Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AEM methanol injection kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by leonine
i'm no expert on this subject but just wondering how the water/methanol is cooling the air going in to the engine. If the fluid is hot from being in the engine bay then how is it cooling the air. I know it will cool down the cylinder right but i am concerned about the ecu still showing hot air from the IAT sensor and pulling timing even though it is cooler inside the engine.

Maybe i am way off...probably.

u dont put the tank in the engine bay...duh...i ran this in my gtr and i was able to run higher boost with no problem !

Old 07-05-2009, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
but theres a bad side to this as some ppl say they create moisture in the block and will rust inside the motor.....

Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
There is condensation occurring inside an engine every time you start it when the weather is cool and it will dissipate after about 6 or 8 miles of driving. One cool thing about water/methanol injection is that it steam cleans the combustion chamber and the steam exits the engine during the exhaust stroke.... If you are putting too much into your intake you are gong to quench the plugs and have to disconnect the coils and crank the engine with the throttle held wide open to clear it.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Wow great thread with awesome info. My buddy has meth inj on his STi and loves it.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, i made an album with some pics of the kit in it (cuz it seemed easier than postin them all in this isnt there a way to just take jpg images and just paste em in this little box....no html blahblah? owell)

And its a Snow Performance Kit.. even tho the name of this thread is AEM...
The car goes into be tuned next monday. even tho it was supposed to be today but they rescheduled me..
I don't think it will be much different from the original tune. All i did was up the boost 2psi and put the Meth kit on. I'll just have to wait and see.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
well the car is tuned and the meth didnt do much for power because advancing timing with the fit's L15A motor did not add any HP. it actually lost a bit when they turned it up the first couple of degrees.

So I got +12hp and +20tq so i now have 156whp and 167wtq
The Fit is also an AT paddleshifter so any more of a gain that this would most likely begin to damage the Transmission, Which was my main concern.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
Well you have got me sold. That is a hell of a power gain from something that will extend the life of your combustion chamber. The system buffers the initial explosion at ignition in addition to cooling and cleaning. It also lowers exhaust temperature reading by the O2 sensor. What are your A/F ratios. and ignition advances when it is squirting juice..... I don't think that it is advised to use more than 50% methanol to avoid a possibility of combustion in the intake manifold which can become a disaster on a boosted motor.... Instead retune with some nitromethane in the mixture with 50% water.... You added more boost so it is no surprise that it couldn't take more timing advance.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 07-22-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SWRWKFS
well the car is tuned and the meth didnt do much for power because advancing timing with the fit's L15A motor did not add any HP. it actually lost a bit when they turned it up the first couple of degrees.

The Fit is also an AT paddleshifter so any more of a gain that this would most likely begin to damage the Transmission, Which was my main concern.
+12hp & +20tq is a nice gain considering the tiny motor we have.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I would rather see a larger torque gain than horsepower on a small displacement motor with street gearing any day, and oh so much more on an automatic with such tall gearing.... I would be happier than a possum eating cow shit..... That is big time oozing with happiness. I'll tell you.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
yeah the fit is running well and i can feel that little extra bit of torque in the later gears, which is a nice feeling

with meth injection before tuning a/f ratio was in mid 13's, and now after tuning its like low12, low 12 ,low 12 then dips alittle to high 11's ... (lol i'm staring at the graph line... not an exact science...eyeballin it like this.....)
basically right around 12, i dont know the exact number.

The snow performance kit uses a vacuum diaphragm switch which uses boost pressure to tell the pump when to turn on. ( and the more expensive kits[cuz i just got stage 1] have like a cool little controller so you can do/set everything up on it in-cabin blah blah coolness...)
I set mine first at like 4 psi, but once the first dyno run was done, they let off the gas and the car bogged n died. lol, i had it putting meth in too early so i adjusted it and it is set to come on at like 4.6-4.8psi, which works awesome.
so if you get the kit just dont set the meth too early and it'll be amazing, cuz the install is pretty darn easy.

Last edited by SWRWKFS; 07-27-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: poor a/f description.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
A lil off topic but can you use AEM methanol kit on stock engines?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mulletboi86
A lil off topic but can you use AEM methanol kit on stock engines?
The Snow or Devil's Own base kits are set up to be used with naturally aspirated engines as well as with boost.... It would lower the combustion chamber temperature and allow you to use low octane fuel without pinging but the Fit will do that already.... I don't think that you would gain anything in the way of a performance or fuel mileage increase that would justify the cost of the methanol.... You could get an air/fuel/ignition timing adjuster and get a little gain but they are pretty pricey.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SWRWKFS

how is the Snow Performance.
I was going to install water injection kit but was stopped by the workshop and they told me that
those car with higher temperature and boost. Example EVO, or 2000CC car above
He said it will kill the fire or reduce BHP.

It was great that now I know u had installed to L15A and by reading the Dyno chart, what is the result before and after.
At what RPM your water injection start injecting? I want to show this result to my workshop and prove there are wrong.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
its the stage 1 snow performance kit. it comes on by a boost vac switch. i have it set to come on at 4.5 psi and it hits full when i'm at full boost 8.
its true that if you do set it too low the engine will bog down cuz i did play with it a bit to figure out where to set it. pretty much any lower than 3.5psi made the car wanna die. rpm start? car is usually around mid/high 3000 when meth kicks on.