Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

My new 2.25 Custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
My new 2.25 Custom exhaust

So, I dropped by a well known local muffler shop, and paid 120 for a 2.25" cat-back exhaust system that would have cost me well over 250, if not, 350 USD. For a muffler, I used an 18" glasspack muffler where the resonator used to be. Needless to say, there's no resonator.

Pictures (They're large):
Name:  IMG_8734.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  53.3 KB
Kind of a messed up pic, that shows the muffler.

Name:  IMG_8733.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  36.7 KB
They used a nice, smooth bend for the axle-back, instead of a harsh 90 degree bend.

Name:  IMG_8731.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  50.1 KB
The tip and axle-back part.

Name:  IMG_8730.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  53.8 KB
Rear bumper.

So far, it seems to do what it's supposed to. The car is much more responsive and a little quicker. I got my money's worth, that's for sure. Beats paying 350 for the same thing.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:40 PM
etf
5 Year Member
How does it sound?? Can you post a video with a drive-by so we can check it out?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kurisux92

They used a nice, smooth bend for the axle-back, instead of a harsh 90 degree bend.

Rear bumper.

So far, it seems to do what it's supposed to. The car is much more responsive and a little quicker. I got my money's worth, that's for sure. Beats paying 350 for the same thing.
sorry but i think it cost you $120 because it's cheap.

those aren't mandrel bends (correct me if i'm wrong) and the fitment could be improved. your tailpipe exits off-center of the bumper cutout.

i'm going out on a limb here too, but the low cost has implications on the quality of the materials - i wouldn't be surprised if this exhaust weighs more than the $250-$350 exhaust systems you're comparing yours to. if yours weighs less, it'd probably only be because it's lacking a muffler at the rear. but if you did get a muffler on there, it'd tack on an additional $40-$60 depending on your choice of muffler. I had one of these custom exhausts before, and it corroded a lot quicker than a high-quality system, especially at the welds.

i don't want to hate or anything, but the price of the exhaust reflects many things. the difference between a $350 exhaust and your $120 exhaust does show. a lot of people read forums like it's the bible, so it's misleading to state that you got the same thing for ~1/3 the price

Last edited by doctordoom; 11-24-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
sorry but i think it cost you $120 because it's cheap.

those aren't mandrel bends (correct me if i'm wrong) and the fitment could be improved. your tailpipe exits off-center of the bumper cutout.

i'm going out on a limb here too, but the low cost has implications on the quality of the materials - i wouldn't be surprised if this exhaust weighs more than the $250-$350 exhaust systems you're comparing yours to. if yours weighs less, it'd probably only be because it's lacking a muffler at the rear. but if you did get a muffler on there, it'd tack on an additional $40-$60 depending on your choice of muffler. I had one of these custom exhausts before, and it corroded a lot quicker than a high-quality system, especially at the welds.

i don't want to hate or anything, but the price of the exhaust reflects many things. the difference between a $350 exhaust and your $120 exhaust does show. a lot of people read forums like it's the bible, so it's misleading to state that you got the same thing for ~1/3 the price
Those effectively aren't mandrel bends but with a pipe that much large on a small 1500cc engine, it shouldn't matter anyway...

Marko!!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
They probably are not mandrel bends, but as far as weight goes, what does it really matter? 5-10 pounds won't matter much on a daily driver. And if they deteriorate, they deteriorate. But by the time they do, I'll be in a better position to pay 300-600 for a full cat-back. Right now, I'm an 18-year old high school Senior without a job, so I'm making do with what I can. And besides, I'm satisfied with what I have and that's all that really matters. I mean, it's an open forum, so everything is open for debate, right?

And as for materials, I know they used Aluminized Steel with Mig and Tig welding. And it does have a muffler. They used an 18" generic glasspack where the resonator once was.

