Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Questions about HKS bolt on kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Questions about HKS bolt on kit

Hi guys, I just had a few questions about the HKS kit. i still cant decide between the HKS and the KWSC. I like the KWSC because of the reliability but I also like the JDM factor of the HKS turbo.

-since the kit has been out for a while, im sure a few revisions have been made. Is there still any modifications required to install the kit, like taping the oil pan etc.

-Is the kit plug and play, and does the Fcon unit still need to be tuned.

-does it still throw a CEL?

I don't plan on any other upgrades after the installation of the kit. I want the added power but do not want to sacrifice reliability since I don't have adequate knowledge with FI applications to adjust anything if something does occur. Thanks guys!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
HKS kit has a banjo bolt oil return. it replaces your oil pan drain bolt. no drilling/tapping required. however, this is a horrible type of oil return system. you should plan to change it to a less restrictive (larger) return that drains into teh oil pan above the oil line. it doenst need to be done imediatly, but i highly recomend it.

it is plug and play.
you shoudl always get a custom tune for your car. HKS provides very good base tunes, but a good custom tune will always make more HP and run better.

if your tuned properly, you shoudl not throw a CEL.

along with the HKS kit, i highly recomend a blow off valve, and a a/f ratio gauge (especially if you plan to not get tuned imediatly). get a boost gauge as well.
1 step colder spark plugs will help as well.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
HKS kit has a banjo bolt oil return. it replaces your oil pan drain bolt. no drilling/tapping required. however, this is a horrible type of oil return system. you should plan to change it to a less restrictive (larger) return that drains into teh oil pan above the oil line. it doenst need to be done imediatly, but i highly recomend it.

it is plug and play.
you shoudl always get a custom tune for your car. HKS provides very good base tunes, but a good custom tune will always make more HP and run better.

if your tuned properly, you shoudl not throw a CEL.

along with the HKS kit, i highly recomend a blow off valve, and a a/f ratio gauge (especially if you plan to not get tuned imediatly). get a boost gauge as well.
1 step colder spark plugs will help as well.
Thanks! All the info that I needed. As far as the tune, and spark plugs. Are these absolutely required, or just to make more power? Power is not an issue for me, the added 30-35hp is enough for me. I'm just more worried about sacrificing reliability for more power.

*edit* the reason I ask these things is because I will have all your suggestions done at the shop while getting it installed. I don't want to run into any problems later. Thanks again!

Last edited by AnlDyxp_GD3; 04-27-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
plus the hks is carb legal if that helps with your decision.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by revd34
plus the hks is carb legal if that helps with your decision.
thanks dude. Yeah that actually does help alot, I forgot that it was. LOL. CARB legal "should" mean that its more reliable shouldnt it? But the KWSC supposedly will be CARB legal next year too. hmmm. pretty much I want to go with which ever is more reliable and less prone to potential problems. If I can't decide in the end, I may have to flip a coin. LOL.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
Thanks! All the info that I needed. As far as the tune, and spark plugs. Are these absolutely required, or just to make more power? Power is not an issue for me, the added 30-35hp is enough for me. I'm just more worried about sacrificing reliability for more power.

*edit* the reason I ask these things is because I will have all your suggestions done at the shop while getting it installed. I don't want to run into any problems later. Thanks again!
some people dont change spark plugs, its just a rcomendation, you might need to gap the OEM ones differently though.
you should plan on getting a tune, but as long as your car is drivable and your getting good, stable a/f ratio (youll need the wideband gauge for this)...youll be fine wihtout the tune for now.
im sure as you drive you might find a thing or 2 youll want changed in the tune, but it will probly be 95% as good as OEM.

hks oil drain gets away with the banjo style below the oil line becuase they have the valve cover vent go to the oil drian line as well (the air pushes the oil down into the oil pan). it is OK, but not recomended. a gravity fed return welded to the oil pan is best. ask the shop how much they will charge. and as with the tune, plan on doing it, but no huge rush.

100% definatly get the wideband a/f gauge and the blow off valve. boost guage is also nice to know your not overboosting and have no leaks. for teh $40 you can get a mechanical boost gauge...well worth it

Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
some peopel dont change spark plugs, its jsut a rcomendation.
youshoudl plan on getting a tune, but as long as your car is drivable and your getting good, stalbe a/f ratio (youll need the wideband gauge for this)...youll be fine wihtout the tune for now.
im sure as you drive you might find a thing or 2 youll want changed in the tune, but it will probly be 95% as good as OEM.

hks oil drain gets away with the banjo style below the oil line becuase they have the valve cover vent go to the oil drian line as well (the air pushes teh oil down into the oil pan). it is OK, but not recomended. a gravity fed return welded to teh oil pan is best. ask the shop how much they will charge. and as with the tune, plan on doing it, but no huge rush.

