Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

How to get more air circulation under the hood?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
How to get more air circulation under the hood?

I am looking for the most cost effective way to encourage more air circulation under the hood to lower temps a bit.

It feels like a heat wave every time I open the hood now that I have my new manifold installed and it isn't even the summer yet!

There are a few options I know of; hoods, under skid pans, air deflectors, grill inserts, supplement fans, ect.

Which option is going to provide the biggest bang for the buck

Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
ditch the fog lights and put in custom ducting to the engine bay. upgrade the cooling system. hood scoop.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Washers under the hood hinges to angle the hood and vent it in the back.
Run w/o a hood, joking

Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
do the washer trick. i have 11 on each side.

well on each bolt heh.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:47 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i got an idea from looking at my friends ferrari to get more air to the engine in any car. the ferrari had vents inside the wheel well in the rear (where the engine is) with like a small mesh screen over the inside of it. what if you drilled out a few holes and put some screen on the inside of it or went to the hardware store and got some vents to put on the inside of your wheel well.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitting
Washers under the hood hinges to angle the hood and vent it in the back.
Run w/o a hood, joking
lol, great way to keep my engine clean too

All good suggestions, I have a feeling the best way is to use an after market hood w/ scoop in conjunction with the vented skid pan.

However I am shying away from hoods over the price and bolt on hood scoops mostly over the tackiness I also like my foggies!

I think I am going to look at either some custom ducting or ways to deflect air more efficiently to start.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Take out the grill.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I removed a little black shoud from just above the fan yesterday, it opened up the grill to let more air in.... it just snapped off with 4 pins.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Try a ceramic header insulation like Swain Tech or Jet-Hot.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
i got an idea from looking at my friends ferrari to get more air to the engine in any car. the ferrari had vents inside the wheel well in the rear (where the engine is) with like a small mesh screen over the inside of it. what if you drilled out a few holes and put some screen on the inside of it or went to the hardware store and got some vents to put on the inside of your wheel well.
Or you could buy the ARC racing part that does this exact samething i believe

Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the best way to have a ram air is from the bottom going up vs. venting hood or something of that sort.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
the best way to have a ram air is from the bottom going up vs. venting hood or something of that sort.
This sounds good, any chance you have some photo examples handy?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
sorry i dont.

it was a technical performance method with a bunch of physics involved in help explaining why it was better getting air to flow bottom to top.

also, why do u really need to be concerned with underhood temps? when the car is moving it does not get as hot vs. at a standstill. If u want to reduce radiating heat from the manifold, get it coated. This would be the better route of doing it.

I recommend swaintech.com. Best in the business imo, whether it be exhaust manifolds, intake manis, combustion chambers, etc etc. i've tried polydyn, jethot, and HPC. none compares to swaintech.

When i first installed the turbo, underhood temps were unbearable. i got the manifold, exhaust side, and downpipe coated with Polydyn/HPC/Jethot (all similar stuff to each other btw). It helped only a little. So i tried out swaintech. BAAM, underhood temps drastically decreased (a bit cooler than stock). I everything is so much cooler than it was before.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
rake hood or get a vented hood.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX
sorry i dont.

it was a technical performance method with a bunch of physics involved in help explaining why it was better getting air to flow bottom to top.

also, why do u really need to be concerned with underhood temps? when the car is moving it does not get as hot vs. at a standstill. If u want to reduce radiating heat from the manifold, get it coated. This would be the better route of doing it.

I recommend swaintech.com. Best in the business imo, whether it be exhaust manifolds, intake manis, combustion chambers, etc etc. i've tried polydyn, jethot, and HPC. none compares to swaintech.

When i first installed the turbo, underhood temps were unbearable. i got the manifold, exhaust side, and downpipe coated with Polydyn/HPC/Jethot (all similar stuff to each other btw). It helped only a little. So i tried out swaintech. BAAM, underhood temps drastically decreased (a bit cooler than stock). I everything is so much cooler than it was before.
Since I have had everything installed even if I go for a quick drive after I pop the hood the amount of heat coming out is concerning me. It isn't even all that warm here yet.

I can't really afford to send off my header for coating, both from a cost side and a logistical side. I need my car for daily driving.

I am wondering if I can get away with using some header wrap

I also have some idea's on how to create an air ram from below. I will have a closer look this weekend to see how feesible it is.

Originally Posted by bryanback
You're suggesting speed holes. Those generally go in the hood to make the car go faster.
Sweet, speed holes!!

Originally Posted by solbrothers
rake hood or get a vented hood.
So much cost!! Plus I will loose my stealthy stock look that keeps the 5.0 off my back.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
a header wrap or the swaintech will reduce engine bay temperature a lot.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by bryanback
You're suggesting speed holes. Those generally go in the hood to make the car go faster.
I think that came from an episode of The Simpsons.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
a header wrap or the swaintech will reduce engine bay temperature a lot.
Damn, I am out of time. This seems cheap and easy, will give it a try before I hit the course tommorow in +29 weather.... gulp

Old 05-16-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Drive without the hood

Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Is it bad I have considered this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get more air circulation under the hood?