Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Test pipe+b-pipe+axleback=fart can? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/30673-test-pipe-b-pipe-axleback-fart-can.html)

joquio 09-04-2008 02:47 AM

Test pipe+b-pipe+axleback=fart can?

Ok here is the deal guys,

I just installed the T1R test pipe+Spoon B-pipe I got from a local member.
I already have the Aspec axleback. After I installed the parts I took the car for a quick spin. Now it was nightmare.... I felt soooo embarassed for the whole night. :( :mad: The car got noticable louder and I could understand that but whenever I "stepped" on the gas a bit harder the car sounds like it's gonna explode lol really high pitched ricer fart can tone. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I took the car the next morning to have the stock cat and stock muffler installed back on because I couldn't stand the sound any more seconds....

tone is drasticly reduced and I will probably have my aspec axleback installed back on tomorrow to see if it is still ok.

My point is, is it normal when you have the test pipe(cat delete) installed?
Or could it be exhaust leak? I always hear this pssshhh sound when I step on gas but my friend check for me and told me it's because of the straight through flowing b-pipe I have.

PS: Is there suppose be a gasket between the testpipe and b-pipe? Because I could find my stock one as I have looked on both end and I looked up on bernardiparts and they had one between oem cat and b-pipe in the image.
Any input ?:wavey:

Fa1 09-04-2008 03:01 AM

Sounds like a leak to me. You're suppose to have gaskets between all pipes.

Spooling 09-04-2008 03:07 AM

high pitched? mine sounds really low pitched. but running a test pipe on a mild modded Fit is kinda embarassing already. you can always go FI for quieter exhaust.

spoonek4 09-04-2008 03:08 AM

I gotta see your car in real & see if there's any leak, but it's hard to contact u on MSN.....

It's quite normal if it gets high pitch loud if u use an Aspec muffler though, same thing with APEXi N1 due to the big piping on the axleback part. If u want it to be quieter I suggest u to install the stock cat back on or some other muffler(like Mugen_Dom's Mugen muffler) on to your car.

joquio 09-04-2008 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1WayFit (Post 415534)
high pitched? mine sounds really low pitched. but running a test pipe on a mild modded Fit is kinda embarassing already. you can always go FI for quieter exhaust.

Do you have cat delete installed?

joquio 09-04-2008 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fa1 (Post 415532)
Sounds like a leak to me. You're suppose to have gaskets between all pipes.

I do have gaskets on all EXCEPT between cat ---> B-pipe :o I couldn't find the stock gasket? (burned?)

joquio 09-04-2008 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by spoonek4 (Post 415535)
I gotta see your car in real & see if there's any leak, but it's hard to contact u on MSN.....

It's quite normal if it gets high pitch loud if u use an Aspec muffler though, same thing with APEXi N1 due to the big piping on the axleback part. If u want it to be quieter I suggest u to install the stock cat back on or some other muffler(like Mugen_Dom's Mugen muffler) on to your car.

Thanks for the input jacky, I still need to make an appointment with you for the alignment.... let me hop on msn now:p

Spooling 09-04-2008 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 415542)
Do you have cat delete installed?

megan header->t1r test pipe->t1r b-pipe->t1r 50s
it sounds really low profile under 3k rpm, then it goes berserk after that :vtec:

Fa1 09-04-2008 03:27 AM

If I remember correctly I think the stock gasket was a donut gasket so you need a flat gasket which would come with the exhaust, but since you got it second hand you'll need another one.

joquio 09-04-2008 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1WayFit (Post 415546)
megan header->t1r test pipe->t1r b-pipe->t1r 50s
it sounds really low profile under 3k rpm, then it goes berserk after that :vtec:

Like really loud and raspy? My ears almost explodes if I step on it really hard with the test pipe installed.
Would having a aftermarket header quiet things down?

Spooling 09-04-2008 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 415548)
Like really loud and raspy? My ears almost explodes if I step on it really hard with the test pipe installed.
Would having a aftermarket header quiet things down?

loud, deep and vibrant, not raspy. yea having a hi-flow header will tune the volume down a bit. but you will lose a lot of low end torque.
gotta save up for turbo :)

Fa1 09-04-2008 03:41 AM

It's probably just better to keep the stock cat on if it's too loud for the few hp you gain.

joquio 09-04-2008 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fa1 (Post 415557)
It's probably just better to keep the stock cat on if it's too loud for the few hp you gain.

Thanks for the input!
I will look into getting a flat gasket, any idea where to get those?

