Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Suggestions for GD Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned
Lightbulb Suggestions for GE8 Performance Exhaust

After being forced into buying a GE to replace my totaled GD, I have decided not to wait months or years for after-market exhaust manufacturers to design something to replace the really strange poop chute on the '09 Fit. I am going to design my own and have a local muffler shop weld it together, using the mounting flange and gasket from the stock system.

I am considering two manufacturers- Magnaflow (which makes a lot of Stainless Steel mufflers, resonators, and very nice exhaust tips, all of which are being sold on eBay for about 1/3 list price, and Aero Turbine.

I will almost certainly go with the Aero Turbine components, many of which are also for sale at greatly reduced prices on eBay. This company makes a lot of strong claims, and I like the appearance so much, I choose to believe the claims of added hp and torque. The eBay prices make the components and the extra cost of labor for welding competitive with most of the after-market axle backs that are famous for the GD's.

Right now, there is absolutely nothing on the market, even from Honda, to replace the funky, highly restrictive stock muffler. Here is the Aero Turbine link:

Performance Mufflers, Exhaust Systems

Last edited by manxman; 11-25-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 11-24-2008, 09:06 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
just go for as straight as possible with 2.25" I.D. tube in 304L stainless to keep costs down and put a manaflow muffler in the b-pipe area to give it a quiet but deep tone. the fit sounds great when running straight exhaust. not ricey!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kylerwho
just go for as straight as possible with 2.25" I.D. tube in 304L stainless to keep costs down and put a manaflow muffler in the b-pipe area to give it a quiet but deep tone. the fit sounds great when running straight exhaust. not ricey!
Thanks for the advice, but I am more interested in the Aero Turbine products. This will have to wait until after the holidays, but I intend to get the car dyno'd after the PRM Intake and new exhaust go on. Will report results.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
there is a company who makes boat silencers for our shop and they use this turbine technology and it just spins the exhaust molocules. to silence or quiet exhaust you need to slow it down and this turbine system just compresses it.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned
there is a company who makes boat silencers for our shop and they use this turbine technology and it just spins the exhaust molocules. to silence or quiet exhaust you need to slow it down and this turbine system just compresses it.
Fine dude. You are welcome to your opinion. This company does not make boat silencers, it makes high performance auto exhaust systems. So the technologies may be similar, but not the same.

Just to be clear, I was offering suggestions, not asking for them, but your advice is appreciated anyway.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
just letting you know my expierence in dealing with big boat diesel exhaust. hope it helps, but then again the fit isn't exactly diesel or powerful.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Banned
just letting you know my expierence in dealing with big boat diesel exhaust. hope it helps, but then again the fit isn't exactly diesel or powerful.
Exactly. Your input is welcome. I relate to guys who work with their hands in trades and technical fields. I will let everyone know what components I used and the result, but this will take a while to get done. I really intensely dislike the stock excuse for an exhaust system. But Honda did their exhaust job too well- the car is too silent, and has no personality in its exhaust.

For those who explore the Aero Turbine site, I intend to remove the stock resonator that is mounted below the passenger seat and just put in a straight pipe, and buy the AR2525XL combination ceramic resonator/turbine muffler with a nice 3.5" tip on the end. But before buying I will talk with the manufacturer. Due to space limitations, I might have to use a separate Aero resonator in place of the stock one, and use the shorter #2525 Turbine muffler and tip on the end.

Last edited by manxman; 11-24-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
hmmm... learn about how many cfm of exhaust a 1.5L engines puts out at about 4500 rpm (roughly 75% of max output) and then search for an area flow chart to see optimum exhaust sizing to get the most power out of it. i cant wait to see the results. its a bummer about the integrated exhaust manifold with the head.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:01 PM
The big Aeroturbine ebay dealer is Verocious Motorsports. They're right down the road from my house in Delaware. I'm planning to have them install a small Aeroturbine muffler and resonator combo. They also make some nice looking 2.5" x 3.5" stainless tips. Their prices seem lower than the manufacturers prices. You can buy direct from them at verociousmotorsports.com. I've heard a couple of Aeroturbine systems on local cars (Mazdaspeed 3 and GTI). Nice mellow tone.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Just get a muffler of your choice and get a shop to TIG weld you the exhaust piping.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by oldskool9
The big Aeroturbine ebay dealer is Verocious Motorsports. They're right down the road from my house in Delaware. I'm planning to have them install a small Aeroturbine muffler and resonator combo. They also make some nice looking 2.5" x 3.5" stainless tips. Their prices seem lower than the manufacturers prices. You can buy direct from them at verociousmotorsports.com. I've heard a couple of Aeroturbine systems on local cars (Mazdaspeed 3 and GTI). Nice mellow tone.
Thanks- it's nice to hear first-hand about the sound. This is the one that I will buy, and your Ebay vendor is the one I will buy from.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
The first Aero Turbine exhaust system installed on a GE...

Originally Posted by manxman
Exactly.
For those who explore the Aero Turbine site, I intend to remove the stock resonator that is mounted below the passenger seat and just put in a straight pipe, and buy the AR2525XL combination ceramic resonator/turbine muffler with a nice 3.5" tip on the end. But before buying I will talk with the manufacturer. Due to space limitations, I might have to use a separate Aero resonator in place of the stock one, and use the shorter #2525 Turbine muffler and tip on the end.
Looks like manxman got it done. I found this at Hondafitforums:
Aero Turbine Exhaust for GE8 and GD3 Fits- GREAT Sound, Looks, and Performance - Honda Fit Forums

Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Fascinating.

I'd love to hear one on a GD3, specifically one with a test pipe, Aero Stealth 195 used as a resonator, and Aero 2540i muffler. Just about everything I've tried so far has been too LOUD!