Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Throttle controllers, yea!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
Throttle controllers, yea!

Came across some news that both Blitz and Pivot are releasing throttle controllers for the 2nd gen JDM Fit sometime next month. I know this is going to be something of great interest to a number of people, so thought I'd post it here. Now, not sure if they will work w/ our DBW throttle, but I'm thinking there's a good chance they might seeing as I have a hunch that our DBW setup was a test bed of sorts for the new Fit's setup. That's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised. In any case, there's no info on Blitz' site just yet, but Pivot's controller says you'll be able to choose different response setups for both economy driving or sport, and looks to be a plug-in affair as well. Prices I've heard are about $350 for the Blitz and $200-300 for the Pivot. No pics are available, but I'll post more info as I come across it. This is definitely something I'm interested in if it works w/ our cars.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
my, my I do believe I will subscribe.....

Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
throttle controllers? as in throttle body? if so that would be cool... im in, as long as its compatible w/ the SC

Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
AMEN! FINALLY!
That will become #1 Fit mod of all time and much needed I might add!

Ivan

Old 02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by REXXXXXXXXX
throttle controllers? as in throttle body? if so that would be cool... im in, as long as its compatible w/ the SC
No, better -- throttle controllers as in being able to modify the response curve of the drive-by-wire setup, i.e. - getting rid of the rev hang, having a more linear/completely linear curve, switchable setups for when you want to max economy or max sport response, etc. Stuff like that. It'd probably be one of the best mods out if they work with our cars.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Any idea if it is a change on the fly setup or do you have to open up the hood to change modes?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
You'd spend three hundred fifty dollars to change how fast you go at quarter throttle? Why don't you just move your foot a half inch in one direction or the other and send me a hundred bucks? That way everybody wins.

Definitely one of the best mods out there, second only to the adjustable speed power window motors. Oh, but only the JDM ones.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Any idea if it is a change on the fly setup or do you have to open up the hood to change modes?
yeah, yeah thats what me wants to know too

Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fshwcrs
You'd spend three hundred fifty dollars to change how fast you go at quarter throttle? Why don't you just move your foot a half inch in one direction or the other and send me a hundred bucks? That way everybody wins.

Definitely one of the best mods out there, second only to the adjustable speed power window motors. Oh, but only the JDM ones.
Personally, I could care less about quarter mile.
Problem with DBW Fit throttle body is that compensates for every mod made to the intake by closing the butterfly more!
I connected AutoEnginuity software on my laptop and drove my Fit in 5th gear(A/T Fit) uphill flat out and ECU kept closing the butterfly more with every higher flowing mod. I went through short ram, fully thermally insulated shorty with a ram air through top front grille, full CAI with ram air through bottom grile,...... Butterfly never opened past 78%!!! That is 3/4 its capacity. It keeps reducing air amount instead of increasing injector duration. If this mod can help us piggyback ECU in conjunction with injector duty cycle mod such as Jackson Racing supercharger fuel mod or even stand alone ECU, that would be great.
OEM Subaru WRX ECU is stand alone Denso unit that is fully programmable. It uses air flow sensor instead of mas air, but......

I know Fit is heavier than my CRX, but 100cc difference is not enough to make a difference as huge as the performance between the two cars. Two cars are night and day to drive at this point.
I am confident that managing the DBW throttle as close to cable one would "free up" more power from (IMO) useless mods at the moment such as headers and exhaust ($300-600 for 2-3HP?!).
It is not the raw power I am after so much, but that snappiness I miss from my CRX.
Ivan

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member

Are you an idiot? One of the Fit's biggest annoyances and issues for a lot of drivers is the non-linear response of the DBW setup. Unlike a cable setup, with the way the Fit's DBW is set up now when you give say 50% throttle it may only give you 45% or it may give maybe 60% (just hypothetical numbers) depending on the situation and driving conditions. How it decides what to use is more governed by economy it seems than anything else and somewhat unpredictable, which is fine when you want to cruise for hooch I suppose, but for people who actually like to DRIVE the car it's a less than ideal setup. Not only that, but the OEM response curve is exponential, meaning that for a given situation you may get more travel in the first third of pedal input than the remaining 2/3's (again hypothetical ranges), and of course that variable too depending on the situation it seems. All together this makes for a very inconsistent somewhat imprecise throttle feel that while tolerable, is again less the ideal for someone who wants/needs precise control like a cable setup (autox, circuit racing, etc.). Add in that you may be able to dial out the slight delay and revhang that's built into the OEM setup for emissions and have the ability to adjust setups on the fly, and this is a mod that could greatly alter the feel and drivability of your car more than almost anything else. Now, if that doesn't mean much to you, or your not the type who can notice and appreciate what this kind of mod can bring to the table, too bad for you; this conversation's not for you then so don't waste our time.

