Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

DIY- Ram Air / Cold Air Intake from Fog Light Opening

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
wow awesome report! i got an AFE intake as well, definitely want to try this soon! thanks for the write-up and where you got the parts :-)

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
^^Thanks! I'll be interested to read your review.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
so i was a little too excited and ended up doing this mod tonight haha initial impression is there is some gain noticed in all areas. I took it on the freeway once, drove around the city and had a lot of chances to stop and go. Wasn't sure if it's just because I am focusing on the engine more now to see if there are changes.. but I did notice in 5th gear when cruising when I barely press the pedal, the engine wants to accelerate already (you can feel a difference but nothing earth shattering..). Before this mod I would notice barely pressing the pedal does absolutely nothing. I am assuming this is because more air is being forced to the intake so it's easier for air to be taken in when the throttle opens..

For installation I ran into some issues. I forgot to notice how you fed the duct directly into the intake filter, so when I did it I just put a lot of duct tape to support it into the intake chamber area.. which is a lot less efficient than directly into the filter element. I will change this tomorrow and see if it benefits. I did notice the intake temps were dropping quicker when in motion from a stop. Also, I did not have zipties on hand to tie up the 3" rubber angle tubing to the fog light cover. So I used a combination of duct tape and two c-clamps that came with the tubing. I bent the c-clamp so it has more of an oval shape to match the fog light cover.. which means I could not get it completely flush like how the guide shows with zipties. It's subtle but pretty ghetto if you look closely haha. I will be correcting this when I find my lost supply of zipties :-p

Other than those two issues, doing this mod is super easy and cool if installed correctly!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM
^^Right on! Nice review, I'm glad it worked out for you as well. It's not like adding a supercharger but it does feel like there is a little more usable power. I would say the two biggest improvements are throttle response (especially at freeway speed), and more power at high RPMs.

I have been tempted to order a DC header and a test pipe. I think the header and test pipe would be good friends with this mod. The engine could pass more air through and I think it would work well with this setup. I would leave the stock mid pipe for back pressure. Does anyone have their exhaust setup like this?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
i have a weapon-R street header and t1r muffler. had a t1r b-pipe but never put it on because it probably woulda been too loud especially for AT..

Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
you definitely need to get a DC header! it will really make a difference in the flow
having all aftermarket I/H/E (stock cat/b-pipe) you'll definitely feel the engine run more free without feeling restricted.

I recently uninstalled the mod and also the aFe intake [to pinpoint my decrease in MPG] and put back the stock airbox and I really notice the engine suffocating when driving! I was scared driving on the freeway! The top-end gain from this mod definitely helps accelerating quicker to freeway speeds.

Have you figured a way to make a snorkel type mod for the Fit? That would be super cool

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I think the header / test pipe may be in the near future. I just ordered a new set of wheels, waiting on my new extended lug nuts to arrive. I will share soon.

I also found a good deal on some fog lights so I will be relocating the elbow that draws cold air soon. I thought of fabricating a upper grill ram air setup, but it would require modifying part of the bumper that is under the hood. Plus this would probably let water in when it rains.

I drove on the freeway with this intake setup in pouring down rain. I was worried that the filter would be wet but it was completely dry. The water must not make it through the bending tube.

I did notice that the gas mileage / responsiveness of the mod went down when the filter was dirty. After cleaning the filter all is good again.

I'll post what I come up with as far as relocating where the cold air come in.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 AM
I did about the Same thing on my 1993 Civic! Removed the load of resonators and passed a hose i took off a Chrysler 3.0l Caravan directly from the Stock airbox right to the foglight opening along with a K&N panel filter and a slight fuel pressure increase... It was looking sweet too...

It did wonders at higher speeds!! More power, more responce, more noise...

I'm looking at something similar on the fit! Probably this summer!

Marko!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM
nice..i did something like this a while back to my crx

Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM
How is that AFE intake? any diff over stock? I just got a new 11 sport A/T
How about that tube any diff from just the AFE?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 AM
^Yes the AFE intake is better than stock for sure. Adding the cold air inlet tube definitely helps. I replaced my fog light so I need to come up with another setup to feed the cold air to the intake. I missed this mod as soon as I installed the new fog light, it will be back soon though in new form.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I ordered a K&N filter for the stock box for now, I dont know if I want to drop any more $ into it yet. will the K&N filter replacement improve much over stock?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
As i have a base Fit, i'm trying to find something i could put instead... so far i've thought of a couple of things, they just seem to be a little hard to get for cheap:

might have found some prelude grills

maybe the only thing that does'nt rust on a Mazda

maybe someone on NASIOC installed fogs and don't need these anymore...

Does anybody have another idea? there's also a round opening for this purpose on Egay but i'd have to put a grill... just for peace of mind you know...

Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Darklyte24
I ordered a K&N filter for the stock box for now, I dont know if I want to drop any more $ into it yet. will the K&N filter replacement improve much over stock?
You might notice a slight improvement. It will definitely last a lot longer than the stock filter.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
^you should modify the stock box... gut the interior, etc... that way it'll be free and will make the most out of your filter!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
You need an air filter like this and put your duct on the end.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TFB Designs

I think it worked out pretty well with that rubber elbow. The zip ties seem to be sufficient and I didn't have to alter the fog light housing.
How'd you get the elbow to stay? I had the hardest time trying to zip tie it to stay in the shape of the fog light, but no luck.. Did you use tape as well?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, I believe I also used some duct tape on the inside to help keep the oval shape on the rubber elbow.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Ram Air

**Zombie Thread**

Was looking for ram air information since I'm trying to design a similar concept on the 2015 Honda Fit (There is already a stock location for this. Just trying to improve it).

Outside of 0-60, 1/4 mile times (which I will be testing), what ECU parameter can I look at to see the difference this modification makes? Maf sensor g/s? Intake air temperature before and after?

Any other impressions of this modification?

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-28-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY- Ram Air / Cold Air Intake from Fog Light Opening