100% definatly get the wideband a/f gauge and the blow off valve. boost guage is also nice to know your not overboosting and have no leaks. for teh $40 you can get a mechanical boost gauge...well worth it
Ok cool. Thanks for all the info guys. Appreciate it. As far as price goes, it seems like the HKS is cheaper. But I dont know how much the tune will run me. So i may have to work out total cost between the HKS and the KWSC. Cant wait

Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
HKS Fit kits tend to have a heat problem, so any extra cooling is highly reccomended. And like nighthawk recommended, a tune... You ALWAYS want a custom tune to your car when turbo to make sure everything is in order.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
Ok cool. Thanks for all the info guys. Appreciate it. As far as price goes, it seems like the HKS is cheaper. But I dont know how much the tune will run me. So i may have to work out total cost between the HKS and the KWSC. Cant wait
expect a tune to be $500
BOV $200
a/f gauge $200
boost gauge $40

Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
HKS Fit kits tend to have a heat problem, so any extra cooling is highly reccomended. And like nighthawk recommended, a tune... You ALWAYS want a custom tune to your car when turbo to make sure everything is in order.
cool. Actually I was some what aware of a heat problem. But I thought HKS might have made some kind of revision to fix it? If not, what would you recommend for extra cooling?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Heat wrap, or foil. Even with this i seen a coilpack get overheated and die. Vented hood is probably the best solution for it. Also remember since HKS uses the FCON to tune, you can only get tuned at authorized FCON tuners. The closest one to you is GT motorsports in Rancho, but i wouldnt trust them tuning it.. I would head over to SP engineering in the city of industry to tune it.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
yea, forogt to mention, i heat tapped everything in the back part of my engien bay. rubber hoses, brake lines, harnesess. i also made a heat sheild for the turbo.

heat is an engine bays worst enemy. do anything you can to keep it down.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Heat wrap, or foil. Even with this i seen a coilpack get overheated and die. Vented hood is probably the best solution for it. Also remember since HKS uses the FCON to tune, you can only get tuned at authorized FCON tuners. The closest one to you is GT motorsports in Rancho, but i wouldnt trust them tuning it.. I would head over to SP engineering in the city of industry to tune it.
yea, forogt to mention, i heat tapped everything in the back part of my engien bay. rubber hoses, brake lines, harnesess. i also made a heat sheild for the turbo.

heat is an engine bays worst enemy. do anything you can to keep it down.
Oh man, I didnt know heat was that big of an issue with this kit. Cool, I will see if I can get this all done if I decide to go with the HKS. Yeah SP is pretty close to me. Chris' point give me another reason to go with the kwsc. LOL.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
heat is an issue with all turbo kits.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 AM
heat is an issue with all turbo kits.

ur so right

what bout this product ... "turbo blanket"

Old 05-21-2010, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
^ive been lookign to get a turbo blanket, but its very difficult to find one made for a t25 turbo :/

but if you find one, let me know. they work GREAT!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 PM
^ive been lookign to get a turbo blanket, but its very difficult to find one made for a t25 turbo :/

but if you find one, let me know. they work GREAT!
uhm i dont know if there's any right size for this turbo in here
but some saids, when using turbo blankets like these
yes the heat wont spread to engine bay
but the heat accumulating on the turbo could cauze oil leak or even cracking

correct me if im wrong

Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ku8o
uhm i dont know if there's any right size for this turbo in here
but some saids, when using turbo blankets like these
yes the heat wont spread to engine bay
but the heat accumulating on the turbo could cauze oil leak or even cracking

correct me if im wrong
turbo blanket could cause oil coking in teh turbo if its not water cooled (keeps internal temps higher for a longer tiem after shut off).
i havent heard anything else bad.

and yes, the turbo kits for the fit use a t25 turbo (the one you linked is for a t3). it will fit over the t25 but not as it should. it will be sloppy and loose.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
I have nothing but good things to say GTM. They are great folks. Very big in the Z community.

~Robert

Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't recommend a turbo blanet, I've seen quite a few expensive turbo hotsides crack in the DSM community.

I actually found on the older 280z's there is a small electric powered air pump that blows air onto the valve cover to keep everything cool. I picked it up for 12 dollars from one in a junkyard. There is also a gold foil I see a lot of evo guys use that they swear by, try that too. Of course venting the hood is the end all best solution.

Quick Reply: Questions about HKS bolt on kit