And when I get a chance, I will make a video and post a drive-by.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
They probably are not mandrel bends, but as far as weight goes, what does it really matter? 5-10 pounds won't matter much on a daily driver. And if they deteriorate, they deteriorate. But by the time they do, I'll be in a better position to pay 300-600 for a full cat-back. Right now, I'm an 18-year old high school Senior without a job, so I'm making do with what I can. And besides, I'm satisfied with what I have and that's all that really matters. I mean, it's an open forum, so everything is open for debate, right?

And as for materials, I know they used Aluminized Steel with Mig and Tig welding. And it does have a muffler. They used an 18" generic glasspack where the resonator once was.

Good luck on finding a job and I don't think he meant to burn u. Just saying quality costs lol and yeah I hate mig/or tig when I wells something I want the wells to be the strongest part not the weakest so I redid all mine and made it look better and the only one u have to make happy is yourself lol in for drive by vid

Old 11-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member

what i meant was some Fit exhausts have a resonator on the midpipe in addition to a muffler after the axle, but yours only has a muffler at the midpipe. that results in lower weight, but with an additional muffler/resonator the story could be different.

crash001 is right, i'm not trying to give you shit, i'm just saying there are differences between your setup and an expensive one. nothing wrong with it, i did the exact same thing with my car when i was a high school senior

edit: Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by doctordoom; 11-25-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Ah, alright, sorry if I attacked you like that, wasn't meaning to sound so aggressive, lol.

Anyway, here's a video: It's not a drive-by, but a start-up and idle. My camera's having issues so I'm gonna get rid of it and go digital (stupid DV tapes) and not worry about tapes going bad and what not.

The audio skips in places, but you get the idea.

Start up and Idle

Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
If you like it, I like it.... I think the price wasn't bad at all and I can see where you would have some better power as well..... I have very easily spent 6 times what you have on my exhaust and almost $300 of it was for custom work at a good muffler shop.... The damned exhaust started rattling today ... I have a volume control on mine 2 resonators, resonated cat delete, wrapped header, AeroTurbine 2040i muffler and an Apexi throttle control valve.... I haven't been in high school in 44 years. Come to think of it, I was in the Marine Corps 44 years ago.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 12-08-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If you like it, I like it.... I think the price wasn't bad at all and I can see where you would have some better power as well..... I have very easily spent 6 times what you have on my exhaust and almost $300 of it was for custom work at a good muffler shop.... The damned exhaust started rattling today ... I have a volume control on mine 2 resonators, resonated cat delete, wrapped header, AeroTurbine 2040i muffler and an Apexi throttle control valve.... I haven't been in high school in 44 years. Come to think of it, I was in the Marine Corps 44 years ago.
Well Dee, it's because you're a badass.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I had no idea you had that much done to your exhaust, that sucker must haul with so little back pressure fighting the 10-11psi from the Rotrex!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I had no idea you had that much done to your exhaust, that sucker must haul with so little back pressure fighting the 10-11psi from the Rotrex!
I haven't put a boost gauge on it yet but I have a cheapie in the barn somewhere. The low end is better with the ECT slightly opened and with the ETC in EC 5 mode the front tires don't hook up until the tach has passed 7Gs in 2nd gear in 50 degree weather.... The rev limiter kicks in just shy of 90MPH in 3rd from and it is there before you know it, or in a little shorter distance than it would hit 70 from a 10MPH rolling start with 5PSI and stock exhaust with 2.5 axle back with 12" glass pack.. It will hit the rev limiter in 4th but I am not sure if it will in 5th. My engine mounts are mush so I seldom take it out of the EC5 mode... It does surprise people in what are considered to be much faster cars.. I'll still be working on it until I can no longer do it..... No one my age understands why I do this and I don't know how not to.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 PM
To the OP:

If you enjoy it and it doesn't get you pulled over more often, thats all you need to worry about, everyone is going to have a different opinion, and in mine it sounds just fine! I love the burble and pop on the overrun before the injectors cut out!

