Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Honda Fit Sport AT, AFE Intake review.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit Sport AT, AFE Intake review.

I actually tried the "SSR Intake" thats in a sticky above. It worked. But throttle reponse was worse than stock w/ K&N. I felt some higher rpm power gains. But was not impressed. Also the intake tubing is 3" which is an overkill for the fits engine. And made a hollow tube sound everytime you hit the gas.

So I bought the AFE Intake for my 07 Fit Sport. Got it for $170 of Amazon brand new.

The quality of the kit is awesome. The Heat shield has a wrinkle finish and mounts to factory locations. The tubing is a high temp plastic polymer. Which is great for intake heat reduction. I gained better than stock w/K&N throttle response. Also had power gains at low and high rpm's. Was very impressed with the kit and the performance gains. And I got the "Pro 5 R" filter with it.

Here's a link to there site.
http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...TH%&brandID=53

Would recommend it to anyone. Here are some pic's

Last edited by geeq; 12-27-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. I might have to rethink about getting the same intake. I was thinking of doing a custom SSR also with my Apexi intake from my civic. What is the pipe diameter of the AFE?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danger69
Nice. I might have to rethink about getting the same intake. I was thinking of doing a custom SSR also with my Apexi intake from my civic. What is the pipe diameter of the AFE?

I think its 2" but will have to measure.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Dang, you sold me! Looks really clean. Now i'm gonna have to get one! Have you noticed ANY help with fuel efficiency? Has it hurt your fuel efficiency? And any weird noises when shutting off and/or turning on the car? Thanks.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Yah, the fuel efficiency was better. It got about 20-25 more miles per tank.

And the normal sound of air winding down from the intake when car is turned off happens. Havent noticed anything when first turned on.

It sound really nice when you step on it now. Much better than the "SSR Intake". Not a hollow tube sound. But also not too loud to distract you or annoy you.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for doing a review on this +rep
did you have to do anything to sensors, or did everything match up like factory?
no CEL?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I like the look of that intake! That's also a sizeable heat shield, which would do my car some good during the summer. I currently have a Fujita SRI, but I'm not getting the best mileage with it. I do have better throttle response than stock, but in the summer, it kinda bogs down when the intake air temperature reaches about 150-160 degrees F. Also, the fitment wasn't great in regards to the piece that was supposed to hook on to the battery clamp.

Is the AFE slightly better performance-wise than other SRIs?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 AM
worth every penny IMO

Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM
I went ahead and bought the intake from Amazon the other day. Soon afterwards, I found a thread somewhere which states that this intake does impede access to the AT dipstick and that AFE didn't take into account automatic transmissions when designing the intake. However, doesn't the stock airbox block access to the dipstick as well?

Either way, if I go through with the installation & not return the intake to Amazon, a friend of mine, who will help me with the install, might cut out part of the bottom of the heat shield to give some sort of access to the transmission dipstick.

I currently have a Fujita SRI, so we will have to reinstall the tubing we took out when we installed the Fujita. Luckily, I still have those parts in my closet.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Did you notice a difference in performance, acceleration, or MPG?

Thinking of getting an intake/exhaust to get a bit more passing acceleration, but I also heard aftermarket intake and exhaust can also INCREASE gas mileage.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Well, it has been 6 days since I've installed the AFE intake. Everything seems to be working fine. I have noticed some more coolant noise from the engine compartment, but I think that's because of the coolant loss when we had to put back the original coolant lines. I think I need to go buy some coolant so I can top it off.

Other than that, I've noticed that the engine, in stop-and-go traffic, doesn't bog down as much when accelerating from a stop. The Fujita intake tube was aluminum, so it got damn hot after driving. After driving around with the AFE intake, the tubing was just warm to the touch.

We did cut down some of the heat shield in order to get access to the AT dipstick. You still need to take off the air filter to get to it, but it's not impossible to access. We also had to trim some of it off so it wouldn't grind against the radiator hose.

I can't wait to see what effect it has on fuel economy. I'm not looking for any vast changes, but I'm hoping for slightly better.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 AM
wait till its does what mine did....twice....afe sent me replacements....after they also failed i got refunded. these are some of the pics afe made me take to verify it was installed correctly. oh and after tha supporting braket breaks its starts cutting into your coolant hose....so keep an eye on it or else you could end up stranded somewhere after all your coolant pumps out.

Last edited by artieman; 04-16-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Well, so far, you are the only one that has complained about this intake. On this and another thread.

I'll save further judgement until after I've had this intake for a while. I'll be checking it tomorrow since I have to drive from Dallas to Waco and back.

It'll also give me a chance to check out my highway fuel economy.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by henryd1981
Well, so far, you are the only one that has complained about this intake. On this and another thread.

I'll save further judgement until after I've had this intake for a while. I'll be checking it tomorrow since I have to drive from Dallas to Waco and back.

It'll also give me a chance to check out my highway fuel economy.
After driving to Waco and back, with a strong headwind going down there plus several stops with the engine running, I managed 33.6 MPG according to my Gas Cubby iPhone app. I was going anywhere from 65-75 mph on the highway, so I think I did rather well.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
I have the same intake as well. The bracket on my heat shield also broke like the one in the picture. It was easily fixed though with a L bracket and some hardware from Home depot. I'll have to post a pic. Great intake.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Where does the tube coming from the Engine head, plug into the intake? All I see is that tube resting up and over the intake but where does it go from there? All other intakes I've seen for the Fit plug directly into the intake piping.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Where does the tube coming from the Engine head, plug into the intake? All I see is that tube resting up and over the intake but where does it go from there? All other intakes I've seen for the Fit plug directly into the intake piping.
there is a hole in the intake piping where it gets plugged into. it's on the bottom side which is why the piping seems to just slip down but it is really hooked up to the intake

Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TFB Designs
I have the same intake as well. The bracket on my heat shield also broke like the one in the picture. It was easily fixed though with a L bracket and some hardware from Home depot. I'll have to post a pic. Great intake.
The bracket in the front broke as well for me.. can you post up a pic of how you fixed it please

Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by suketoborudo00
The bracket in the front broke as well for me.. can you post up a pic of how you fixed it please
How long ago did you install the intake? I had mine installed for almost 4 months when I uninstalled it before selling my Fit, and my front bracket was still intact. No cracking whatsoever.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
More than a year i think. I didn't think it would happen to me but once I saw this thread, a few months later I realized mine broke off too. Out of all the intakes I have tried, this one is my favorite. second being PRM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honda Fit Sport AT, AFE Intake review.