Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

KraftWerks Supercharger Kit Info v4.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
so we are STILL having issues with just basic bolt on base kits?
It's not specifically a KWSC problem - my only question was if it's safe to boost when my MAP sensor is supposedly going haywire. Problem seems to be gone for now, but I'm swapping the MAP out for a new one anyways to see if it helps.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Oscar,

Smog is coming up soon for my car and I was hoping you guys would have the CARB exemption tag available soon. I don't want to have to remove the kit. Please get back to me asap.

Tom

Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Hey Oscar,

Smog is coming up soon for my car and I was hoping you guys would have the CARB exemption tag available soon. I don't want to have to remove the kit. Please get back to me asap.

Tom
you still have at least over a year til u need a smog

Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Is this superb product street legal in LA?

Old 04-13-2010, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
It appears that it will be for another year and there is supposed to be CARB certification on the way and stickers of certification for the kits are to be available by then.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It appears that it will be for another year and there is supposed to be CARB certification on the way and stickers of certification for the kits are to be available by then.
What do you mean by 'for another year'? Was there any confirmation regarding how much longer for CARB certification that I wasn't aware of?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
JDMchris said you don't have to worry for at least over another year.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Been Reading this Forum Closely and I have Noob Questions.

Hi there. I just bought an '07 automatic Honda Fit Sport with 97k highway miles on it. The previous owner used it as a long distant delivery vehicle and had an oil change every single month for the past 2.5 years with documents to prove it. The car runs perfectly and is in great shape. Nevertheless, it still has 97k miles on it and I was wondering if it would be unsafe to install a supercharger on such a high mileage vehicle.

I am new to car mods such as this and have never supercharged anything. I want my Fit to be reliable and run strong for another 75 - 100k miles while I am the owner. Would supercharging this engine shorten its life? This is my only car and will be my daily driver. I will often be driving long distances in it as well (through the desert from Oklahoma to Los Angeles).

I'd really like to speed up my Fit. I'm not in need of a race car. I just want everything the Honda Fit Sport provides, with a tad more power. But if power means I will be shortening the life of the car or be sitting in the shop twice as much, I'm not sure if I'd want to do that.

What do you guys recommend?

-Derek

Also, can you hear the high pitched whine from the supercharger inside the cab while driving on the highway? If so, is it loud enough to cover conversations or get annoying over long distant trips?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
I think that it would be okay if you can discipline yourself to not get on the boost every chance you get... It is hard to do at first it is just so damned fun... You would need to use a heavier weight motor oil more than likely and also an oil cooler. An engine with that many miles would be quicker than a new one due to less friction but check and be sure there is no compression problems by having a leak down test done. If you have or know someone with a Scangauge you can use it to check operating temperatures and oil pressure as well as a tool to diagnose problems that set off the Check Engine Light... The Rotrex supercharger has no whining noise because it use a constant velocity traction drive transmission that makes a whirring noise when you first step down on the fuel pedal and it goes into action.... You can drive it like any other Fit by being light on the pedal and still get decent gas mileage but when the Rotrex is in action you are driving a completely different machine.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
There is a high pitched whine when you are going at low rpm / low speed - once you pick up to a driving speed you won't hear it over the sound of the engine.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
I never go slow at low RPM. Guess that is why I never heard it. Actually I think I know what you are talking about but I only here it when my engine is cold and it isn't very loud..... My ears have been ringing for 42 years so I do not hear high pitched sounds .

Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I have never owned a super charged car before. When you say "discipline yourself to not get on the boost", what do you mean? Does the supercharger only kick in when you put the pedal to the metal?

I've read a lot of posts in this thread about higher engine temperatures, and some Fits requiring the intercooler package. Since I will be driving through the New Mexico desert a lot, as well as just sitting in Los Angeles traffic quite a bit, I would imagine the supercharger would shorten the life of the engine simply through the rise in engine temperature.

