Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

ETD Racing Bolt-on Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
ETD Racing Bolt-on Turbo Kit

eBay Motors

Let the discussion begin...

boost for under $1200 is tempting but eBay no-name brand stuff is hit or miss, for every item I've gotten from there that is totally solid/quality there's something else that I almost immediately chucked once I got it and regretted the purchase...

I don't see any mention of engine management though...

Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
eBay Motors

boost for under $1200 is tempting but eBay no-name brand stuff is hit or miss, for every item I've gotten from there that is totally solid/quality there's something else that I almost immediately chucked once I got it and regretted the purchase...

I've heard bad things about this particular manufacturer, from that it doesnt fit right to the bearings are crap and wear out in no time. im sure itll be ok if u want turbo for a week

Old 02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
I've heard bad things about this particular manufacturer, from that it doesnt fit right to the bearings are crap and wear out in no time. im sure itll be ok if u want turbo for a week
just remember one thing......NOTHING is direct bolt on....almost all these parts needs minor modifications. and if u can weld or can hold a wrench, then i would say go for it.

the ONLY thing i don't trust in that kit would be the BOV and TURBO....

but if u look at the pics again...the down pipe isnt made for Internal waste gate turbos...hahha ...

Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
It seems like a most "stock photo" type description. And again, no engine management seems to be included.

If the welds on the manifold are good, then it'd be easy enough to get a better quality turbo to replace the generic one, and like you mentioned, some other components would need to be assessed/replaced. Still, if you're handy/have friends in the field to help - the foundation seems solid enough to build a decent setup from, and still stay under the ~3500-5000 price range for HKS, Greddy, and Kraftwerks setup, for example.

I am personally seeking the High Boost Kraftwerks kit - but I thought posting this to discuss would also give some of the more handy members here a little break -kind of a a DIY kit project - the grunt work is done, it just seems to need some refining to be more streetable/reliable, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Oh and I just thought this - anyone recognize which big name kit they are basically knocking off? I can't quite tell. "Our New Products are developed in the US on our own race cars, fully Tested with fitment and Performance. Dyno and Track Proven. All Race Cars Below Use CXRACING Products." LOLz. and more LOLz "Our kit is completely developed from ground up, the most complete kit with all parts fit and easy install."
The only R&D they did was buy an existing name brand kit and then bent tubes and got generic parts to match it of course.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not good with anything but the simplest of tuning devises and the ECUs on the Fits are tricky to fool... It has been done by a couple of people with good results but it would be much too complex and frustrating from my point of view as an old guy that will set a wrench down and not be able to find it because it was in my other hand.... I found info on Jackson Racing developing the Rotrex supercharger kit in 2006, long before there was a Kraft Werks.... I got the kit a few months after the release in spring 2009 and upgraded to high boost last spring... I pretty much did the same as JDMChris as far as the exhaust system with just a couple of personalized tweaks for more flow and so far it has worked flawlessly.. The only other thing I have had to do is use 10-30 oil to cut down some of the blow by that was resulting in tiny black oil droplets coating the back of the car if I was on boost a lot while on the highway.. It was never so bad that I needed to add oil, maybe a loss of 6 ounces in 5000 miles... That is nothing to me since I grew up when brand new cars would commonly use a quart every 500 miles... I need to fiddle around some to reduce the air intake temperatures before summertime but otherwise it is all good.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
eBay Motors

crap turbo
crap bov
no EMS
and the quality of welds is anyones guess

Originally Posted by FELIXY69
just remember one thing......NOTHING is direct bolt on....almost all these parts needs minor modifications. and if u can weld or can hold a wrench, then i would say go for it.

the ONLY thing i don't trust in that kit would be the BOV and TURBO....

but if u look at the pics again...the down pipe isnt made for Internal waste gate turbos...hahha ...
if the wastegate flapper is recessed in enough, the downpipe flange doesnt necessarily need to be cut out for the wastegate.

with that said, i still wouldnt trust that kit.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM
i have been looking at the same kit.. as it is the only bolt on kit i can find as of now.... idk what to do as the only other alternative is custom and i am from Jamaica (dont get me wrong we have our share of fabricators) and want something to fit up and go.. cant be bothered with extended downtime.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Ive installed dozens of ebay turbos both on personal vehicles and on friends' vehicles. NEVER had any issues. I can honestly say ebay turbo failure was a result of poor install and/or treatment

Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Is there anyone out there that actually has this kit than can interject? I too am tempted to not spend 5 grand on a 100hp car.....

