Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AEM methanol injection kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
AEM methanol injection kit?

Hello,
Currently i am running an 08 fit sport with The T1R turbo kit at 6psi.
I am thinking about buying a methanol injection kit and boosting up to 8. i know i could prolly just boost up without a kit, but i like the idea of cooler temps.

i was just wondering if anyone is actually running their fit with a meth injection kit and whether or not they think it is doing any good.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
or if anyone would like to just put their 2 cents in regarding meth injection kits, that would be nice also.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
Not on a Fit, but I have a Evo with a SMC meth injection kit.

Meth injection is a great way to cool the intake air charge and raise the octane level on FI car running pump gas. I was able to raise boost from 22 psi -> 28psi with no hint of detonation. Gained +50whp on a mustang dyno.

But to take advantage of meth injection you probably will need a way to tune timing/fuel.

Some other kits out there:

Aquamist
Coolingmist
Labonte
Snow performance

Last edited by Evotech8; 05-07-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: kits
Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
would love to do it on my KW Supercharged fit, don't want to be the guinea pig though...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the info!
yeah if i do get a kit, i'm gonna take the car back to balanced performance and get it re-tuned. I was really looking at a kit for the cooler intake temp and EGT. I'm not looking for much HP gain but if it happens i'll take it of course! (and post back to let everybody know how it goes)

Old 05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
on wednesday my friend got his car tuned with the aem meth kit.... jdm b16 w/vortech SC spoon tb, skunk IM ece.....6 lb pully.
the meth kit allowed him to advance the timing near stock lvls without detnation.....that is where the power is made... safty marjin also with the boost in octane that it provided...
if u run crap gas with your turbo fit.. it might be worth while.... up here in canada 94 octane is a street tuner's friend.... 6-8 lbs seems reliable acording to the posts i have read... 10lb's might jepordize that longevety....
if i blew my motor and rebuilt... i would use meth 4shure.... if my bank account allowed...

Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
everyone i know loves it, one v.w vr6 turbo no intercooler just water injection and 3 srt-4 guy love their kits. Not alot more power but cooler more stable engines

Old 05-10-2009, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CamFit
on wednesday my friend got his car tuned with the aem meth kit.... jdm b16 w/vortech SC spoon tb, skunk IM ece.....6 lb pully.
the meth kit allowed him to advance the timing near stock lvls without detnation.....that is where the power is made... safty marjin also with the boost in octane that it provided...
if u run crap gas with your turbo fit.. it might be worth while.... up here in canada 94 octane is a street tuner's friend.... 6-8 lbs seems reliable acording to the posts i have read... 10lb's might jepordize that longevety....
if i blew my motor and rebuilt... i would use meth 4shure.... if my bank account allowed...

yeah i am using 93 octane right now. i think instead of going to a full 8 i might see what just switching the tial spring to .5 bar (7.25psi) does in addition to the kit. I would like a little more power but the whole idea of getting a meth kit came from my friends and i talking about safety mods like oil coolers, catchcans, turbotimers n stuff like that.
One thing i see as a potential problem is where the tank would go. There's not much room in the engine bay, and i don't really want a trunk tank, seeing how there really isn't a "trunk" or anywhere i feel like mounting it in the back. The idea of even getting a battery relocation kit came up so the tank could go in the engine bay, but again, i don't just want my battery sittting/mounted in the back of my fit. I can just picture it looking really odd.
eh, such a tiny space to work with..

Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by SWRWKFS
yeah i am using 93 octane right now. i think instead of going to a full 8 i might see what just switching the tial spring to .5 bar (7.25psi) does in addition to the kit. I would like a little more power but the whole idea of getting a meth kit came from my friends and i talking about safety mods like oil coolers, catchcans, turbotimers n stuff like that.
One thing i see as a potential problem is where the tank would go. There's not much room in the engine bay, and i don't really want a trunk tank, seeing how there really isn't a "trunk" or anywhere i feel like mounting it in the back. The idea of even getting a battery relocation kit came up so the tank could go in the engine bay, but again, i don't just want my battery sittting/mounted in the back of my fit. I can just picture it looking really odd.
eh, such a tiny space to work with..
you could use the stock washer fluid tank as your reservoir...low temp washer fluid is just methanol and water...you may even be able to tap the tank and even retain your washer fluid use...although I would be careful about when you use it...

Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
yeah i wish i could but because of the turbo kit, there is a pipe running through where the washer fluid tank used to be. Some turbo kits loose air conditioning, n with T1R's i just lost my wiper fluid.... hell i've even thought about sticking it smack dab in the passenger seat or underneath the glove compartment. but that would just be a pain to refill.
most likely its going in the back......eh.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 PM
my buddy mounted the meth tank on the firewall and the pump with a bracket right next to the tank.
ill take some pics 2morow so u can take a look, might help.
the only pics of it installed are videos of the dyno run.
the best 2 videos are the "cooldown" with a big ass fan sitting on his valve cover and 3 others all blowing on the engine bay.
20 min later we had to wait for the coolent temps to climb, then the final pull.....
1 more hp from cooldown.... lol i guess the meth was doing its job.... mabe it was a
bunch of factors.... but its a good thing, consistant.... (SC setup, plasic tubing)
check out what yeefit did with his washer fluid bottle... cant wait till his kit arrives..... ill try and post pics 2morow sleep time now...

hope this helps
cam

Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
that is awesome! yeah, i would love to see how he mounted the tank, cuz i have pretty much got the funds to buy the kit now and thought i would give it a couple more days to debate whether i get the kit with the regular tank and make it work or give in or get the trunk tank instead...
+1Hp? well every bit counts. lol
was it a 50/50 mix? or is he running a higher mix of methanol?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
my buddy is running 50/50 mix, he just went to his girlfriends.... ill get the pics 2morow 4 ya...
what setup are u running? Im gonna go for a aftermarket intake manafold, lsd, clutch and flywheel before i go meth... but meth is on the list.
A rich super-model girlfriend/ future ex-wife is also on the list
but we shall c.... im not that good looking, so I gotta make up for it with my cence of humor.... also, im not that funnie..... mabe i should add cence of humor to the top of my list before anything else.......

thanks for the rep
cam

Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
i rich hot chick would be nice... i would definitely be ok with being whipped if she helped fund my car addiction.... not completely fund tho, cuz there's a line between between being whipped and being a bitch. (i.e, not paying for most a yo own shit??? bitch...)

right now i am just gonna run it 50/50 with the T1R turbo kit at 8 psi. still stock internals n everything, but i would like to build up little by little. i would like to start eventually running 80(meth)/20(water) when i get everything in an all that.

Just go for the hot models that love riding in Fits.... there out there.... somewhere... maybe.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
damn 4got to take camara.... the aem kit says not to run anything over 50/50 in instructions.
what support mods for your t1r kit do u have? ie.. catch can oil cooler... intake manafold... lsd.... clutch... flywheele..... ece..

Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, i have kinda moved past just the aem meth kit and i am currently debating between labonte motorsports and snow performance. most likely i will be getting the snow performance kit.

yeah... my Fit is pretty much got nothing else on it cept for apexi boost gauge and turbo timer... no oil cooler... no catch can... lol. my friends and i have talked about all the saftey items i could get and all these came up.. but honestly it came down to money..(lol i said i have the money for the meth kit, but technically i am not paying for it... lol my semi-girlfriend/girl i am talking to/i dunno what we are is buying it for me. for my birthday...lmao....)........yep...all my money goes to school right now..
so i'm a broke ass.
do you have a catch can? does it do its job?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
snow performance makes a good kit also check out devil's own.. they make a good kit too

Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
i'm no expert on this subject but just wondering how the water/methanol is cooling the air going in to the engine. If the fluid is hot from being in the engine bay then how is it cooling the air. I know it will cool down the cylinder right but i am concerned about the ecu still showing hot air from the IAT sensor and pulling timing even though it is cooler inside the engine.

Maybe i am way off...probably.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Methanol increases the octane rating allowing you to run a leaner mixture and more ignition advance. With a 50% mixture of water the methanol is not combustible and is more effective in cooling the air when injected ahead of the throttle body.... If injected into the intake ports it is possible to run a 85% fuel to 15% water/methanol mixture with the same effect as 118 octane fuel and an extreme reduction of combustion chamber temperature. Snow and Devils Own fuel injection has quite a bit of info.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Well i have installed the meth injection with a trunk mounted tank. Now i'm trying to get an appt for dyno tuning.
Will post some pics of the thing in a bit.
still kinda groggy from all the fireworks and beer....
Hope Everyone had a Happy Fourth.

Quick Reply: AEM methanol injection kit?