I want to do it sooooo bad, but I've got reservations. I would love to hear from people that live in Los Angeles, sit in traffic to and from work, and have been using he super charger for over a year. Any issues?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
The car doesn't really start building boost until 3K RPMs so keeping it under that you will stay out of boost for the most part. By supercharging the engine you are going to shorten the life of it, by how much I couldn't tell you. As long as the engine is in good shape and well taken cair of I think you will be fine with the KWSC. It probable would be a good idea to also get a tranny cooler for the car as well.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
I haven't had problems with the engine over heating at all, 177 degree water temperature is as high as it has gotten to ... The intake air temperature from high under the hood temperatures lowers the power output on any car and the power loss on a supercharged or turbo charged car is more noticeable... Ambient temperatures in the upper nineties on up in heavy stop and go traffic raises intake temperatures even with an inter cooler but they drop lower quickly when you start moving. ... A car that has had the attention to maintenance that yours has had should do fine.... The only people that seem to have had problems with boosted Fits are the ones that have chosen to use stand alone devices and tune for more boost and power.... I haven't deviated from the suggested modifications suggested by Oscar Jackson and my car has been trouble free... I am 60 years old and enjoy being on boost too much....Oscar Jr. called me a boost junkie and rightfully so. I have finally been able to drive with a lighter foot and got 37.5 MPG from my last tank . The weather is cool today so I will be going out for a drive in a little while.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robotfist
Hi there. I just bought an '07 automatic Honda Fit Sport with 97k highway miles on it. The previous owner used it as a long distant delivery vehicle and had an oil change every single month for the past 2.5 years with documents to prove it. The car runs perfectly and is in great shape. Nevertheless, it still has 97k miles on it and I was wondering if it would be unsafe to install a supercharger on such a high mileage vehicle.

I am new to car mods such as this and have never supercharged anything. I want my Fit to be reliable and run strong for another 75 - 100k miles while I am the owner. Would supercharging this engine shorten its life? This is my only car and will be my daily driver. I will often be driving long distances in it as well (through the desert from Oklahoma to Los Angeles).

I'd really like to speed up my Fit. I'm not in need of a race car. I just want everything the Honda Fit Sport provides, with a tad more power. But if power means I will be shortening the life of the car or be sitting in the shop twice as much, I'm not sure if I'd want to do that.

What do you guys recommend?

-Derek

Also, can you hear the high pitched whine from the supercharger inside the cab while driving on the highway? If so, is it loud enough to cover conversations or get annoying over long distant trips?
Oh wow. I'm not too sure, but supercharging the engine when its at 97k doesn't sound too good to me. Especially if you plan on driving it for another 100k miles or so. I heard someone that going FI at around 30k-40k miles is ideal. Maybe because the engine is broken in at that point but mileage is not too high? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My car just hit 20k, so I plan to get the KWSC before it hits 40k. If I don't, than I'll be doing it to the next car. LOL

Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
My car never ran right with the supercard/map stablizer.
hmmm. So is there any fix for this yet? I don't like messing with these things. I want a FI kit thats just plug and play, not having to mess with it all the time. The reason the KWSC wins over the HKS kit for me is reliability. But if the electronics still have bugs, than its still no go for me =/

Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
I tried switching to the AEM F/IC. The car ran like shit, I kept getting a CEL and the car would always sputter and hesitate. After going back to the supercard the car has been running great.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Boost can be added to any motor regardless of mileage. There are STi out there that are up in the 100k. Heck, we are driving Hondas, and 100k is nothing to them.
The only reason why there is a concern for high mileage motors is that stuff do wear out, and where most people don't even bother maintaining them properly (like changing the oil, spark plugs, timing belt, and other wear and tear parts).
In the case of the person asking about if it's okay to boost his 100k automatic; it should be no problem as long as the motor is taken care of by the previous owner. I would recommend doing a compression test to check to see all the cylinders are fine, and replace any wear and tear items.
Typically all the horror stories you hear about engines blowing up because of boost is because of bad tunes, and/or engines not properly maintained or too much boost.
You should see some of the conditions of the motors Oscar Jackson is currently working on for the Miatas when he gets them. He just rebuilds those using stock parts, and they are good and ready for boost.

So basically, a boost ready motor is a motor that is well maintained and in good running order. As Indiana Jones puts it, "It's not the years, it's the mileage" Oh wait... errr... make that "It's not the mileage, it's the maintenance" Hmm yea, that’s better.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
hmmm. So is there any fix for this yet? I don't like messing with these things. I want a FI kit thats just plug and play, not having to mess with it all the time. The reason the KWSC wins over the HKS kit for me is reliability. But if the electronics still have bugs, than its still no go for me =/

Super card runs great. Boosted for over 3years. Ran the super card for a year and a half before getting the hondata with no probs. Header back setup, 195cc injectors. Like wytt said maintenance will keep ur motor running strong.. I have seen Jackson Racing kits still pulling strong with 200k+ miles on the motor.

The KW kit is great for reliability, and Oscar really knows his stuff. You will be fine with just a little maintenance.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Does anyone know the size/# for the dayco polycog belt used with the AT kit? I think Pepboys sells the brand and would save me some bucks in shipping.

Quick Reply: KraftWerks Supercharger Kit Info v4.0