Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Review: Weapon R Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Review: Weapon R Intake Manifold

It has been a long wait, but the Weapon R intake manifold has been installed and with the help of AJ Racing, we dialed it in via a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate engine management system in for the best gains....

Picture courtesy of Smatts, thanks in advance for the great shot!

Ok, first thing first. You MUST have either a fuel computer or Engine management system in order to run this manifold. Ben (AJR) confirmed this when they were tuning it. Don't assume you can just throw this in without one or you will be disappointed.

Installation seems pretty straight forward, pull of the old manifold and put on the new one. Not rocket science, but it will take you some time. I can't comment on it too much, the guys down at AJR took care of this for me

Results from this modification feel fantastic, seems to really improve the low end power and adds a lot to the upper power band as well. Engine noise is increased, you can hear all of the little parts ticking away once the old manifold has been removed. Also you can heard a distinct sucking sound when you shift anytime you are accelerating, sounds very cool. As you push into the upper RPM the engine noise is also greatly increased, it sounds much more aggressive.

One of the bad things about this modification however is it triggers a CEL. I had AJR look at it the next day after the light first appeared, the way I understand the problem is the engine detects too much air coming into the engine and it trips the CEL. I guess there is a similar problem that occurs when using a supercharger or Turbo system. I will be trying to understand the problem more in the coming weeks and hopefully there is a fix available.

In conclusion I am happy with the product. I wanted a distinctive looking manifold that matched my Fujita CAI and this came pretty close I am happy with the performance, the more aggressive sound is really fantastic without being too overkill and when mixed in with the other modifications and a tuning system the overall performance has been really great.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-23-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Wow. Been looking forward for this. Any clue how much and when it will be released? Will you be going onto the dyno soon and see how much gained the Fit made?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
If you are interested I would encourage you to give Leo a call over at Weapon -R and see if you can get your name on the pre-order list. Here is the thread below;

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...-manifold.html

Base price is 500$, add 50$ for the optional fuel computer.

Right now I am running the CAI, the T1R header and full 50S exhuast system. With the addition of the manifold and tune from AJR. I am still waiting on the T1R pulley from them, maybe a cat delete as well... once I have that I might pursue a dyno. I will be pretty happy if I can put down 115whp. Can't go wrong with a 25whp gain on a tiny car like this

Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
on the weapon r website, it says they will be in stock on april 30th. thats a good looking part. i think im going to have to drive down to weapon r and check one out in person. also, what is the optional fuel computer? arent you running emanage?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:51 AM
So what is the air fuel ratio without e-manage? When corrected how does the a/f ratio look? Any before and after dyno results?

Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
keep us posted on what is causing the CEL. i'm very interested in this IM.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
on the weapon r website, it says they will be in stock on april 30th. thats a good looking part. i think im going to have to drive down to weapon r and check one out in person. also, what is the optional fuel computer? arent you running emanage?
I have e-manage, you either have to have one or the other.

So what is the air fuel ratio without e-manage? When corrected how does the a/f ratio look? Any before and after dyno results?
Without the corrected AF the engine runs lean and knocks. No dyno as of yet, still waiting on more parts. You could always shoot Ben (AJ Racing) an e-mail if you have questions about the tuning map.

keep us posted on what is causing the CEL. i'm very interested in this IM.
Will do, I don't fully understand what is happening yet. Something to do with the EGR.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Just an update, I have posted up the CEL issue on the other thread (posted above) with more technical information about the problem. I would imagine they have a solution for this problem, check back for more info later!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
wow...drooling on ur engine..sorry u will need to wipe that off....
love that shot with it on ..

Old 05-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Fit Freak Member
Looks great. I would be interested in seeing before and after AF numbers as well

Old 05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I think Ben over at AJR would be able to supply you with the before and after AF's if you PM him.

Was hoping to have the CEL resolved this weekend, however that probably won't happen now until next weekend.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
friggin wow man
that looks great
can't wait to see numbers!

-Ricky

Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I think Ben over at AJR would be able to supply you with the before and after AF's if you PM him.

Was hoping to have the CEL resolved this weekend, however that probably won't happen now until next weekend.
i hope you get the CEL issue solved soon. i want this IM... but i don't want a CEL.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
i hope you get the CEL issue solved soon. i want this IM... but i don't want a CEL.
Should be a quick fix, but we will see

Old 05-04-2008, 02:14 AM
Any idea on how the op fuel computer would work... not as good as e-mange but, if e-mange its bit out of your price range, what do you suggest???

Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
From what Ben was telling me if this was your only modification to the stock Fit then you would actually be ok. Once you start adding headers, intakes & exhuast systems it leans out the engine too much and you have to do something about it or you will get knocking.

For 50$ I don't think you can beat the Weapon-R fuel computer price and I have a feeling they have it setup for an I/H/E configuration. Your best bet is to e-mail them and get some more details on it. For me I knew I was using E-manage before I even ordered the manifold so I didn't really look into the details of this controller product.

If I was to guess I would say it is just a signal modifier that plugs into your harness somewhere, but that is purely speculation.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Well that sounds good to me. All I plan on installing is the manifold to my intake with the weapon R street header and some exhuast( not sure yet on which one).

Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
How are you doing on gas now?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have had a bit of a lead foot since I got the upgrade, however gas mileage seems pretty close to what I was getting before. Next time I fill up I will track my city mileage.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Bump for a 6.5 year update.

Quick Reply: Review: Weapon R Intake Manifold