Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

who makes oil cooler for GD3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
who makes oil cooler for GD3 ?

i need an oil cooler for my car
who makes a kit for our cars ?? GD3
thanks !

Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
thanks !
AJ-R has one.. its a universal kit. Pretty much any universal kit will do, I think mine is a 13 row oil cooler. You'll have to make a custom mount since there isn't a Honda Fit specific one.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
u have pic of it ?
i want to know how the oil sandwich block go on....is it greddy ?
does it relocate the filter as well ?
thanks

Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 AM
u have pic of it ?
i want to know how the oil sandwich block go on....is it greddy ?
does it relocate the filter as well ?
thanks
I don't have a pic of mine.. email Ben at AJ-R and he can email you the pic of the one they have on their car..

The oil sandwich plate goes over top of the stock oil filter location. Then the oil filter just screws onto that. The sandwich plate is fastened on with a special adapter. And no its not a greddy one

Old 09-21-2008, 01:44 AM
ooooh you gonna put it on your bumper???

Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I bought a used S2000 AP1 OEM sandwich cooler. This way you only have to run coolant lines and not worry about leaking oil.

thanks !

Old 09-24-2008, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
POST A PIC OF UR SET UP !!
thx

Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
tagged for interest.

Are you guys referng to a sandwhich block adaptor? That sits between the block and the filter? Is it the same as those that can also be used with oil temp and press Guages?

Thanks.

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 09-24-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
tagged for interest.

Are you guys referng to a sandwhich block adaptor? That sits between the block and the filter? Is it the same as those that can also be used with oil temp and press Guages?

Thanks.
I was wondering that as well, but I'm afraid that the answer is going to be no. I have a pressure/temperature sandwich plate, and I know for a fact that they directly flow-through past the sensors. The oil cooler plates actually divert the oil (sometimes thermostatically controlled) from going into the filter, and run it through the baby radiator, and then back to the other side of the sandwich plate into the filter. (it might actually run through the filter first, then the cooler, but you get the idea)

If you look at the cooler sandwich plate, you can't see through it. You can see right through the sensor plates, so I don't think it would be very effective for diverting the oil through the cooler.

I wonder if those finned oil filter sleeves could do anything for us. I've been thinking about an oil cooler for when my turbo comes in, but since I live up here in Michigan, the oil never breaks 140F in the winter in stock form, so after the turbo I'd only really need a little extra cooling if any until summer comes around again. Anyone have any experience with these? There's a lot of reports of their use with motorcycles, and the fit's motor really isn't that far off from a motorbike engine anyway. I don't want to give up my sensor plate, it took me a month of screwing with it to make it stop leaking.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Yes, it's a sandwich cooler. It's OEM Honda so it doesn't have the sensor ports like Greddy's and such. You don't have to worry about diverting the oil with a thermostat because it uses coolant and not air to cool the oil. With an air type oil cooler, you could possibly cool the oil too much, not so with this.

Since coolant is regulated to 180-200 degrees, using this will keep your oil in the optimal range. It will warm it up faster in cold starts, and cool it down when loads are high and oil temps are over the temperature of the coolant.

tagged for interest.

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
So turns out ben @ AJR always have a solution to anything Honda related !
i just got an oil cooler kit from them $290 for the whole kit, ss lines, oil filter block, fittings, and cooler.
which seems to be a pretty good deal. unit is made in TW ... so hopefully it won't leak.
will post pic later !

Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
So turns out ben @ AJR always have a solution to anything Honda related !
i just got an oil cooler kit from them $290 for the whole kit, ss lines, oil filter block, fittings, and cooler.
which seems to be a pretty good deal. unit is made in TW ... so hopefully it won't leak.
will post pic later !

Yup! same oil cooler kit I am running! I mounted mine in the same location as the AJ-R Time Attack Fit..

Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DallasPete
Yes, it's a sandwich cooler. It's OEM Honda so it doesn't have the sensor ports like Greddy's and such. You don't have to worry about diverting the oil with a thermostat because it uses coolant and not air to cool the oil. With an air type oil cooler, you could possibly cool the oil too much, not so with this.

Since coolant is regulated to 180-200 degrees, using this will keep your oil in the optimal range. It will warm it up faster in cold starts, and cool it down when loads are high and oil temps are over the temperature of the coolant.
so... I take in that you can install the Oil cooler sandwich onto the block, the temp/press sandwich onto the oil cooler sandwich, and then the filter on the temp/press sandwich? ... as long as you still have enough space for the Filter or run a shorter filter?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit
Yup! same oil cooler kit I am running! I mounted mine in the same location as the AJ-R Time Attack Fit..
if you don't mind me asking, where is that at? pics please?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 AM
if you don't mind me asking, where is that at? pics please?

Thanks!
I had to make a custom mount for it, but it wasn't too difficult.. its placed behind the drivers fog light opening. You can kind of see the fins from it inside the bumper.. i had to mount it vertical to make it fit. There are some other locations you can try to mount it, but this was the most optimal place for airflow. (oh and FYI, I am using the same OEM honda oil filter.. no fitment or leakage problems at all)

Last edited by YeeFit; 09-26-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YeeFit

i think i am going to mount mine at the passenger side..and lease the driver side for AT cooler
and besides the oil line from the kit is so long....

Old 09-26-2008, 02:03 AM
i think i am going to mount mine at the passenger side..and lease the driver side for AT cooler
and besides the oil line from the kit is so long....
Ya, the oil lines are super long in the universal kit, I routed my lines in a way that it actually worked out nicely... you can get some new fittings and then cut the lines to fit.

Only issue with mounting anything on the passenger side is that the washer bottle takes up almost all the space on that side which I don't think leaves enough room to mount the cooler there too.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
good point..but i don't have washer bottle !!
lol

Old 09-27-2008, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Name:  R0012992.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  207.6 KB

Old 09-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I have never been able to figure out in my head where it connects too.. Thats the only reason i never got 1
can some one show me where the oil comes from and goes 2 please? will help me alot befor i go ahead and get 1.
Thanks

Quick Reply: who makes oil cooler for GD3 ?