Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Gas mileage - Stock Vs Aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Thumbs up Gas mileage - Stock Vs Aftermarket exhaust

Now I know that after you put an exhaust on your gunna want to romp all over the gas pedal like your addicted to it. I also know the more you romp on it, the worse your gas mileage becomes.

However....

Has anyone with an aftermarket exhaust as their only mod ever tested out their Fit to see how many MPG they can actually squeeze out of their car on a single tank of gas? I'm talkin' driving with the soul purpose of maximizing their MPG.

If anyone has put their exhausts to the test, post your results/stories here!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I don't, and won't, have an aftermarket exhaust on our Fit, simply because we do a lot of FL highway driving, which is over 3K RPM's- too much noise for too little gain.

HOWEVER, I can speak from experience on putting pipe on other small-displacement engines. Save your $ if fuel economy is your biggest goal. You'll see maybe 0.1-.2 MPG difference if you get JUST the right exhaust, and about half of that is from weight savings, depending on the muffler. Also, with the ever-stricter emissions requirements, the already lean-burning Fit ECU won't give you more than a few monkeypower for your hundreds of $$'s.

Now, if you were talking about an older, higher-displacement vehicle with a rather corked exhaust, you'd see a noticable difference from freeing up the exhaust, but the simple truth is that the Fit doesn't seem to get too much out of it, from what I've seen on customer cars, and from what I've read on here and elsewhere. Most fuel economy gains people see from bolt-on mods are USUALLY more from changing driving tendencies, moreso than from actual improvements in efficiency- the increased SPL from having a louder aftermarket exhaust makes folks more conscious of their high RPM's, so they shift sooner, or use less boot, and therefore use less gas. Therefore, they THINK their vehicle is more fuel efficient, instead of them just driving like less of a bonehead
Mark W.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 AM
^^^agreed!