Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Ebay No Namer Intake better than SSR intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Ebay No Namer Intake better than SSR intake?

How does the ebay Intake for 50$ compare to the SSR intake? I'm wondering if this would be a better buy since the SSR intake piping is plastic, and you would to modify the MAF sensor hole yourself. The Ebay kit would be cheaper, have an aluminum piping, no modifications, and be a cheaper price. Let me know if anyone of you have tried or seen this. Thanks
Name:  165.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  77.6 KB
HONDA FIT JAZZ 1.5 1.5L AIR INTAKE 2006-2008 - eBay (item 160528508995 end time Jan-13-11 19:34:41 PST)

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ev0le

i had the different version of Ebay intake....

to me and intake is an intake, no matter what they say....it's all marketing !
because in the end you are still limited by the size of your throttle body.

my experience with intake is that, i noticed i lost MPG....your computer isn't tuned for that amount of Air compare to fuel ratio and would try to adjust it self by dumping more fuel.....way more then it needs, making ur car run rich....not only will u loose MPG...u will loose POWER....

so i suggest
DONT BUY INTAKE UNLESS U HAVE COMPUTER.

but to ur q's...an intake is an intake

Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Thumbs down

Hi,

Looking at that intake...... Not a great design.

Aluminum transfers engine compartment heat. Plastic is better and quieter.

90 degree turn just before throttle body ain't the best idea.

Questionable quality air filter. There are reasons to run a K&N, etc.

The aluminum tube should have some sort of bell mouth where it hooks to the air filter. Without it there is a functional restriction referred to as a "vena cavita" since air doesn't like to turn corners.

John

Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Aluminum dissipates heat far better than plastic (think your car sitting under the sun for 3 hours), have you ever heard of a plastic intercooler or radiator? The aluminum will return to ambient temperature much faster. Also, with all the heat cycles the plastic intake goes through, what sketches me out is if that plastic ever breaks for any reason, you can say hello to possibly bent valves and other engine damage when the shards get sucked into your manifold.

I made one out of a used coupler I found, and 2 90 degree bend I found at my shop laying around and welded them together... I did, however, buy a Green Filter for it. Im currently running an AEM Dryflow filter.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
"Aluminum dissipates heat far better than plastic (think your car sitting under the sun for 3 hours), have you ever heard of a plastic intercooler or radiator? The aluminum will return to ambient temperature much faster"

Yup. That's the point. Aluminum transfers heat faster than plastic.

That's why they put thermal barrier coatings on intake manifolds to stop heat transfer from where it is hot.

John

Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by kirko
Aluminum dissipates heat far better than plastic (think your car sitting under the sun for 3 hours), have you ever heard of a plastic intercooler or radiator? The aluminum will return to ambient temperature much faster. Also, with all the heat cycles the plastic intake goes through, what sketches me out is if that plastic ever breaks for any reason, you can say hello to possibly bent valves and other engine damage when the shards get sucked into your manifold.

There are a number of things plastic underneath the hood, such as the stock airbox.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
just get a K&N oem replacement filter and be done with it. a $50 filter probably gives you similar/close gains as the whole intake anyway,