Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

My Turbo Setup with the Disco Potato

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
My Turbo Setup with the Disco Potato

ok so i have finally installed everything. This is what i have under the hood.

I have JDM Fit 04, with an engine and MT swap of 07 JDM. Earlier i was running the T1R kit, its a good kit but i needed an upgrade. So GT28RS

Engine is built with - Pauter connecting rods, CP Pistons, Clevite bearings.
im using GT28RS Disco potato, and RC 550 inj and 255 Walbro and 3 bar MAF sensor. Oh and of course the manual Boost controller
Transmission build - Stage3 clutchmasters, Mfactory LSD and lightweight flywheel.

Here are some of the pix after the engine build, and with the new turbo installed.

As you can see, we blocked off the internal wastegate on the turbo and used the Tial wastegate from the T1R kit. My mechs told me that having an External wastegate is much better.
Im using a custom down pipe about 2.75 inch all the way up to till the muffler, and the muffler is a Greddy TiC 3inch. And yes i am using the turbo manifold that came with the T1r kit, and it bolted on no probs, i thought it would have clearance issues when putting the turbo in the engine bay or i may have to hammer the firewall but surprisingly it fit perfect with alot space, we just had to custom make the pipings for the intake and all that stuff, so no biggy!!

I felt a huge difference with the engine sound after the rebuild and the new turbo, although im still on 5 psi there is a difference with having a bigger turbo at 5psi. So for now i have to break in the pistons rings, stage 3 clutch and LSD for a month. So I get the injectors, fuel pump, boostcontroller and MAF sensor put in on the day of the dynotune. ETA will be mid December.
So far now im gonna driving upto 5 psi just to slowly break this baby in!! I am quite satisfied because i know my engine is not gonna blowup now that it has some forged internals.

Im aiming for about 250 to 275 to the Wheels with this set up on pump gas after the dyno tune , here in Bahrain we use 95 Octane.

Hey DiamondStarMonsters!! im waiting for your input on this, u were always helpful when i needed you, so now i have finally done it.

Last edited by azkikersfit; 11-11-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Hummm a Disco Potato at 5 Psi! IAT must be surprisingly low!

Marko!!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
The wat will be low?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
IAT=intake air temp

looks like a crazy build. cant wait to see dyno results

Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
IAT=intake air temp

looks like a crazy build. cant wait to see dyno results
yeah i figured thats wat he meant, is that good thing that temps maybe low?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Also can't wait for dyno results. Hoping you cleaned that thing before putting it back in

Old 11-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by azkikersfit
yeah i figured thats wat he meant, is that good thing that temps maybe low?
The lower, the better! Low IAT = denser, more knock resistant air charge = More HP!!!

Be sure to post a dyno plot here!

Marko!!

Old 11-13-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
YES SIR i will Dohctor!!

Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i cleaned it up right after the pic, i should have done it before but ..... i was so excited i wasnt thinkin, i just wanted to take a pic for our forum.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
BTW, "disco potato" brings back memories of my Nissan days. I had a 2002 specV and was always in awe of the Disco Potato Sentra. Not sure how many people now realize this Garrett turbo is actually named after a brownish/purplish/greenish 2001 Sentra that had a Jim Wolf SR20 in it. Not sure if the car exists anymore?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azkikersfit
ok so i have finally installed everything. This is what i have under the hood.

I have JDM Fit 04, with an engine and MT swap of 07 JDM. Earlier i was running the T1R kit, its a good kit but i needed an upgrade. So GT28RS

Engine is built with - Pauter connecting rods, CP Pistons, Clevite bearings.
im using GT28RS Disco potato, and RC 550 inj and 255 Walbro and 3 bar MAF sensor. Oh and of course the manual Boost controller
Transmission build - Stage3 clutchmasters, Mfactory LSD and lightweight flywheel.

Here are some of the pix after the engine build, and with the new turbo installed.

As you can see, we blocked off the internal wastegate on the turbo and used the Tial wastegate from the T1R kit. My mechs told me that having an External wastegate is much better.
Im using a custom down pipe about 2.75 inch all the way up to till the muffler, and the muffler is a Greddy TiC 3inch. And yes i am using the turbo manifold that came with the T1r kit, and it bolted on no probs, i thought it would have clearance issues when putting the turbo in the engine bay or i may have to hammer the firewall but surprisingly it fit perfect with alot space, we just had to custom make the pipings for the intake and all that stuff, so no biggy!!

