Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

What you think about this custom HKS intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
What you think about this custom HKS intake?

Hi, I've just had this custom made intake for my 2007 jazz/fit and it uses a HKS filter. It's the first time I've made any engine mods, I just wanted to know what you guys thought from the look of it.

Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but after driving for around an hour, i opened the hood just to have a look see and the tube was really hot - this is normal right? of course, cos it's in the engine bay so it's bound to be hot? i was just wondering because i've read quite a lot about trying to get cooler air into the engine, but there's not much you can do about the actual intake getting warm by being near the engine right?

Below are some pics of the new intake (don't mind the dirtiness/dustiness/messiness!! ):

Old 09-06-2009, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
damm thats one dirty engine bay...intake looks aight

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Well its the right size piping, just make it look pretty!

Old 09-06-2009, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
lol, i know.. it's pretty embarrassing how dirty it is . another stupid question - how would you go about cleaning the engine bay??

Old 09-06-2009, 04:28 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Ok here is my 2007 Honda Fit Sport engine bay:

I show my Honda in the import class at local car shows so the bay has to be spotless. I use a damp microfiber with just a dot of soap not much at all to wipe it down and then a damp cloth to clean it up and then a dry cloth to get it shiney. I do an engine detail anytime the car is washed. You can get grit and small rocks between the lip of the hood and it can leave scratches if you don't clean them up. Also use a dry q-tip for small areas. I take a sweeper to the hood liner and make sure to wipe down the underside of the hood and hinges each time. Hope this helps but your intake looks pretty good.

Cat :x

Old 09-06-2009, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
Clean up your wires too if you can too, lol. They're all over the place!

Feel a difference in performance?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
That shiney intake stand out so much in your dirty engine bay.
The pipe is aluminum so it will heat up from being in the engine bay.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
cat - wow, thanks a lot for the detailed answer!! ur engine bay looks sweet! you gave me some inspiration to get it clean, lol. cheers!

super mario - i know, the wiring is a mess, will get that sorted when i clean up regarding performance.. i feel the car is a little more responsive, it doesn't take as much "foot on the pedal" to get going, and in the higher rpm range it feels there's a little more acceleration... though these things are all very subtle. sounds nice tho! i also got a spoon n1 cat back exhaust plus a new header, but i've read those things probably won't add any kind of performance (right?)

Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
aluminum pipes make it hot. i made a DIY cold air intake with the hks filter. it's posted somewhere.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 AM
It's real cute

Originally Posted by supafly50
Hi, I've just had this custom made intake for my 2007 jazz/fit and it uses a HKS filter. It's the first time I've made any engine mods, I just wanted to know what you guys thought from the look of it.

Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but after driving for around an hour, i opened the hood just to have a look see and the tube was really hot - this is normal right? of course, cos it's in the engine bay so it's bound to be hot? i was just wondering because i've read quite a lot about trying to get cooler air into the engine, but there's not much you can do about the actual intake getting warm by being near the engine right?

Below are some pics of the new intake (don't mind the dirtiness/dustiness/messiness!! ):

I like the look... but as you will find out: the engine bay is much too small and you will find the engine heat will make a difference. After all the radiator is right infront of the intake.
I had a SSI and the intake engine temp was off the charts. Put the OEM back in with a K&N filter. Changed battery at the same time and let the engine idle for over 5 min. Just the OEM intake made a 30 degree diff in the intake temp.
Just think of all the money I wasted for the aftermaket intake!
What about your engine stutter??

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
I like the look... but as you will find out: the engine bay is much too small and you will find the engine heat will make a difference. After all the radiator is right infront of the intake.
I had a SSI and the intake engine temp was off the charts. Put the OEM back in with a K&N filter. Changed battery at the same time and let the engine idle for over 5 min. Just the OEM intake made a 30 degree diff in the intake temp.
Just think of all the money I wasted for the aftermaket intake!
What about your engine stutter??
so after you put the OEM intake back on with the K&N filter, did you notice any difference in performance?

i'm not too sure what you mean by engine stutter? sorry

Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 AM
wat about mine ??
Name:  6825_126099084402_524729402_2426855.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  45.4 KB

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by supafly50
cat - wow, thanks a lot for the detailed answer!! ur engine bay looks sweet! you gave me some inspiration to get it clean, lol. cheers!
Or don't open the hood!!! I do not go to the detail CAT does but every so often I will use Armour All wipe to clean up some at least.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
looks kinda expensive... and gets how hot??
Back to OEM and K&N OEM replacement filter for me!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Try to get a ram air hoooked up to draw cooler air from the fender well. Thats how the stock ones is setup.