Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

performance help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Fit Modness

I do like the unwavering enthusiasm from you snuggyfit. Don't let anyone's opinions keep you from attempting to do what you know is possible. This is still a newer car there is sure to be more support for it through the next 5 years. Just be patient and save up your $$$.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Light N fast....

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Light wheels and tires make the most difference in performance gains you will get short of boost.
Man, Dee I really want to try that soo bad just 2 dang much $.
Ya that will makes the most dif. w/ a lo HP car, for a single change to ur platform
I would go 14" with lite tires, for the ultimate launch....... zoom! 0-60 in 6 seconds, not

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 09-29-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Mikey, 14"x 6.5" Kosei T1TS wheels are $119 each.... Kosei Wheels - Kosei K1 Wheels - Kosei Racing Wheels at AutoPartsWarehouse.com

Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Light wheels will help u the most then nos lol

Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Save the 3000$ for a turbo kit and put half the money down on srt-4 or 4th gen F or something. Those are getting older and a lot cheaper. Let's face it the fit is slower than any minivan on the market

Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
A Fit with boost and a few other performance and handling enhancements is probably considered the wrong thing to do by many people but so is premarital sex and eating excessive amounts of chocolate....

Old 12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Unfortunately the OP, snuggyfit has not responded since june.. but in any case, for all the money you might spend on various bolt ons, the time and funding it would take to dyno/flash the car etc. You would seriously be better to just keep what you currently have on the car, save up for a year or so and then do the following:

Go to home depot, look in their specials section and pick up one of their $75-90 300piece mechanics sets, go to pep boys or autozone and usually for about $100 you can get a couple jack stands, jack and creeper and another ~$20 on a haynes/chiltons/helms Fit service manual.

Now you have the tools to do more than what 90% of the people on this forum will ever need. Now go on Amazon and buy these:

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Here are some books you should buy:
Amazon.com: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (9781932494426): Greg Banish: Books#_

Amazon.com: How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780760315828): Jeff Hartman: Books

Amazon.com: Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems (9781932494907): Greg Banish: Books

These will provide a good knowledge base, then you will start to find more technical sources out of your own curiousity, and fill the rest of the gaps with experience! (read: trial and error)
Once you have memorized these over the course of the year or so you take to save up, you are ready to start piecing together the following items:

Really all we need for GEs (all prices are if you buy brand new and you are buying the more expensive ones available):

AEM FIC - $600
Loggable UEGO Gauge and Controller - $200
IAT - $50
MAP - $90-150 depending on your goals
EGT- $120-180
In line fuel pump - $90-220 depending on your goals
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator - $100-230
Charge piping/couplers - $150-400
Injectors - $300-1100 depending on your goals
Exhaust Mani adapter - $200 from Neukin or $30 in materials plus labor depends on how good of friends you are with the machinist or what tools you have
Downpipe - $60 in flanges and materials plus labor (see above)
Intercoolers - $200-1000+ depending on your goals
BOV/Bypass - $40-200
Turbo - $300-1800 depending on your goals
Boomslang wiring harness - $220

So ~$2500- $5300 for a balls to the walls set up with everything new in box at full retail mark-up prices. This is neglecting free/salvaged parts.

This would be the route to go for people looking for >180whp, and not everything listed is necessary but I would strongly recommend all of the above including aftermarket sensors, AFPR, etc. Depending on your tuning ability and goals, rotating assembly upgrades couldnt hurt and in some cases will be necessary, but at the cost of atleast another $1k thrown in.
Now for some fuel on the fire.. some people seem to forget things like power/weight ratio. One of my other cars is also a ~2500lb FWD 5spd, but 2.0L.

Flowing only 34lbs/min @ ~19psi boost (only 330whp, 350lb-ft) The first time it went to the track, it ran three back to back mid-12sec quarter miles, with 1.7xx sec 60ft times. That is C5 Z06 corvette territory. That is Porsche GT2 (with a yuppie in it ) territory.

Yes both cars mentioned can do high 11s with some nice tires, track prep, 1/3 tank of gas and a good driver, etc. but how many of those will you encounter in a highway roll?

How many will you embarrass with a competent driver in a 14 sec Fit?

That is sitting tight with stock Evo X's in a straight line from a roll.. Think about it.

This was on crappy all-seasons, 93 pump gas and a slightly rich tune 11.0:1AFRs.

I'm not saying you will be able to or even should try to put >300whp through the L15A, but I could see a low 14sec - high 13sec Fit with a good driver on ~230whp which is certainly do-able.

Can be done safe and reliable with a water or alcohol injection kit, or a conversion to E85.

