Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Lightweight Crank Pulley - Problems Or Not

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Lightweight Crank Pulley - Problems Or Not

You guys have heard and seen questions and posts about this in every forum, over and over again. I even posted about it somewhat in the 3rd Generation Fit forum without replies. So here are my two questions.

****These questions ONLY applies to those that have purchased a lightweight pulley****

1. Do you have an stock diameter or underdrive pulley
  2. Have you had ANY problems with your pulley or none at all?
  3. If you have had a problem(s) with your pulley, what were they?

I am trying to decide if I want to go underdriven or not. My plan is to order a stock pulley, send it out for a custom one to be made. LIGHTNESS is my PRIORITY. If I can get away with underdriven, I will. I do not plan on any aftermarket electrical items (Sound Systems, Lightings, etc). This will remain stock.

Thanks for any feedback. AGAIN, I'm not asking if I should or should not install one. I only am interested in those with experiences with one. No theories or hypothetical situations. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2014, 04:19 PM
There were problems on the GE running a lightened crank pulley because it screwed with the engine harmonics and the knock sensor. It would throw check engine lights and show up as misfires. Not sure if that ever got resolved or how it would transfer over to the GK, if at all, but take that for what it's worth.

I don't expect to see a lot of GK responses here unfortunately.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
There were problems on the GE running a lightened crank pulley because it screwed with the engine harmonics and the knock sensor. It would throw check engine lights and show up as misfires. Not sure if that ever got resolved or how it would transfer over to the GK, if at all, but take that for what it's worth.

I don't expect to see a lot of GK responses here unfortunately.
Thanks for your response. This is the type of information I'm looking for. Not looking for any information about the GK because there doesn't seem to be any crank pullies made for it.....yet. Just trying to get a general idea of what I may be up against when getting a custom one made.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
This has always been a debate with lightweight pulley. I think the biggest issue is a billet pulley vs. a lightweight pulley that uses dampening like OE.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
I put in the Razco lightweight pulleys on my GD and I've had no issue at all. No extra noise or vibration what so ever, and I can feel the added pull in the higher RPMs with the freed up HP thanks to the lighter weight.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Any links to this info? I just checked and I did find this thread --> HERE

Page 2...here's what the guy said -->
Originally Posted by Rikeys
you are using another brand rite? they tested this one (check out somewhere in this forum) and loss some power cause too light!
also if non dampen you get sonic vibrations similar to knocking and the sensor picks that up and retards your timings. one popular brand in US had this issue with a model of Honda. I've been reading their feedbacks.
He only states 'they tested this somewhere in this forum' and 'one popular brand'. Who tested this? What did they test? What brand? I couldn't find anything to support any of this in these forums. I'll keep looking though. Thanks!

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 11-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM
My mistake man, i'm thinking of the flywheel, not the crank pulley. You should be fine running a pulley.

I was actually considering buying one so I don't know why I would have said that. Everyone has off days

Here is a good thread on one.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ht-pulley.html

Old 11-21-2014, 10:19 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I have had a t1r pulley on my gd3 for 150k miles now.

1.Stock diameter pulley
2.Biggest issue I have was pulling the crank nut off, but no issues with the engine.
3.The pulley itself has not caused any issues.

I had a long discussion with a few engine builders up here and compared the two pulleys (t1r which is 7071 billet aluminum) vs the stock steel pulley. There is a rubber ring on the stock pulley but it does not go all the way through the oem pulley so it has absolutely no dampening ability. The conclusion I came to was that the internals are balanced and it doesn't matter what type of external pulley your are running, the crank harmonics will be the same since this isn't an old v8 style dampener.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
I have had a t1r pulley on my gd3 for 150k miles now.

1.Stock diameter pulley
2.Biggest issue I have was pulling the crank nut off, but no issues with the engine.
3.The pulley itself has not caused any issues.

I had a long discussion with a few engine builders up here and compared the two pulleys (t1r which is 7071 billet aluminum) vs the stock steel pulley. There is a rubber ring on the stock pulley but it does not go all the way through the oem pulley so it has absolutely no dampening ability. The conclusion I came to was that the internals are balanced and it doesn't matter what type of external pulley your are running, the crank harmonics will be the same since this isn't an old v8 style dampener.
Interesting. I'm curious to know how the Razco compares to the T1R. Trying to find the T1R is tough these days.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Update

Thanks for those of you that have replied so far. It is appreciated!

I just wanted to update so people know that I'm not just 'blowing smoke'. How many times you hear/read about people talking about doing something but it never comes to be? I've already ordered the a stock pulley and am expecting it to arrive on late Monday. Tuesday, I will be sending it out to be measured so a custom one will be made. The anticipated timeline to completion is 30-40 days. This is great for me since this is winter downtime (Tracks are closed). I want any new modifications to be completed by late February.

Hopes are that at least I have a J's Racing 'Cat Delete' in and installed, and NST aftermarket pulley (This is who will be modifying the pulley I send out) and a far fetched possibility of a J's Racing ECU Reflash (I can dream so leave me alone. ). The other two are for another thread. Just putting it out there.

Any crazy ideas or N/A modifications that you guys have in mind, please send me a PM. I'm game and am interested. I just have a lot of energy around these things. Never could stand waiting for shi*. Again, thanks!

Old 12-12-2014, 03:48 PM
NST Pulleys are offered for popular Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Scion etc and there are thousands of happy customers on various forums running these pulleys.

NST Pulleys have been on the market since 2005, and there are a number out there on the same cars to this day!

Old 12-15-2014, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning
NST Pulleys are offered for popular Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Scion etc and there are thousands of happy customers on various forums running these pulleys.

NST Pulleys have been on the market since 2005, and there are a number out there on the same cars to this day!

NonStopTuning Lightweight Pulley Kits - Honda - NonStopTuning

The same pulley fits both the GE and GD? What about the GK?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by De36
NonStopTuning Lightweight Pulley Kits - Honda - NonStopTuning

The same pulley fits both the GE and GD? What about the GK?
The 2015 (GK) Fit uses a different pulley.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Where i can find this Razco lightweight pulleys?, iam from Puerto Rico

Originally Posted by cnordt24
I put in the Razco lightweight pulleys on my GD and I've had no issue at all. No extra noise or vibration what so ever, and I can feel the added pull in the higher RPMs with the freed up HP thanks to the lighter weight.
Where i can find this Razco lightweight pulleys?, iam from Puerto Rico