Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

OMG Voided Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:46 AM
Exclamation OMG Voided Warranty!

So I called my local Honda dealership today to ask if I added a sri and some new springs to my fit if it would void my extended 10 year warranty...AND THEY SAID YES!!!! wtf?!?! anyone know if this is true? If it is...my dreams are shattered. Please let me know if this is true or if the guy at the dealership is just a A-1 dumbass.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:00 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i'm pretty sure he is wrong haha. those parts would have to be the cause of damage in order for them to not repair something under warranty.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 AM
I have gone to the dealer lowered with an intake and exhaust, still got warranty work done. Depends on if your problem has anything to do with your mods, if they do they have no obligation to warranty.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Ahhh. So, like what could happen if I lowered my car of put in a new intake? Also, if I had the dealer do it and something went wrong, would my warranty still be voided? I am a total noob so please forgive my ignorance!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:34 AM
The dealer will not put any aftermarket parts on your car. That said, if your problem could possibly, at all have to do with your mods, they will not cover it. If you lower and your struts and shocks go out you better go back to stock and come up with a good story, otherwise once they see aftermarket springs they will most likely tell you to walk. same goes for for the intake, anything it touches goes wrong they will likely blame it on the intake.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 AM
So your saying if I installed a SRI or chambered intake and the exhaust or header went south, I would prolly be screwed? Way lame!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
this has been covered. this is how the warranty works:

Let's say u install an intake and ur ABS sensor goes bad. The dealership CANNOT say that the intake is the cause of the ABS sensor going bad! However, if ur engine blows up or something, they CAN and i guarantee they will blame the intake and NOT do the warranty repairs. Another example. If u lower ur car and the o2 sensor goes bad, they can't blame the aftermarket springs the culprit. Now however, if ur shocks blow or ur lower control arm snaps, yes they can void THAT PART of the repair ONLY, not the entire thing. Third example (personal experience). My battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore after about a year. Well i have an amplifier and i KNEW they were going 2 blame the amplifier for "draining the battery cuz it's pulling more electricity" crap so i just took off the amplifier power wire off the terminal and hid it somewhere in the engine bay, took it in and WHAM a new battery for free. =] The aftermarket part has to be directly related to the part that needs warranty service. But if ur concerned, do what the rest of us fitfreakers are doing. If you have to go in for any kind of maintenance, take off the aftermarket part that is in direct relation to the part needing service (if ur engine blows up, take the intake off THEN take it 2 the dealer and just play dumb). Oh btw i have the extended 10 yr warranty also and i'm way beyond simple mods haha. it'll take me a whole day to remove all my aftermarket parts. =]

Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 AM
Having an intake wont make any part of your exhaust go out. There are a lot of Fit Freakers with these mods that haven't had a single problem. On the bright side if you do have a problem, they are just simple mods that are easy mods to take off before you head to the dealer.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
When I took my Fit in for it's first oil change - I talked with one of the guys in service about a K & N cold air intake- he said it would not void the warranty. He said the way the Fit and Civic people add mods they would be out of business if they voided the warranties for certain mods. Of course, they will not install anything other than stock parts so finding a good garage or moding garage is vital. KoolKevin is 100 % right - about the rest. Great advice and from his personal experiences.

Cat :x

Old 04-13-2008, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Your warranty is not voided unless the dealership can prove that the aftermarket part caused a/the problem.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
Of course, they will not install anything other than stock parts so finding a good garage or moding garage is vital.
Man, I must be lucky w/ my dealer 'cause they'll do pretty much whatever I ask them to. They had a field day when they put on my exhaust b/c it was so light (J's Racing) no one could believe it. I've even been in the work bay to check stuff over before they dropped the car from the lift, no problem.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Man, I must be lucky w/ my dealer 'cause they'll do pretty much whatever I ask them to. They had a field day when they put on my exhaust b/c it was so light (J's Racing) no one could believe it. I've even been in the work bay to check stuff over before they dropped the car from the lift, no problem.
Wow You are lucky! Our local Honda service will not install anything other than certified Honda parts. I purchased my floor mats, cargo cover and exhaust finisher from them which they installed for free but after that
they will not touch the car with aftermarket parts or anything that is not a Honda certified parts.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sam Misled
So I called my local Honda dealership today to ask if I added a sri and some new springs to my fit if it would void my extended 10 year warranty...AND THEY SAID YES!!!! wtf?!?! anyone know if this is true? If it is...my dreams are shattered. Please let me know if this is true or if the guy at the dealership is just a A-1 dumbass.
Hey Sam Misled-
IMO you are skating on thin ice when ever you modify a new/used car with aftermarket parts that is still under warranty. It is your word against theirs and most of the time u will lose! Dealerships do not play around NOR do they LIKE IT when a car comes in modded.
U are taking a risk....question, why would you get a extended warranty when you know you are going to mod your car! This never made sense to me.....I stuck with the basic 36K warranty, why pay the extra money if you are going to take a chance on getting your warranty voided.
In ending.....modding cars in general is NOT CHEAP.....very expensive....so if you do not have the cash flow to back up if something goes wrong....your screwed.
I wish you luck!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Sucks to hear about Dealers being so stingy. My dealer here in Iowa will give me 30% off of any install and they installed my header, axleback, aftermarket wheels and tires, and swapped my TPMS sensors and programmed them. They will be doing my B-pipe too. The best part about it is when they install stuff I am right next to my car on the lift checkin it out talkin to the mechanics. Then after it's all done, the mechanic sits it outside and my service guy and the tech come out to here the difference and sometimes want a ride lol. They told me not to worry about warranty for basic modder bolt ons, only when I start the Supercharger thoughts to think twice~

Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Retired Moderator
I'm still a little bitter that the chipped paint problem on our bumpers due to the crappy paint. I installed my Ventureshield clear bra a week after getting my Fit to prevent rock chips and damage to my paint, but they wouldn't cover the removal of the clear bra or the install of a new one after repaint. Even if you mod your car to PREVENT bad things from happening, they still won't cover it...kind of stupid if you ask me.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
damn guys

this is the simplest problem to resolve ever if all your doing is an intake/exhaust keep your oem parts and put them back on if something goes wrong, LMAO !! poor subaru just couldnt figure out why my friend kept detonating difs LOL

Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Reinert79
this is the simplest problem to resolve ever if all your doing is an intake/exhaust keep your oem parts and put them back on if something goes wrong, LMAO !! poor subaru just couldnt figure out why my friend kept detonating difs LOL

There is a trick to this method though. If you go to your Honda dealership for servicing, make sure you remove all aftermarket parts before you go in for service. They will record what mods you have done if you leave them in so you can't argue in the future.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
thats why you hit up a different dealership everytime haha.

i sucked in water with my cold air. it basically just blew the 02 sensor and the a/f sensor. put my stock intake back on, took it in...they replaced it no questions asked

Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by space cowboy
The dealer will not put any aftermarket parts on your car. That said, if your problem could possibly, at all have to do with your mods, they will not cover it. If you lower and your struts and shocks go out you better go back to stock and come up with a good story, otherwise once they see aftermarket springs they will most likely tell you to walk. same goes for for the intake, anything it touches goes wrong they will likely blame it on the intake.
That is not 100% true. There are dealerships that are out there that will install aftermarket products and will allow you to keep your warranty, BUT they are few and far between.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 AM
The dealer i bought my fit from sells skunk2 and fujita products.

You might have to check your extended warranty contract but I am pretty sure unless it is the source of the problem, the warranty won't be voided by aftermarket products.