Save your money, boost it and then you can apply what you learn to anything else that comes into your possesion along the way.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-04-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dougr320
Save the 3000$ for a turbo kit and put half the money down on srt-4 or 4th gen F or something. Those are getting older and a lot cheaper. Let's face it the fit is slower than any minivan on the market

Ummm Neon? No. Gross.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Atmos
Ummm Neon? No. Gross.
To be fair, SRT-4s, while ugly can be brutally fast. But in the end you are still driving a dodge. I had a cummins ram for a tow-pig, but neither the trans nor engine came from dodge/chrysler...

Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Crazy stuff being posted tonight, but all is good..... Am I the only one that is imbibing in the spirits or is at least some of you Fine Fit Freak Fried too?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Crazy stuff being posted tonight, but all is good..... Am I the only one that is imbibing in the spirits or is at least some of you Fine Fit Freak Fried too?
I would've thought my post in the back-up sensor mandate thread should've given that away
Just finishing up a MacroEcon paper on this cold snowy evening!

Though I don't know what K_C was on about at the end there... I want some of what he's having!

Speaking of crazy stuff how about this 770fwhp SRT4 tuned by AMS here in Chicago..

YouTube - 772 fwhp dodge neon srt-4

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
If Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King weren't on PBS right now I'd have taken my pain medicine and gone to bed. Two Texas Blues Men playing "Stormy Monday Blues" written by T Bone Walker, also a Texas Blues Man.... T bone and Stevie are from Oak Cliff, where I grew up, Albert King was from Mississippi but played in the Dallas area a lot back when I was a kid and later.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:36 AM
If Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King weren't on PBS right now I'd have taken my pain medicine and gone to bed. Two Texas Blues Men playing "Stormy Monday Blues" written by T Bone Walker, also a Texas Blues Man.... T bone and Stevie are from Oak Cliff, where I grew up, Albert King was from Mississippi but played in the Dallas area a lot back when I was a kid and later.
That is certainly worth staying up for. SRV and Albert King I like, but I shall have to look into this Mr. Walker fella.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
T-Bone Walker was the real deal street busking blues boy that learned his trade by leading Blind Lemon Jefferson through the streets of the area known as "Deep Ellum" in Dallas to his gigs... Blind Lemon became the first blues recording artist in the 1920s and I think he died in a snow storm up in Chicago, was attacked by a dog, poisoned or robbed for a large royalty payment he had just received... T-Bone Walker invented the style of electric guitar playing long before Muddy Waters got the credit for doing so and rather than heading to Chicago like so many of the the Delta blues men he wound up on the West Coast.... If there had not been an Oak Cliff T-Bone the guitarist that play blues and rock music today would not have developed into what it has become.... It was insane how many of the white boys in Oak Cliff got into playing blues in the 60s and are still at it and doing very well financially.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
suscribed

Old 12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
To be fair, SRT-4s, while ugly can be brutally fast. But in the end you are still driving a dodge. I had a cummins ram for a tow-pig, but neither the trans nor engine came from dodge/chrysler...
If i remember, just about every automatic transmission in Chrysler vehicules are from Chrysler or, in recent years, Mercedes. The vast majority of Manual transmissions are (were) from Chrysler, New Venture Gear, or Getrag... some exceptions may apply and i don't speak abour DSM or Mitsubishi derived cars!!

...maybe i'm wrong too!

Marko!!

Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
If i remember, just about every automatic transmission in Chrysler vehicules are from Chrysler or, in recent years, Mercedes. The vast majority of Manual transmissions are (were) from Chrysler, New Venture Gear, or Getrag... some exceptions may apply and i don't speak abour DSM or Mitsubishi derived cars!!

...maybe i'm wrong too!

Marko!!
You are correct.

But I had a manual Turbodiesel Cummins Ram 6BT (QSB swapped) with the 5speed manual new venture 4500, which put up with 55+ psi from an HX35-HT60 compounded turbo system and over 1000lb-ft at the rear wheels!

So only the frame and interior were from Chrysler/Dodge, fortunately.

I will miss that big nasty smelly monstrosity, but certainly not the trips to the gas station or trying to park it.. well anywhere.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Our ecu is not tunable correct. Only way is to switch to a stand alone. Am I correct?
Fyi: take the fit with good suspension mods on a very curvy road, see who keeps up with you

Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bthasht
Our ecu is not tunable correct. Only way is to switch to a stand alone. Am I correct?
Fyi: take the fit with good suspension mods on a very curvy road, see who keeps up with you
You don't need a standalone necessarily, few can justify putting down the $1-2k for a full standalone anyways.

The capabilities of the ~$600 AEM FIC unit is more than 98% of the people on this forum will need.

For those who have lots of time and patience you could get away with an S-AFC as well for only a couple hundred bucks to achieve similar results, but not quite as comprehensive or flexible as even the FIC.

Quick Reply: performance help....