Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Crank Pulley: Stock dampened?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Crank Pulley: Stock dampened?

Just finished reading the 10 page Mythelogy Lightened pulley thread from 2007.

I can see the light pulley DOES NOT have the dampener all the way through. However there is a conflict.

SOME say the STOCK one has a propper dampener.

SOME say the stock on is SOLID.

which is it?

also, Its been a long while now.

Any issues?

Thanks for the info. I'll be grabbing one I believe. low end acceleration is exactly what I want.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Stock does have a damper made of rubber!!!! I've had the GT spec 2pc crank pulley for a couple k miles with no problem but if you can get the Mythelogy pulley

Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Is there a lightened one available these daysthat has a propper dampener?

as has been mentioned in the old thread, the rubber doesnt go all the way through on the Mythelogy so it wont dampen anything.

EDIT:

Just using noob logic, assuming the rubber is hard packed in there (and it will be, otherwise it'd be weak at the rear aluminium) join.
Is it possible that the rubber is helping to disperse SOME vibrations and harmonics? or is this just wishful thinking because its still solid at the back?

Last edited by Master_Scythe; 10-04-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 AM
I just finished my dynamic systems class which is all about this shit, and I can tell you that that rubber piece, even if it only goes through part of the pulley, will make some difference when compared to a solid piece. That difference is very, very minor, though. The aluminum is MUCH harder than the rubber, and will deform very little. A 2-piece, fully dampened pulley is the only way to go to maintain the stock dampening effect.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
well thats all I wanted to hear to be honest, im a very 50% kinda guy.

Sugar free vs sugar? mix them.

Margerine or butter? mix them. and so on.

People are successfully running FULL SOLID pulleys for over 100 000kms and having no issues. Clearly a fully dampened stock pulley is the easiest on the engine in terms of harmonic vibrations ( please note that although the engine does make vibrations, theres no guarantee we'd ever hit a harmful harmonic frequency) it is also LESS strain to rotate a lighter mass.

So if i can get the middle ground of at least slightly dampened, while taking some effort away from the engine, sounds like a good middle ground to me.

and as said above, 100 000km on a SOLID pulley? no issues? A semi-dampened can only be better