Fa1 09-04-2008 03:45 AM

Any auto-parts store should have them. What's the inner diameter of the spoon b-pipe btw?

joquio 09-04-2008 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1WayFit (Post 415555)
loud, deep and vibrant, not raspy. yea having a hi-flow header will tune the volume down a bit. but you will lose a lot of low end torque.
gotta save up for turbo :)

HKS or Greddy? :vtec:
It's hard to resist getting one when you already have the funding:hyper:
But it's just not the right time for me to turbo this car yet:(

joquio 09-04-2008 05:55 AM

so one more question,
1) oem cat+Spoon b-pipe+aspec axleback
or
2) T1R testpipe+oem b-pipe+aspec axleback

which one would yield more gain?

GD3-Fit 09-04-2008 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 415569)
so one more question,
or

^
it's hard to say
i'd think they are maybe about equal
i have a gasket between my TP and B-pipe
my exhaust is a little loud but if i take the spoon n1 off it's super loud

-Ricky

isthata_scion 09-04-2008 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 415569)
so one more question,
or

I think it would make more sense to do option #1. you dont want less restrictive testpipe, then stock bpipe, then a less restrictive axleback. Just a thought though.

Mr08FiT 09-04-2008 01:51 PM

Same...

This is exactly why I sold my Test-Pipe, I have A-spec: header, b-pipe, axel back. When I had the test-pipe on there was no header but the sound that came out the that exhaust was just awfull. I mean, to quote "Fart can" raspy. So I sold test pipe got header, leave everything else don't worry about power gains. Leave stock cat, and just grab a header. IMO

fung88 09-04-2008 02:14 PM

same reason why i sold my testpipe actually! it was just wayy too loud for my commute!

JamesBizzle 09-04-2008 02:25 PM

I don't think a test pipe is necessary for daily driving, unless you're boosting, so if I were in your shoes I would go with option #1. stock cat> Spoon B-pipe > aspec axle back.

joquio 09-04-2008 03:10 PM

thanks for the inputs guys I'm putting back my stock cat back as I type.... hope it'll turn out for the better

Mr08FiT 09-04-2008 09:54 PM

nice...

Yeah for sure you're gonna be much happier, also grab a header while you're at it. It will be exactly what you want, assuming you'll want more once you hear the b-pipe+axel-back. Also, thats one damn fine grille you have there.

Pepperinyoureye 09-04-2008 09:57 PM

lol how much for the test pipe?

Raaaaaaaaaay. 09-04-2008 10:44 PM

Its because you have an Aspec B-pipe.
ANY type of canister muffler is going to be loud once a cat delete is in place.

And since its paired with a B-pipe its just added sound.

You need a "body" muffler; as I call it. Basically as the name says a muffler with a body. Not a straight canister.
An oval muffler, maybe a twin-loop?

I had/have a Netami Twinloop. With a header, test-pipe, and B-pipe it was plenty quiet.

joquio 09-04-2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by I Am Ray. (Post 416421)
Its because you have an Aspec B-pipe.

Oh no I have a Spoon B-pipe.
I think yeah it's basically what you guys said. It's the Aspec canister type axleback that's making those insane sounds. O_o

Anyways, I have the test pipe off with only the Spoon bpipe and axleback on. MUCH MUCH easier on my ears now lol.

I might be putting up the T1R test pipe for sale soon I might keep it. Depends on how soon I can pick up a T1R VIP axleback for a good price. :rolleyes:

jvm051 09-04-2008 10:50 PM

I have to ask, why even bother with a cat delete, on a car with this low of power? How much HP can it really add? 1-2 hp? or take away from the already lacking torque, and then give you the ever cool image of being considered a "ricer" Most cats these days are quite efficient and don't reduce power much, if at all. If your running forced induction, or for track days, then maybe, but if you remove all the restrictions on a exhaust system, it reduces backpressure so much you car becomes even slower. When I had my 06 Mustang GT, I almost removed the cats and installed a off road H-pipe, but decided against it, because it would only add about 5-10 RWHP, and exhaust fumes smell like shit. Not to mention all the unwanted attention you get from the Police, and depending on where you live, huge fines for removing emissions equmipment.

joquio 09-04-2008 10:50 PM

and yeah sorry Mr08Fit for taking up your time with your test pipe sale previously

ericman20 09-05-2008 12:24 AM

I have the T1R test pipe + T1R B-PIpe + Spoon N1. It was noticably loud at first and I was embarassed like you said, but afterawhile I got use to it wihtin the week. After that, I'm wanting to drive it more and more. I'm considering the skunk2 50mm cb (but EVOgarage said it's discont.) so I might go wit hthe skunk2 60mm. I've driven without the spoon n1 before so it's just testpipe and bpipe and ****, it sounded like open header v8 (NO JOKE!)

sam21 09-05-2008 04:17 AM

The fit with a test pipe and a canister type muffler sounds like shit!lol

I hated it.

