Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

performance help....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 PM
performance help....

ok so i have a couple questions. I grew up always interested in modding and need some new ideas for performance, to be honest i got smashed on by a for focus the other day and after that kind of had it. i want to rep the fit and make it faster but the only problem is i dont have 3 grand for a turbo kit right now. heres a list of all the mods ive done to my car.

engine: short ram intake, exaust

and the rest are mostly exterior...
10k hids, window tint, visors, painted rims (dark blue) painted calipers

I need some new ideas that arent increadibly hard to install due to my lack of tools that will help up my speed.

i want to make my ish quick....

been thinking about headers lately too

help please?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
I like...
  • hfit, prm, password or t1r intake
  • wr street header
  • some throttle controller

Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Best thing you can do if you don't have the money for a turbo is STOP RACING. You will be beaten by just about everything. Seriously though, get a header, a b-pipe, a throttle controller first. Then save up the money for an intake manifold, or buy an extra OE one and cut it open like I did for a lot less money. Sorry to tell you that without going FI your ish is not going to be fast no matter what, just more fun to drive....

Old 06-06-2010, 01:15 AM
So you want to be really fast, easily modified, for little money? You bought the wrong car.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
hahahaah amen to dat! get a different car, or be ready to spend on turbo!! cos with 87whp. u aint doin shit, u might catch the pizza delivery guy.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 AM
really peeps?

i disagree, its not always about who has the biggest engine or most hp.

you have to think about the ratio of weight to hp. the fit is a very light car with good eng. behind it. It beats many cars out there, you would be suprized.

why i posted this thread is to see what people came up with besides charging the car. there are tons of ways out there to do it. i actually find it kind of sad that people on the site are basically giving the fit a negative rep. if you dont love the fit, why are you here?

the fit essentially the new civic hatch which is in huge popularity for racing. i have huge hopes for my fit, so im sorry if you dont believe in it like i do. i will charge it someday but for now these were some mods i was thinking about.

polished port
chipping
converting to dohc (might be really exspensive and not worth it)
swapping to a b16
much higher quality cold air intake
swapping out parts for carbon fiber over time
ect.

thanks

Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Light wheels and tires make the most difference in performance gains you will get short of boost.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by snuggyfit
i disagree, its not always about who has the biggest engine or most hp.

you have to think about the ratio of weight to hp. the fit is a very light car with good eng. behind it. It beats many cars out there, you would be suprized.
Oh believe me, any time my Fit out accelerates anything, I'm very "surprized" . . .

i actually find it kind of sad that people on the site are basically giving the fit a negative rep. if you dont love the fit, why are you here?
The Fit does many many things very well, which is why I like the car. But acceleration is NOT one of them. That said, I've driven dozens and dozens of cars that were faster than this one, yet nowhere near as much fun.

the fit essentially the new civic hatch which is in huge popularity for racing.
Here's the problem: an '88 Civic Si was actually faster than this vehicle. But more importantly, it was as fast (or faster) than many other sporty cars available in it's time. The Fit? not so much.

polished port
chipping
converting to dohc (might be really exspensive and not worth it)
swapping to a b16
much higher quality cold air intake
swapping out parts for carbon fiber over time
ect.
If you don't have the money for forced induction, I'm not sure how you're going to swing headwork along with ecu re-programming & tuning. Engine swaps on this car are much more expensive than a supercharger or turbo. Intakes are all well and good - but you're looking at 5hp, tops. Fully kitted out with well chosen bolt-ons, you might see a 15% increase in power. That's enough to feel and appreciate, but nowhere near enough to be feared on the street.

Don't get us wrong, it's nice to see enthusiasm for the car . . . but don't get your hopes up as to what it's capable of. A drag racer, it is NOT.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:17 AM
hey dudes definitly some awsum responses to my questions. i appreciate the responses. i think you guys have a point with keying out its handling. definitly a plus of the car. have the d1 spec throttle controller on the way, in the process of getting some slip streams on the way and a set of 1.5 lowing springs and rear strut.

sorry if i came of like a douche about it.
and p.s. not to big into street racing allthough there is a huge night racing scene around here. cant afford 1200 dollar tickets and impounding. not to menton the increase on insurance for a 21 year old haha.

just love the fit. thats all

-snugs

p.s.
im running a short ram intake right now...
think it would be worth spending to get a nice chambered cold air?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Light wheels and tires make the most difference in performance gains you will get short of boost.

yeah how you feel about slip streams people? or some of the lighter voxx rims
like the "voxx amante"

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
i have some slips... they're good...

i'm personally not a big fan of short ram intakes... i kept the stock box and made some modifications to it so it flows better... once i'm done it should flow better than a short or cold air system... just sayin

Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
I think removing all but the drivers seat can increase performance for cheap.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
If you still are crazy for your Fit and it is in good shape 3 or 4 years down the road you can justify boost by the money you have saved at the gas pump and have a Fit+ . Enkei RPF1 wheels are a little costly but very light and of very good quality.... There are grand touring tires that are lighter, last longer, better and have great traction on less than perfect roads.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
The throttle controller will change the way you drive your car, one of the best "bang for the buck" mods there is. As stated above 15% is a good increase to expect from bolt ons and having done most of them I can tell you that my fit feels like a more powerful car than it is. And it sounds scary fast, even though it isn't! I've had people swing their heads around to see what that high powered maniac machine was coming up behind them in traffic. Its priceless when they realize what it was they were hearing....

Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 AM
just picked up some enkei or52's

handling definitly improved with extra inch on each tire width

heres a full updated list of what im running.

8k hid's for my mains (looks more like 6k tho......hmm) any thoughts)
3k yellow for my fogs (new.)
j's racing rear tow h. 20 bucks used on ebay schwang
swapped my jdm 168 blue license plate lights for jdm white.
jdm replica tail lights.
enkei or 52 17inch rims
short ram intake(going to extend to cold air)
red dome light
jdm blue cargo light
ebay exaust haha (cat)
and more that i forget. need to start on engine more....

p.s. does anyone know why my pictures will upload and then just not show up on my profile? is it just because the file size is too big>?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member

engine: short ram intake, exhaust

help please?

thats a lost in power without ur ECU being tuned
GET the AEM computer and then u will actually see the power being made from the intake and exhaust mods u did
u dont need 3K for turbo...ill sell mine for 2.5K

Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
thats a lost in power without ur ECU being tuned
GET the AEM computer and then u will actually see the power being made from the intake and exhaust mods u did
u dont need 3K for turbo...ill sell mine for 2.5K

what kind of kit is it?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Love my Rpf1's!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chitownfit
Love my Rpf1's!!!
They make a big difference in ride quality, handling, braking, and acceleration..... They also extend the service life of the tires , brakes, steering and suspension components, CV joints and clutch.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
ok so i have a couple questions. I grew up always interested in modding and need some new ideas for performance, to be honest i got smashed on by a for focus the other day and after that kind of had it. i want to rep the fit and make it faster but the only problem is i dont have 3 grand for a turbo kit right now. heres a list of all the mods ive done to my car.

engine: short ram intake, exaust

and the rest are mostly exterior...
10k hids, window tint, visors, painted rims (dark blue) painted calipers

I need some new ideas that arent increadibly hard to install due to my lack of tools that will help up my speed.

i want to make my ish quick....

been thinking about headers lately too

help please?
i'll sell u my trubo kit for $2000 usd or $2300 cnd !!
good deal !

Quick Reply: performance help....