As for it being on the fly, from the teaser shot on Pivot's HP, looks like a controller/display unit that mounts in the cabin like there other stuff. I would imagine Blitz is the same deal, so I'm assuming on-the-fly adjustments/feedback, but won't know for sure until more info's posted.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
EDIT: double post fixed. Yea, new browser.

Last edited by Chikubi; 02-19-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
wow, this will be wicked! Can't wait

Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'd pay $350 just to have it open the throttle when I push the pedal and to not have it revhang. I find it VERY annoying.

Would a Hondata or some other reflash/programmer fix it? On my Superduty the Superchips programmer made the throttle feel like a cable operated one (and added 150hp )

Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Before you guys go off and purchase this thing, you might wanna check to see if the cruise control will be affected by adding this mod. Since we no longer have a unit that pulls on the gas pedal to adjust speed during cruise control, this might affect the way our cruise control works. My $0.02, please find out if this affects that.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Tagging for interest.

Also wondering how Sport mode would be affected for us A/T guys...

Last edited by Wave; 02-19-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
psh

Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Before you guys go off and purchase this thing, you might wanna check to see if the cruise control will be affected by adding this mod. Since we no longer have a unit that pulls on the gas pedal to adjust speed during cruise control, this might affect the way our cruise control works. My $0.02, please find out if this affects that.
my cruise doesnt work anyway, after i put on my exhaust. i think its something to do w/ AF but idk... it works once in a while but never when i want it to... i could really care less about cruise. i just hate how i get the same acceleration out of 1/2 throttle as i do full throttle

Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
Personally, I could care less about quarter mile.
Problem with DBW Fit throttle body is that compensates for every mod made to the intake by closing the butterfly more!
I connected AutoEnginuity software on my laptop and drove my Fit in 5th gear(A/T Fit) uphill flat out and ECU kept closing the butterfly more with every higher flowing mod. I went through short ram, fully thermally insulated shorty with a ram air through top front grille, full CAI with ram air through bottom grile,...... Butterfly never opened past 78%!!! That is 3/4 its capacity. It keeps reducing air amount instead of increasing injector duration. If this mod can help us piggyback ECU in conjunction with injector duty cycle mod such as Jackson Racing supercharger fuel mod or even stand alone ECU, that would be great.
OEM Subaru WRX ECU is stand alone Denso unit that is fully programmable. It uses air flow sensor instead of mas air, but......

I know Fit is heavier than my CRX, but 100cc difference is not enough to make a difference as huge as the performance between the two cars. Two cars are night and day to drive at this point.
I am confident that managing the DBW throttle as close to cable one would "free up" more power from (IMO) useless mods at the moment such as headers and exhaust ($300-600 for 2-3HP?!).
It is not the raw power I am after so much, but that snappiness I miss from my CRX.
Ivan
I don't know what mods are on your CRX, but I'd look to the huge weight difference and the difference in gearing if there is one before I spent 350$ on something like this.

What were your MAF sensor readings before and after the intake mods? That'll tell you if your intake actually did anything. BTW, "air flow sensor" and mass air are the same thing. Its either MAP or MAF readings that are used by the ECU as one parameter to control fuel/spark/etc. And you're saying the WRX is fully programmable because you can send it out to get chipped? Definitely not the same as a standalone, and good luck putting a WRX ECU into a Fit either way.

Just like how a bigger TB isn't going to do anything on a basically stock car other than make the throttle modulation complete sh*t and lower the intake velocities, opening the TB up more if the motor can't move that much air will do absolutely nothing. Usually engineers have pretty good reasons for the things they do.