I felt a huge difference with the engine sound after the rebuild and the new turbo, although im still on 5 psi there is a difference with having a bigger turbo at 5psi. So for now i have to break in the pistons rings, stage 3 clutch and LSD for a month. So I get the injectors, fuel pump, boostcontroller and MAF sensor put in on the day of the dynotune. ETA will be mid December.
So far now im gonna driving upto 5 psi just to slowly break this baby in!! I am quite satisfied because i know my engine is not gonna blowup now that it has some forged internals.

Im aiming for about 250 to 275 to the Wheels with this set up on pump gas after the dyno tune , here in Bahrain we use 95 Octane.

Hey DiamondStarMonsters!! im waiting for your input on this, u were always helpful when i needed you, so now i have finally done it.

Hey, where are you DSM

Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Hey Arton! Sorry I got your PM, I've just been crazy busy. Looks like a pretty badass setup you got there!

Just remind your tuner to not go crazy with spark timing advance since your only on pump gas!

If you run rich, low timing around peak torque and make your power on boost that should be a fast and reliable setup.

Take your time upping the boost. That baby should make 275whp without breaking a sweat. I'm glad you went with the external wastegate, that'll resolve a lot of headaches.

Anytime you need help hit me up! I'm glad it's finally coming together. That should haul ass.

I figured spool wouldn't be a big deal even with the larger hotside I recommended.

When do you see full boost in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear?

Can't wait to see it on "kill mode!" Get some videos of the dyno pulls!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 AM
I would also consider getting an oil cooler and maybe a water injection kit to deal with the heat in your neck of the woods!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by vinnymac
Hey, where are you DSM
Oh I'm here vinny and not going anywhere soon!

Just been busy in the shadows on both my cars and a couple other projects in addition to a full time job and spending time with the GF.

Needless to say I don't sleep much

When he PM'd me with his plans a few months back I knew it was going to be a monster, and it looks like he did it to a T per my recommendations. I really want to see some numbers.

275whp in a Fit is going to give a surprising number of cars a black eye from a roll race.

I am only worried about the heat over there and the fact they only run 95RON fuel. If he keeps the timing low, runs rich and fills the gap with some boost, he could make a ton of power and run it for a good long time!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Chris!!!!
man am i glad to hear from you!! i will be informing the tuner about what you have told me. And ill make sure it is done!! and yes im looking at mid December for the dyno tuning, i need to break in the parts. Oh i already have the Oil cooler installed, its been sometime, i think it was B&M.

Well right now im just running 5 PSI at full boost on all gears. And dude !! does it boost nicely!!! i can only imagine on wat it would be like on 15 - 20 PSI....

but for sure im gonna have Video and pics of the run and the dyno sheets

Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 AM
All in all well done! The GT2860RS is gonna be a blast if you can pull off 20psi you'll be moving 27-30lbs/min at 20psi (~2.3PR on the vertical axis of the top map) which puts you pretty much in the sweet spot (74-76% efficiency) on that turbo like I was telling you. Depending on how much the stock intake manifold restricts flow of course.

But 27-30lbs min is good for 260-310whp depending on other factors. The torque to go with it should be nearly as high. Hope you got some good tires

You chose the .86A/R or the .64A/R exhaust housing? I think I remember suggesting the .86 for top end pull.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Now u see, this is why i love it when DSM Chris is in the mof@#king house!! I just got back on a long drive in the FIt and my God i love the boost already even at 5 PSI its pulls nice and the built engine sound with 2.75 inch straight pipe to Greddy muffler at the end, brings out a nice deep low rumble.

Then i get back online and i see DSMChris with his intell just brings that good vibrations!!!

Yeah i remember your suggestion of getting a 0.86 AR but i was just worried that i might lose low end torque and slower spooling. And i like the instantaneous pull which is on now. And plus the roads here aint that long either, so i love pulling hard at the corners, i am actually quite satisfied with the setup now!! and im sure its only about 150 - 160 whp, and i have removed alot of the heavy stuff. Im thinking of removing the backseat too. Like i said, i can only imagine wat it would be like at 260 whp, id probably shit my pants and have a big smile on my face!!!

thanks man!!

Last edited by azkikersfit; 11-14-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
hahaha yeah!!

Both rear seats weight about 80lbs! Removing these as well as the jack and spare tire is good for .3 .4 sec on my car!

+ Rep!

Marko!!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
ok i took her out for hard drive last night and when i pulling hard on 3rd gear at about 100km/h on a clear open super highway, i clutched it and revved just to see how it sound and nuthing seem to happen?!! no rev, no turbo boost nuthing, the car was just running. Usually when i m running at 80 or more i can double clutch it and still rev and hear and feel the engine and turbo whine.
This is not the first time, wat could it be? could it be the tune or wat?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 AM
what are you tunning with?

Quick Reply: My Turbo Setup with the Disco Potato