Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Stock Ap1 muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by treadLightly
Got any pics of that? I'd love to see how it looks! How is the sound? Close to stock? This seems like a good way to go rather than spending several hundred on an axleback!
sorry for the delay. here is a pic of it before i lowered my car. it sounds pretty good. very quiet at low RPM, but sounds a little beefier at higher RPM, but not that loud. It keeps the OEM style sound, but adds a little bit of grunt. it probably wouldn't be that noticable to me anymore except that I drive my fiance's stock Fit all the time too.
If it can handle a 200 HP RSX-S, it can flow better than my Fit will ever need.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
Other than for looks and a nice, low sound...is there a performance increase? How much of a difference would one see from doing this as opposed to a performance exhaust?

Example:

Megan B-pipe + Tanabe Touring Medallion

Vs.
Megan B-pipe + OEM S2000 Muffler

Would the Tanabe give a large enough difference in performance over the AP1 muffler? By "large" I mean "$300 more" kind of "large"

Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 AM
I doubt the gains would be worth the price....Just got my S2k muffler in the other day and all I intend on doing is throwing a test pipe on so that it sounds like its got a little beef to it and will be less then $250 for the setup. Just need to go get a shop to do it up for me..

Last edited by NBPturtle; 12-18-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
very minimal gains, if any, with just a muffler. if you make the piping from the motor to the muffler larger in diameter, it might add a little performance gain.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
so I'm still confused...I don't think my question was clear

I HAVE a megan B-pipe (or I will once it arrives ) and I need an axle-back section to make it a full Cat-back system. Will the power increase be any different if I use the OEM AP1 Muffler with custom piping as opposed to a Tanabe Touring Medallion axle-back (assuming piping diameters are the same on both)?

Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrKelso
so I'm still confused...I don't think my question was clear

I HAVE a megan B-pipe (or I will once it arrives ) and I need an axle-back section to make it a full Cat-back system. Will the power increase be any different if I use the OEM AP1 Muffler with custom piping as opposed to a Tanabe Touring Medallion axle-back (assuming piping diameters are the same on both)?
it'll get there, i'm going to UPS afterwork this friday for your quote. i'll ship it out on saturday morning if you send payment on friday night

for a non boosted l15, any combination of the megan b-pipe and OEM or aftermarket axleback will yield such a small gain that i would just use whichever axleback i thought looked and sounded best. but that's just me

Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
haha charlie. I didn't mean for that to sound impatient or anything lol. Like I said...I'm not spending any time under my car for probably another month or two until we start getting days 50° or more. Just PM me the shipping cost and ur PP addy and we'll be g2g.

Back on topic...I think I may just get an OEM muffler then