Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

L15 Power Outputs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I think the little L15 can handle 200whp on a stock block. I just don't know how long yet. I am guessing with a great tune it would last a couple of years.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the L15 can handle 400, or so i've read... 200 is gonna be easy with the high boost, considering Chris wasn nearly @ 170 with the 5lb/injectors/H/E.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor
The limitation of the L15 engine is the cylinder head. Unfortunately, Honda did not build big ports in the L15, or leave very much material to port. Once you begin shaping your port, you will break through on the head.

A reliable 200whp on this engine will be extremely difficult, because you will have to push beyond what the cylinder head capability is. The port to each valve is about the size of my pinky finger.

I do not mean to be a dream slayer, but we have attempted on our Time Attack Fit engine.

-OJR

Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
A reliable 200whp on this engine will be extremely difficult
NoOoOoOoOoO!

That means there won't be as much gain with the high-boost then i previously assumed?
Meaning : 10lbs kit + Headers + Cat Delete + Intercooler < 200HP? dam...

Of course that's not your fault because of the fact that you're limited by the engine itself, thats something you have no control over. DAHWELL!

The intercooler option is being explored, but our kit does not require huge amounts of cooling.
Necessary or not, i think it's something everone wants lol...
You really should do it

Old 04-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by KraftWerks
The limitation of the L15 engine is the cylinder head. Unfortunately, Honda did not build big ports in the L15, or leave very much material to port. Once you begin shaping your port, you will break through on the head.

A reliable 200whp on this engine will be extremely difficult, because you will have to push beyond what the cylinder head capability is. The port to each valve is about the size of my pinky finger.

I do not mean to be a dream slayer, but we have attempted on our Time Attack Fit engine.

-OJR
so whats the most you think you can get out of the high boost with h/e?

Old 04-19-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KraftWerks

-OJR
How do the ports look? Think there would be a gain in extrude honing them? Sorry for such a newb question, but I'm new to Honda...don't know what their castings are like.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Former Vendor
I do not want to get into L15 engine building techniques in this thread. Like I said, I do not mean to be a dream slayer, but I did not want the idea of an "easy, reliable 200whp" to continue on. You guys are asking a lot of a very small, economy engine.

It's not just exhaust that is going to help the engine breathe. Like I said, the cylinder head is the limiting factor. It is just too small to swallow 200HP worth of air.

Remember, the L is an undersquare 1.5L; its a long stroke, small bore engine. With the small chamber, you get small valves. The Rod ratio, piston speed, etc... They are not optimal on this little engine.

Here is another example: A B16 and a D16 are technically the same size engine, but perform MUCH differently. The B16 is oversquare, and has a great chamber with good sized valves. The piston speeds are kept reasonable, and it has an excellent rod ratio. The list can go on and on...

The D has none of those features. It is undersquare, and has small valves.

Sorry guys, but that is the the L15.
Anyway, next topic regarding our supercharger!

-OJR