Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Replacement Belt for KWSC

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Replacement Belt for KWSC

I have the KWSC base kit for the automatic and my belt has shredded
when I went to the parts store with the belt we took the number off it and ordered the belt. The belt that arrived was a 10 rib belt 77.1 inches long, on the car is a five ribbed belt. We tried to find another belt goodyear 5pk778 it was too long. I ended up cutting the belt in half it worked but there must be an alternative to this. My belt only lasted 6,000 km. Has any one found one that worked??

Old 11-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Just buy from KW, I think it's like $35

Old 11-26-2010, 02:40 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
If ur belt only lasted 6000km then you had it adjusted wrong in the automatic tensioner. Mine lasted WAY longer than that.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
what belt did you use?
(KOI)The trouble with getting the belt from KW is i am in canada and i needed to get to work
Chris I had the alternator set a the 1/2 way mark on the bracket is this okay?

I would still like to find a belt that I don't have have to cut in half

Last edited by hazzard; 11-26-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
In my case I have the alternator very close to the radiator, almost at the end of the bracket - otherwise it is too loose and the belt will start getting real loud. The other problem is that if it is too loose, the belt will not contact the automatic tensioner properly causing serious problems like the belt snapping like it did for MNfit on this forum (and apparently for you too). The main issue is that you need to make sure the belt is properly tensioned, not just follow the 'half way mark' on the bracket like the KW installation manual says to do.

Last edited by Koi; 11-26-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
I have 12 thousand miles on the original S/C belt on my car.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
This is more of a heads up than anything for anyone with the KWSC kit. I finally got around to changing the serpentine belt today at just over 45k miles (25k with supercharger on) and the belt was completely worn out. The replacement belt had ribs that were rectangular visually while the outgoing belt had very very thin wedges left.

Basically with the 45k mile old belt, I was having problems with electricity dying out on a heavy load, boost was only hitting 3.5-4 psi at the most, and alot of squealing/chatter from the belt area. As soon as I put the new belt on, all those problems are gone and car is hitting 5-6psi again like it used to. Can't believe what a difference 2 psi makes but it pulls much harder than with the old belt.

TL;DR check your belt and replace it often as needed - mine was completely dead and negatively affecting the car after 20k stock + 25k supercharged miles.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Original part number on the Gates belt is #K100789, I've run mine for 45K supercharged now. Anyway I went to the local parts store and they got it in later the same day. When I went to pick it up I thought something was wrong because it IS a 10 rib and the one we run is a 5 rib. We examined the belt and you can see from where the PN and logo is printed that it runs off the side of the belt so Kraftwerks must have been cutting these in half to work. I wasn't into cutting the belt so they went through their supply of Dayco belts and found one that was a 5 rib and almost un-noticeably shorter than the Gates.
Unfortunately, it was about 2 - 5mm to short to get onto the pulleys. I went back and got the Gates 10 rib this morning, I'll have to cut it but I'll have 2 belts bringing the price down to $26 bucks each. I'll report back if I see a faster build of boost or anything. All pulleys and bearings were checked for smoothness while the belt was off, every one of them was fine. I also had the alternator pulled almost all the way out on adjustment (closest to radiator).

I'm basically just servicing the whole supercharger system. Belt, oil, magnetic oil filter, oil lines, and air filter.

Hit the A14 on the maintenance minder but valves were adjusted 3k ago and new coil packs and plugs went in less than 10k ago.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
A few months ago I spent a while trying to buy a replacement belt from Kraftwerks; they sent me the wrong item then promised the belt which never happened on their end after a couple weeks of noncommittal assurances of date and stock.

Ended up buying the 10 rib

771K10 K Series Poly V Belt

Cut in half and it runs fine. It was $32 shipped so that's $16/ belt. Couldn't be happier.

Do note this was for the A/T kit