I would be curious to hear what that sounds like under load

I haven't put a boost gauge on it yet but I have a cheapie in the barn somewhere. The low end is better with the ECT slightly opened and with the ETC in EC 5 mode the front tires don't hook up until the tach has passed 7Gs in 2nd gear in 50 degree weather.... The rev limiter kicks in just shy of 90MPH in 3rd from and it is there before you know it, or in a little shorter distance than it would hit 70 from a 10MPH rolling start with 5PSI and stock exhaust with 2.5 axle back with 12" glass pack.. It will hit the rev limiter in 4th but I am not sure if it will in 5th. My engine mounts are mush so I seldom take it out of the EC5 mode... It does surprise people in what are considered to be much faster cars.. I'll still be working on it until I can no longer do it..... No one my age understands why I do this and I don't know how not to.
It'll keep you active and sharp at the least! Better than playing bingo..

If I do make it down to the Texas Mile in the next year or two I would love to see what your GD would run against my 1G.

I have a feeling that if you can stick the launch I might not catch you till were going like 30-35 and the BorgWarner is at full song on the way into 2nd gear. That thing has to be a champ in traffic and from a roll! If you make it a meth junky you might pick up a lot of power and who knows what things will look like then.

The Fit and the Laser are the same weight, your gearing is waaayyy shorter, but I have about 2-2.5 times the torque based on dyno results of others with the KW plus a generous guesstimate of what you've told me has been done with yours.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 AM
i bought my exhaust from Gazzella and cant fault it, i say go for that.

there is a place in burnley that does Custom Exhausts but when i tried them a few years ago they said they couldnt do a direct copy for the GTV as the pattern and box layout are too complicated. now i didnt enquire about the possibility of them being able to make a straight through system, maybe they could do that i dont know.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
I will be in your same boat soon. I found of k20a.org this brand called Hushpower. going to be going 3" all the way with this muffler.

I just wanted to put this here for anyone looking for a nice quiet muffler that doesn't sacrifice power. pretty legit company and it looks like they put a ton of research into their products.

The Technology Behind the Stylish Looks

A. Entry Cone Hot exhaust gases entering the tapered inlet section are actually accelerated as they pass through the perforated cone into the outer core area. The perforation pattern and entry angle are specifially engineered into each product to provide optimum airflow characteristics.
The sound energy is reflected and redirected back into itself as well as into the outer thermal core by the carefully selected taper angle of the entry cone.

B. Laminar Flow Area The hot exhaust gases are released and allowed to expand into this section in multiple layers due to the tapered angle of the entry cone. This produces a controlled laminar flow pattern, that reduces turbulence inside the muffler.
Sound waves lose energy in this section through the expansion of the exhaust gases and reflective angles of the cones which direct the waves into the thermal barrier material.

C. Thermal Barrier The thermal barrier between the outer core section and muffler case provides a portion of the mufflers sound energy absorbtion characteristics. This thermal barrier is engineered to deliver much lower exterior case temperatures, allowing the muffer to be placed closer to heat sensitive areas

D. Exit Cone The increased surface area and angle of the tapered exit cone provides an "easy exit" for the hot exhaust gases that encourages the flow out of the muffler. The carefully selected taper angle of the exit cone directs and focuses the sound energy back into iteself. This convergence of sound waves reduces the sound level as it passes out of the muffler.

Didn't mean to thread jack! Just want to share some knowledge on your subject. Your exhaust looks good man!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
The cone thing has been in use on dirt tracks and drag strips for quite awhile... In theory they are said to increase torque, if so the big 3" pipe shouldn't hurt you when you have to drop below 6800RPM

Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
In a word Therapy! Keeps us ol dogs young @ heart.
Mikee

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 05-10-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Mikey... I have got to have a dog like that... He has an amazing looking face and the beard adds a dignified look like nothing I have ever seen before. It is getting to where I have to check out your post all of the time to see what kind of pictures you are going to use.