Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Tech: Questions about the Honda Jazz

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Tech: Questions about the Honda Jazz

Hi there!

I've been working with Honda Tuning for the past 5 years now. When I became a dad I had to sell my ITR and my Civic (w. ITR swap) and go for something cheaper - and I've choosen the Jazz. Still havent gotten it tho...

The Jazz is due for US release in mid 06, and the market for tuning the Jazz is bound to explode. I can only speculate that the Jazz will be the new lightweight Civic/CRX over there. Cheap with small engine, but great potential for tuning - where my area of expertice lay.

Since I don't have a Jazz - I don't have a car to rip appart. So this is what I need to know.

1. Is the Jazz ECU OBD2A?
2. Does it use a Wideband or Narrowband O2?
3. Whats the CC rating on the injectors?
4. Whats the Duty Cycle @ WOT?
5. Does the GD1/GD3 use a secondary O2 sensor in/or/after the CAT?

Thanks guys!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:10 AM
So this is what I found:

1. Yes - its OBD2A
2. Uses a regular Narrowband O2 sensor
3. Injectors are rated 240 CC
4. Duty Cycle @ WOT is 88%
5. Varies from region.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Although it is OBD2A, what are really the choices we would have for tuning this ECU?

I am guessing Hondata is already gearing up for some sort of reflash....but it will likely not require the complete control of say crome or K-Pro until more serious engine swaps make it into the car.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 PM
I am guessing Hondata is already gearing up for some sort of reflash...
As much as I am crossing my fingers and praying at night - I seriously doubt the crew in Hondata even heard of the Jazz... Yet. But I stand fast in my beliefs - the Jazz WILL be a success in the USA, and when sales go up, parts come out. Parts need tuning - and Hondata would be one of the first obvious ways to go.

I think, right now - that AEM's EMS might be fittable. Im told tho - that the adapter harness is ... fubar.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Doug at Hondata has heard of the Fit/Jazz, since he is originally from New Zealand.....where I believe the Fit is being sold already?

Anyhow, the harness isn't much of an issue if one was to try AEM, since somebody would be able to put together a harness converter.

Since the 1.5 is HOPEFULLY what we will be getting in N.America, I think tuners like Spoon have been able to extract another 20ps from the stock configuration. I believe a lot of it must have to do with conservative timing maps from the factory.

All this waiting....reminds me of 1996 when I was counting the days and scouring the boards for the first signs of the Type-R in Canada....

Old 08-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Does the engine management system have 3D mapping to control the fuel injection system as found on PGM-FI Honda bikes since the 90s? How many holes does each injector have? 12?

3D mapping provides reasonable scope for mild intake, fuel and exhaust modifications as long as those modifications don't go beyond the mapped range.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:18 AM
5. Does the GD1/GD3 use a secondary O2 sensor in/or/after the CAT?

the first batch jazz (early model), the O2 sensor is located before the CAT, with the newer batch the O2 sensors one is located before the CAT and one after the CAT... this is in Australia