Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Boosted 1st Gen L15A1 Lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Boosted 1st Gen L15A1 Lifespan

Hey guys! I used to be pretty active on these forums, but a while ago school kept getting in the way of my modding and tuning time and I had to pick one or the other, so I unfortunately had to take a leave of absence from the whole modding scene.

I'm happy to say that I've graduated with my BS! So I thought I'd come take a look-see at what's been going on in the fit forums and make a comment on the fit's reliability over the long term when boosted.

A little background on my car:
2007 GD3, MR 5MT
T1R turbo kit with 2.5" TBE, AEM FIC engine management (E-Manage didn't allow for closed-loop control, so I ditched it) tuned by me
All the "stock" T1R piping, intercooler, and injector setup
Innovative solid engine mounts - the blue ones between "street" and "race"
A LOT of tires.. This b!tch eats through front tires like a fat kid eats cake.
Dynoed at 155whp, 157wtq. Never did get around to upping the boost beyond 6 pounds

and... my newest featrure.. 100,000 miles!

I've been boosted since around 34,000 or so, been through learning to tune two different piggyback units and their associated "oops" moments, and generally me driving like an a$$ to and from school and work. I live in Michigan so there's the daily sub-zero starts in the winter of course, and although I did move to Mobil 1 5w-30 and increase the oil change frequency a bit (change it when it's ~40% on the oil life monitor), I've done no extra maintainence besides tracking down wiring gremlins in the ECU area (my fault).

I think the most shocking part is that I'm still on the stock clutch. It hasn't slipped at all! Best of all, I still get in the mid to high 30mpg range in mixed driving.

I've been absolutely shocked at the reliability of this car. If you get the tune right, she truly will stick with you for a long time. It really doesn't get old hopping into my Fit and burning through 1st AND 2nd gears, while STILL getting the gas mileage to make well over 300 miles before the gas light turns on.

How many others have high-mileage boosted fits? I wanna see what you guys have been up to while I've been gone. Post em up!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Glade to have you back here and congrats on Graduating. Thats pretty impressive to have gone 70,000 miles boosted with no abnormal maintenance. I only ended up putting 20,000 miles on my car before pulling the SC off

Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
Glade to have you back here and congrats on Graduating. Thats pretty impressive to have gone 70,000 miles boosted with no abnormal maintenance. I only ended up putting 20,000 miles on my car before pulling the SC off
What happened?

Marko!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
im at 75k miles now with the greddy kit. i put it in with 34k on it. still runs strong. still only runing the 4.5 lbs. need to get rid of e manage like u did and im gonna get the aem fic too.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
it ate two belts again. I dont know what is going on, could be the bearing in the SC but this is my only car and the past month it has been very unreliable and well I need a reliable car so I had it removed, kind of sucks.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
it ate two belts again. I dont know what is going on, could be the bearing in the SC but this is my only car and the past month it has been very unreliable and well I need a reliable car so I had it removed, kind of sucks.
ouch. ya i would def get that looked at.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
^^It sucks but what ever I have decided to take my Fit to a whole new level

Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
^^It sucks but what ever I have decided to take my Fit to a whole new level
Looking forward to it!

Really interested in hearing what KW has to say about your situation too.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Welcome back! Ive been boosted the longest out of everyone in north america, Put about 50k on the SC. Car is still running strong, and I beat the piss out of my car. As long as you maintain your car regularly then at 6psi it will run another 100k no problem.

Last edited by JDMchris.com; 02-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
MN, I think its that shop u take ur car to. I recently changed my first belt since on highboost.... and its been on there at highboost for about 20k miles. The bearing in the SC isnt going to cause pre-mature belt wear... If everything is put on correctly and properly tensioned then the belt should last just as long as mine.

too bad ur not in Cali man. Look forward with what u do with ur fit next tho!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Welcome back! Ive been boosted the longest out of everyone in north america, Put about 50k on the SC. Car is still running strong, and I beat the piss out of my car. As long as you maintain your car regularly then at 6psi it will run another 100k no problem.

I am currently running on a Custom Highboost kit and am seeing usually just under 12psi.
That is very encouraging.

Is there a chance you could share what makes your kit custom?

I am guessing you have a slightly smaller pulley than the 10psi guys.. but you are still on the same Hondata unit and compressor right?

Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
MN, I think its that shop u take ur car to. I recently changed my first belt since on highboost.... and its been on there at highboost for about 20k miles. The bearing in the SC isnt going to cause pre-mature belt wear... If everything is put on correctly and properly tensioned then the belt should last just as long as mine.

too bad ur not in Cali man. Look forward with what u do with ur fit next tho!
The belt tension was the first thing I asked him about, MN didn't think so and he seems to be pretty keen on these matters.

Maybe hes got an oddball bearing in his Rotrex or something in his environment like excessive dust/dirt/sand or salt was working away at it?

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-22-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
The belt on my base 5psi KW kit for the A/T was worn ragged after around 20,000 miles. I drive pretty aggressively though. I think I'll probably be changing belts every 15k-20k

Going almost 30k miles with the SC on and no big issues so far... only a few wiring mishaps due to shoddy installation by the mechanic

Last edited by Koi; 02-22-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
well glad to see that your back, while I'm boosted I'm not high mileage yet, but I hope to be later down the line.

my HKS kit seems to be holding up just fine at 9 psi of boost, self-tuned with the AEM FIC, even though I want more. Just for the hell of it and potentially more boost, I've gone through g35 290cc injectors (which ran great), dsm450cc injectors with a resistor box (idle not so great, cruise and boost was good), EvoX 550 injectors with resistor box removed (could only idle rich or else i couldn't get it to idle and would stall, but would cruise/boost alright) and now just installed about 30 minutes ago RDX 410cc injectors. hopefully no more fuel injector changes for me ever...

Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
It could be the shop but I have trust in these guys. They have built some really badass Hondas. They mostly work with Turbos and have built many high HP civics and integras. They even built this B-series Kia Sephia.

YouTube - 325hp Kia with B-series turbo motor

Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by TunaDaMan
well glad to see that your back, while I'm boosted I'm not high mileage yet, but I hope to be later down the line.

my HKS kit seems to be holding up just fine at 9 psi of boost, self-tuned with the AEM FIC, even though I want more. Just for the hell of it and potentially more boost, I've gone through g35 290cc injectors (which ran great), dsm450cc injectors with a resistor box (idle not so great, cruise and boost was good), EvoX 550 injectors with resistor box removed (could only idle rich or else i couldn't get it to idle and would stall, but would cruise/boost alright) and now just installed about 30 minutes ago RDX 410cc injectors. hopefully no more fuel injector changes for me ever...
Wow you've been all over the map with those injectors! I'm still on my RC 310cc injectors (no resistor box req'd) and I only see ~60% duty cycle at redline with a 12.0:1 AFR. I could probably turn it up to 9 and still have some DC to spare. I'd probably be pushing my aging clutch at that point though.. Hmmm... Damn you guys you're making me want to go order a boost controller just to add 3 more pounds! This is why I had to stop modding my car back in college!

I'm kidding I love this place.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Yeh the g35's were pushing it ~80% i think at WOT at 9 psi

The DSM injectors were really only for testing the possibility of wiring up the resistor box, so I used it as an exercise for finding where to splice into the wires. Running those injectors were not to my liking, maybe if i had low impedance injector drivers, the idle could have been smoother. I dunno.

and the EvoX injectors were a pain in my ass haha. flowed too damn much for me to control at idle, that is if I wanted the idle to be around 14.7...although it worked fine at around 13 and below though, but idling there doesn't jive for me.

and now running the RDX injectors, with my ghetto fabness and zipties. I run pretty damn well

Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by TunaDaMan
Yeh the g35's were pushing it ~80% i think at WOT at 9 psi

The DSM injectors were really only for testing the possibility of wiring up the resistor box, so I used it as an exercise for finding where to splice into the wires. Running those injectors were not to my liking, maybe if i had low impedance injector drivers, the idle could have been smoother. I dunno.

and the EvoX injectors were a pain in my ass haha. flowed too damn much for me to control at idle, that is if I wanted the idle to be around 14.7...although it worked fine at around 13 and below though, but idling there doesn't jive for me.

and now running the RDX injectors, with my ghetto fabness and zipties. I run pretty damn well
But even though the DSM units had a choppy idle and the EvoX's were running pig rich, you basically opened the door for us to use anything from ID or FIC from the 750cc/min units all the way up to the 2150's with relatively little modification.

Good stuff! Are you still running stock base fuel pressure?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Yessiree, beaudes the injectors I'm still on the stock fuel system and thus stock fuel pressure. I might consider adding a returnline to the system to be able to have an adjustable fpr

Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
There is more quality info in this thread than the rest of fitfeak.net! Explosivepotato have you bypassed your clutch delay valve? TuDaMan you are the first to actually post that you've run RDX injectors, a lot of people on this site say they will work but no one has actually done it. Clips are different right? Did you have to space the fuel rail to run them? your at 9psi on them right? whats the duty cycle? Are there any larger (than OEM fit) Honda injectors that use the same clips as the fit that you know of(some say RSX)?

I'm running KW 5psi kit with 50mm exhaust right now. I've got a 4-2-1 cat-less header to install once I do injectors. I don't want to do the KW RC injector kit as I plan to set the car up for 10+ psi later.

Last edited by lcq4blackstar; 02-27-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
Well, here is a pic of all the injectors which have been on my fit.
From left to right: 2008 Stock Honda Fit Injectors, 2006 Infinity G35 Injectors, RDX (not sure what year), 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T Injectors, and Mitsubishi Evo X injectors.
as you can see all the injectors are about the same size except for the eclipse injectors, which needs spacers, the RDX are actually a little taller than the stock injectors, so you may want to put in a washer or two inbetween the fuel rail and stock spacer.
Name:  DSCF0029.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  93.1 KB
Name:  DSCF0031.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  106.8 KB
Just for comparison purposes the g35 and evoX
Name:  DSCF0042.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  95.7 KB
stock vs RDX plug length, supposedly you can use stock scion TC injector clips...
Name:  DSCF0064.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  106.3 KB
...the pins aren't exactly in the same spot either, the stock is slightly higher...
Name:  DSCF0065.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  115.2 KB
My modded RDX injector with the extra length cut off and the tabs filed down vs an unmolested injector
Name:  DSCF0085.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  83.7 KB
All i can say is, I'm running RDX injectors with stock clips that are held securely on with zip-ties (otherwise I don't think they would stay on very long or at all).

I've been too lazy after the install to go boosting and checking my IDC, maybe later next month i'll log some runs, but don't count on it.

Also remember all boost is not created equal, even if we were both boosting 5 psi, the amount of air we move might not be the same.

Quick Reply: Boosted 1st Gen L15A1 Lifespan