Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   anybody ran their car w/out the stock muffler?? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/6099-anybody-ran-their-car-w-out-stock-muffler.html)

redrumm 11-11-2009 07:36 PM

i just took mine off and made a turn down tip...........done

FitDEEZ 11-12-2009 02:05 AM

i want to hear a ge8

FitDEEZ 11-12-2009 02:23 AM

ok so im at work and i got impatient so i went outside and did it in 3 mins it sounds really nicee

FitDEEZ 11-12-2009 04:23 AM

i left my stock muffler where it was i jst moved the pipe over .. so it sounds like i have no muffler but its still there i left it on the rubber hangers.. the ge is different i dnt think u can do it with a gd

redrumm 11-12-2009 09:20 AM

? what how is it different. mine is a gd sounds fine to me

chuckvidler 11-12-2009 04:46 PM

I wish i had a pic,

Originally Posted by opie (Post 774326)
chuckvidler; got any pic ?

Cam broke when friend was trying to get a wheel shot... there is a strap hes just a retard.
the dual tip coming out the centre looks epic tho, its making it hard for me to find a body kit... if any one knows of a body kit with centre exhaust port let me know. i want a stainless steel heat shield on it to but i can make that. lol i need to make more money so i can put it into my car:vtec:

polaski 11-12-2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by chuckvidler (Post 773821)
If you dont like it the dont read it. you obviously found it interesting enough to read on. I did this than set up a not so straight pipe so i have a nice dual tip coming out the center. I hat to remove that steel thing hangin ther and add some heat sheilding for saftey lol. this looks awsome and only cost me $30 cuz i welded it myself and had some pipe laying around.

Not knocking it, if the cops around here weren't such haters on the imports I would rock it that way 100% of the time. Sucks living so close to our recently governmentalized automakers and all the bias that breeds.

A bud of mine was once pulled over with his d16 civic with a stock head-cat-midpipe with a flowmaster axleback. Outside the car that sucker is quieter than most pickup trucks in oem setup (esp. the new dodge ram hemi, or a taco with the trd axleback) and the cop tried to issue a ticket until he was challenged to actually do a sound test, then he backed off.

I miss the sound of the engine so much sometimes.

jezVTi 11-13-2009 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Arisenfury (Post 586076)
I'm sure it's possible to squeeze yourself in there but I can't imagine it being a pleasant experience.

That's what she said.

FitDEEZ 11-14-2009 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by redrumm (Post 775259)
? what how is it different. mine is a gd sounds fine to me

the muffler setup is different .. my exhaust without the muffler aims up toward the car now

polaski 11-15-2009 12:21 AM

Honestly it's not that difficult with the car on the ground. It's just two bolts and a ratchet make it easy. (tip, if your donut is seized on, carefully and gently poke a very thin razor blade behind it and it'll pop off.)

Try taking a tranny out the bottom with the car on jack stands - or using a dremel on the cat converter bolts of said car on said jack stands - that's uncomfortable.

Chitownfit 12-09-2009 08:11 PM

I just cut the mid pipe and bought a 90 degree bend for ten bucks. It exits in front of the rear wheel and sounds sweet. An added bonus is that it burbles from time to time.

redrumm 12-09-2009 08:24 PM

YOU CUT IT??? how come

Chitownfit 12-09-2009 10:20 PM

I was bored and it sounded so good without the muffler I figured, why not?!?!:rotfl:

redrumm 12-10-2009 09:11 AM

good enough reason lol

Texas Coyote 12-10-2009 12:46 PM

I changed back to the sock axle back pipe and muffler after over 3 years of listening to a 2 1/2" pipe through a 12" glass rack gradually become louder and louder..... I kind of like the reduced noise level and was actually able to listen to music for the first time in a long time without the volume fully cranked and spent over 6 hours driving yesterday without feeling like my ass had been kicked....I can tell there is a little less pulling power in the upper RPM range but it isn't so terrible because it also seems a little more responsive down low..... Fuel mileage has also dropped a little with the stock system but that could be due to me unconsciously winding the gears a little higher before shifting or any number of other things including seasonal fuel formulation changes.... It is about a 5 minute job to change from one set up to the other depending on whether I am driving down here in bubba land where all of the good old boys have loud dual exhaust systems on their trucks or I am taking a trip on the highway and likely to draw the attention of a small town or city cop out to make his ticket quota for the month.... I am fortunate that the guy that owns the local muffler shop does good work and will help me out with ideas for a complete cat back with a graduation from small to larger diameter pipe whenever I get around to completing all of the engine performance modifications and tuning that I will eventually do if I have enough money and live long enough..... What sounds like music on short drives will wear you out on a long trip so don't cut or mangle the stock mid pipe so that you can't change back to the stock axle back when needed because the sound over a period of time will eventually become annoying.

jezVTi 01-09-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by kancerr (Post 586201)
youre not even down there long enough to get uncomfortable.

That's what she said!!!

qbmurderer13 01-09-2010 02:43 PM

I removed the muffler on my 09. It sounds pretty good, slightly louder and deeper than stock. Wish it was louder though, still sounds stock.

crash001 01-30-2010 12:21 AM

I changed mine it's got 2 3/4 ran to a wicked flow and it sounds like a beast and lots more power it cost 230 installed I put the silencer back on little less power but no more head ache after crusing 70 miles lol

FITdrummer13 06-28-2012 09:12 PM

I took off my axle back the day before I got my Cat-back installed. It sounds really nice, pretty loud, but I definitely felt a loss of power from back pressure (at least that's what i'm assuming it was). All in all, sounds great, but you should just get an aftermarket exhaust for a cleaner sound, and mild power gains. :vtec:

Chitownfit 07-03-2012 10:12 AM

Loss of power... What power?!?!