If all else go aftermarket for all except for the cat. You'll be losing like 2hp,IF THAT,but the modest noise and privacy is damn worth it.

oh and yeah I hate loud exhausts if you can't tell by my sig.

FELIXY69 09-05-2008 05:26 AM

u drive a honda...anything on it will sound like a fart can.
i have megan header, megan down pipe, t1r b pipe, and noblesse 4 out exhaust...sounds really loud
then i got turbo sounds lower..but still sounds like a honda...

i hate it too..the point is...it's loud but it doesn't go fast.

joquio 09-05-2008 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by sam21 (Post 416761)
The fit with a test pipe and a canister type muffler sounds like shit!lol

I hated it.

If all else go aftermarket for all except for the cat. You'll be losing like 2hp,IF THAT,but the modest noise and privacy is damn worth it.

oh and yeah I hate loud exhausts if you can't tell by my sig.

LOL:rotfl: I like your sig

Raaaaaaaaaay. 09-05-2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 416428)
Oh no I have a Spoon B-pipe.
I think yeah it's basically what you guys said. It's the Aspec canister type axleback that's making those insane sounds. O_o

Anyways, I have the test pipe off with only the Spoon bpipe and axleback on. MUCH MUCH easier on my ears now lol.

I might be putting up the T1R test pipe for sale soon I might keep it. Depends on how soon I can pick up a T1R VIP axleback for a good price. :rolleyes:

I meant to say muffler. Sorry.
And a T1R VIP muffler will probably be louder than what you have now.

Reason; the resonator is tiny. The car is a muffler because it caps off the end of the exhaust system. But the VIP muffler is really a resonator with tips at the end.

I want the VIP muffler also. I offered some dude on here (selling his Fit) $300 for his and he wouldnt sell it. *SHRUGS*

jits14 09-05-2008 06:53 PM

If you want to loose the fart can sound, loose the fart can. I have a post under the mod forum with videos running a header back exhaust, testpipe, and just a straight pipe instead of a muffler. Its really f***in loud but sounds great.

Wave 09-05-2008 10:59 PM

I had the same problem...

J's Racing Header, Megan Racing testpipe, J's Racing B-Pipe, J's Racing Axleback ----> HOLY HELL LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Get an Apex'i WSII axleback and it will effectively cure your noise problem(thats what I did)

Fa1 09-05-2008 11:02 PM

What's up with that megan thrown into the mix lol. I mean you already have every other J's part, might as well go all the way!

Raaaaaaaaaay. 09-06-2008 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wave (Post 417592)
J's Racing Header, Megan Racing testpipe, J's Racing B-Pipe, J's Racing Axleback ----> HOLY HELL LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Get an Apex'i WSII axleback and it will effectively cure your noise problem(thats what I did)

Ohh my!!! I can imagine that! Since the J's B-pipe doesnt have a resonator and the muffler is basically a canister.

DAMN.... I bet it sounded good though. :D

Wave 09-06-2008 07:14 AM

the j's system sounded frickin' great....

for the first day or so but I'm 35 years old now and this car is my 120 mile per day roundtrip commuter....it was waaaaay too loud! the reason I went with the megan test pipe over the j's racing test pipe was because it has a resonator and is almost $500 less. I was hoping the megans resonator would keep the car somewhat quiet, man was I wrong! the apex world sport II axleback totally tamed the noise to much more acceptable levels.now I'm just waiting for kraftwerks to release their a/t supercharger kit.

Mr08FiT 09-06-2008 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by joquio (Post 416434)
and yeah sorry Mr08Fit for taking up your time with your test pipe sale previously

Joquio~ Sorry for never responding to you after a couple messages. That was my bad, and I should have just told you that I wanted to sell locally after visiting the post office. So over-all it was a d*ck-head move on my part, my apologies.

ericman20 09-08-2008 11:28 PM

anybody know if I have header + testpipe + catback will make my car really lean? If so, how lean? to a dangerous point?