220 degree sitting in traffic, after a little street racing.

hmmm....Which i dont condone..wink wink..

With that gasket on... my intercooler runs alot cooler about 38 degrees in temp at idle and cooler when driving on high bost mode wich is @ 20 puonds of boost.. im running the quick whips intercooler.. anyway

Now this works great on turbo apps ...But will have little affect on stock motors...
I think this set up will only have very little gain or non at all on NA engine since its not running harder than beyond its means. If it was, Honda R&D would have design something already. Now for those, awaiting patiently/impatiently for the Kraftswerk SC, this may be an ideal upgrade. With more horsepower comes more heat so this gasket can really do its job.

Quick Reply: DIY: P2R Intake Manifold "performance" gasket