I have fun tho. Dumped and cambered on rotas.... It's a light car with 100 hp. So even a 30-40 hp gain is considerable IF it's not going to start sucking spool parts in to your l15a.....

Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by snuggyfit
Is there anyone out there that actually has this kit than can interject? I too am tempted to not spend 5 grand on a 100hp car.....

I have fun tho. Dumped and cambered on rotas.... It's a light car with 100 hp. So even a 30-40 hp gain is considerable IF it's not going to start sucking spool parts in to your l15a.....
Your going to have to add at least $500 to your cost for EMS. $600+ if you go with FlashPro.

I would honestly contact member DSM on here if you want to go boost. He has built reliable systems for our cars on budgets.

As an FYI, I have gotten a 10-20hp gain at the wheels from a FlashPro and basic bolt on's... Considering that's a 10+% improvement it is where you should start if you want more powwaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
Ive installed dozens of ebay turbos both on personal vehicles and on friends' vehicles. NEVER had any issues. I can honestly say ebay turbo failure was a result of poor install and/or treatment
Wasn't aware the plural of anecdote was "data" and its pretty plain that you aren't running real boost and getting the shaft speeds up.

Or these don't see enough mileage to matter in a meaningful comparison.

There is a difference between a Godspeed unit vs. MHI/Borg/Holset/Honeywell/IHI and its not just price.

Friends don't let friends use chinese knockoff turbomachinery.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Your going to have to add at least $500 to your cost for EMS. $600+ if you go with FlashPro.

I would honestly contact member DSM on here if you want to go boost. He has built reliable systems for our cars on budgets.

As an FYI, I have gotten a 10-20hp gain at the wheels from a FlashPro and basic bolt on's... Considering that's a 10+% improvement it is where you should start if you want more powwaaaaaaaahhhhh!
Thanks for the kind words, sir!

Speaking of which I may have a revision in the pipes for you, gratis, since the abilities weren't there when we last worked together.. just to make it a bit more complete. Hoping to have that done in the next week!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
turbo kit insight

Is there any recommendations for me looking to build my own turbo kit?

Im pretty sure it would be a bit cheaper piecing together a kit, the only

problem with that is cutting and getting the plumbing correct dose anyone

nowhere they might sell kits with out the turbo just to pipes and what not?

I know universal kits are defiantly not that way to go..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Quality of that turbo is iffy but I do like the fact that it can be water cooled. I'd much rather have a manifold made of cast iron rather then stainless as it'll last longer; good for daily driving. Pretty cool how the Kit comes with an oil cooler as well. $1200 is cheap. but you still have to worry about engine management..... not too sure about that BOV either.

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 03-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
so i bought this kit. i want to know what size injectors to get... thanks.... will be tuning with aem fic/6

Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
When I upgraded my KWSC base kit with the 10 PSI High Boost I installed the RC 310cc injectors that came with the upgrade kit... You may need larger injectors than I use on a turbo....

Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Purely depends on how much air he's going to move and how rich his setup needs him to run.

I don't imagine Jamaican fuel is going to be the best or most consistent, combine that with 40*C and humid and you're going to be pushing a healthy black haze under boost to run enough timing to make torque and keep EGTs in check lol

Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
ExplosivePotato was making 8 PSI boost off of his turbo and using some pretty large injectors compared to what I got with the high boost upgrade... So far the 310 s on my car have been doing fine but I have a feeling I may be in need of larger ones once it is up and running again... I believe you came up with 12 PSI by upping the rev limit to 7700.. That may be too much for my present injectors.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 AM
310cc/min should be plenty, unless fuel pressure is falling off a lot.

I've moved as much as 35lbs/min on 450cc/min with 25% less base pressure.. granted that was on a bigger pump and a 1:1 boost reference regulator..

Quick Reply: ETD Racing Bolt-on Turbo Kit