PS: who said anything about quarter mile?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Are you an idiot? One of the Fit's biggest annoyances and issues for a lot of drivers is the non-linear response of the DBW setup. Unlike a cable setup, with the way the Fit's DBW is set up now when you give say 50% throttle it may only give you 45% or it may give maybe 60% (just hypothetical numbers) depending on the situation and driving conditions. How it decides what to use is more governed by economy it seems than anything else and somewhat unpredictable, which is fine when you want to cruise for hooch I suppose, but for people who actually like to DRIVE the car it's a less than ideal setup. Not only that, but the OEM response curve is exponential, meaning that for a given situation you may get more travel in the first third of pedal input than the remaining 2/3's (again hypothetical ranges), and of course that variable too depending on the situation it seems. All together this makes for a very inconsistent somewhat imprecise throttle feel that while tolerable, is again less the ideal for someone who wants/needs precise control like a cable setup (autox, circuit racing, etc.). Add in that you may be able to dial out the slight delay and revhang that's built into the OEM setup for emissions and have the ability to adjust setups on the fly, and this is a mod that could greatly alter the feel and drivability of your car more than almost anything else. Now, if that doesn't mean much to you, or your not the type who can notice and appreciate what this kind of mod can bring to the table, too bad for you; this conversation's not for you then so don't waste our time.

As for it being on the fly, from the teaser shot on Pivot's HP, looks like a controller/display unit that mounts in the cabin like there other stuff. I would imagine Blitz is the same deal, so I'm assuming on-the-fly adjustments/feedback, but won't know for sure until more info's posted.

Can you point me to some data? A graph of pedal position vs throttle position/engine load/MAF voltage, perhaps?

I'll respond more fully after work, but I always enjoy the "you obviously aren't savvy enough to need this" argument when kids defend their overpriced JDM goodies. I will give you a teaser, though: pedal position is linked to engine torque or engine load, not throttle position in most DBW setups, and that delay is most likely NOT for emissions reasons.

edit: nice job calling a moderator an idiot.

Last edited by fshwcrs; 02-19-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Can you point me to some data? A graph of pedal position vs throttle position/engine load/MAF voltage, perhaps?

I'll respond more fully after work, but I always enjoy the "you obviously aren't savvy enough to need this" argument when kids defend their overpriced JDM goodies. I will give you a teaser, though: pedal position is linked to engine torque or engine load, not throttle position in most DBW setups, and that delay is most likely NOT for emissions reasons.

edit: nice job calling a moderator an idiot.
First, I'm no kid, and second, I call them like I see them. Mod or not, anyone who comes into a thread and posts with no constructive purpose other than to berate the people having a conversation is an idiot pure and simple. You wouldn't be the first mod here or on any other forum that's guilty of being a dope, and probably not the last. Mod status means nothing if you don't have tact enough to warrant it, so go wave your magic wand at someone else because I'm not impressed.

That said and out of my system, I do admit I don't have any graphs of the relation of throttle, throttle body, load, etc. for the Fit's DBW setup. I've never found any on the web and Honda doesn't seem keen on sharing it either. Now, if it's in the tech manual then I apologize as I don't have a copy. If you have access to it or know in detail it's workings, than man up, redeem yourself, and share because I would find it really interesting and useful as would others here.

Also, I'm not defending anything, and I could care less if these controllers came from Japan or Detroit; I simply want a way to mod the response of the DBW to provide a more consistent linear feel and quicker response to throttle input than we have now. If you think that simply adjusting this would have no measurable effect, then go talk to an early 06' SI owner what their car felt like before and after the DBW reflash; night and day difference and the only thing adjusted was the DBW setup. You also mention that Honda engineers must know what they're doing, so they always are right. That may be so, but their priorities are not mine and a number of other drivers either, hence mods like this and mods in general. Nothing is perfect stock, it's always a compromise that works in or out of your favor depending on what you want/need. In the Fit's case, the DBW is not tuned for performance, hence my wanting to change it. I mean, if you want to make a similar comparison, the OEM tires just rock for autox and track use, don't they? Honda engineers chose those too, so they must know what they're doing.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
My internet connection went down while I was typing my first response

Basically, I was going to say what Chikubi said. The engineers of small economy cars have many higher priorities when establishing a program than performance. They first focus on safety, reliability, emmissions, economy etc.

I know that a simple reflash of my trucks ECU made the driving enjoyment immensely better just by having the pedal tell the injectors (no TB on a diesel) exactly what I wanted.

As for the 70% throttle opening at WOT, that makes no sense. As fshwcrs said, a motor will only take in the amount of air that it needs (unless boosted). There were no ill effects in the past with cable driven throttle bodies being wide open when the motor didn't need all the air. Why not let the throttle body be WOT when I tell it? Maybe the engineers were a little off and the car could use 71% of available air...maybe 72%...maybe even more if you have I/H/E...why not have the TB at WOT? Let the motor take in all the air that it can and make as much power as possible. The reason they don't...economy and emmissions!

I guess I'm just old enough (35) to remember how much better cars drove and responded before all of this computer junk!

Last edited by GAFIT; 02-19-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle controllers, yea!