Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

DIY: Installing an Injen CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 AM
DIY: Installing an Injen CAI

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Ok guys to my knowledge I'm the first with one installed so I figured I'd do it up H-T style and do a quick write up for you less technically inclined mofo's haha.

Where I got it: ShowStoppersUSA.com if you don't know now you know..free shipping on everything and his prices are outta control.. Thanks Chuck!

What you get. Shit is clean and well done. Take note that this system is designed to be either a CAI or a Short ram.

Next..I didn't lay it out step by step because if you can't figure out how to get the stock airbox out you shouldn't be doing this anyways. The instructions are good for this, theres like two bolts holding it in and a few clamps. Probably a good time to take your negative battery cable off here as well. Then decide SR or CAI..short ram is pretty simple from this point once the airbox is out, I know what about hydrolock? dude are you seeing the pics of where the filter is at, that's 3/4's of the way up the tire..I wouldn't take a stock car that deep in water so use your head.
Now the tricky part is getting the bumper off. There are four plastic clip thingies under the hood, two screws on each fender, two screws and an assortment of those stupid plastic clips under the bumper, you can tell what needs to come off when you get under there so use these numbers as a guideline.
Then you need to pull and lift up..I took a pic here because in this area in black is where the bumper clips in place on the sides, and also the bumper clips underneath the headlights, don't be a gooby, just yank they will pull right out.

Ok so now that you got the bumper off, and hopefully the stock air box, follow the rest of the directions of installing the hose connections, clamps, and the first short piece of pipe.
Then its Dremel time. Per the instructions you need to cut a small piece of the plastic underlining..
Here's stock.

Here's after you cut.

Ok now that your done.. you need to relocate a ground wire. here is a pic of it removed.

Remove this body color matched bolt..NOTE I already removed it.

Install it so it looks like this.

Now you can snake the second pipe from the bottom to the top of the engine bay, don't be dumb and try it the other way unless you like your intake scratched. Will look like this after you followed the instructions and put the Vibra mount thing where the old ground was.

Connect the two together leaving a little space in the hump connector so the pipes don't bind. Make sure you properly space the intake and shake it around before you tighten it up so its in the right place.

Ok now your done, reverse the bumper install. Put your negative battery terminal back on, check that everything is tight. Start it up, let it idle a little bit and check for leaks. Take it out and romp on it!
Do I like it? Hell ya, I'm glad I waited for it because not only was it a super clean install with quality parts, but the dyno sheet with the MR technology that tunes for not only HP and TQ but for proper A/F makes it all the worth wild. Next I'll be adding the Tanabe Concept G exhaust, and will post pics of that as well.
Dyno sheet for teh haters: :thumbup:

Last edited by dacalac; 09-07-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
nice writeup and DIY! By the way i think that the A/F chart is saying that the CAI leaned it out a bit. But that makes sense, more air! Probably if you don't beat on it you could get better MPG!

Old 09-07-2006, 03:37 PM
How is anyone going to learn how to install this intake by looking in an exhaust thread..whoever moved this in here, please move it back it makes no sense

Old 09-07-2006, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
posts moved to it's own thread. =)

edit: also edited your original post to add the legal disclaimer to cover your butt. =)

Old 09-08-2006, 11:35 AM
very nice install good job

Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
thank you DACALAC!!! If anyone has any questions or needs help just post, I check in daily from my blackberry

Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 PM
i would buy that intake if it didn't have that break there for the short ram. welps, ill just stick to my fujita.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Looks good.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:35 PM
putting this intake in really kicked my ass......

Old 09-12-2006, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
we need some straight down shots i wanna force this into my auto! pleeeeze? =]

Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I like the injen but I got the fujita instead. This one looks like a real pain in the ass to install... It looks really good though and thanks for the write-up. How often do you need to change/inspect the air filter? Do you have to remove the bumper to do so ?

Old 09-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Best I could do.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
thnx for the pix! it looks like a very tight fit so idk i might b the guinea pig 2 test it out.....unless a company wants to sell me it as a R&D. =]

Old 09-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Sorry for asking this redundant question but what does this do to your warranty? I'm a middleaged guy and am sort of out of the loop. Looks cool though.
Thanks.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
thnx for the pix! it looks like a very tight fit so idk i might b the guinea pig 2 test it out.....unless a company wants to sell me it as a R&D. =]
It's hard to tell from those shots, but it looks like it might have more room than the Fujita one does. Maybe with the different sections you could put them together at just the right angle to get it around the AT.

I'll definitely be interested to hear if anyone gets it in an AT!

Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 AM
warranty...well heres the deal, if something happend they would have to prove that its the part that did it...meaning if my brakes fail that can't be like oh you have an intake...your covered under magnson moss act (SP) that says they have to prove that it was the part... I'm not to worried because besides taking the bumper off, putting the stock box on could litteraly take me 10 minutes

Old 09-14-2006, 01:48 AM
I also wanted to let everyone know I got the Tanabe concept G on..holy quiet batman...if your looking for deep, quiet exhaust..its Concept G.

Make sure you hit up my man Chuck at showstoppersusa.com and tell him dmxsoulja3 sent you....you can reach him on AIM showstoppersusa for all your Fit needs

Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 AM
ok. thanks.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
errr ... how about cleaning??? gotto take out bumper again?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 AM
the filter is easy to get to.....no need to take the bumper off...just fold back the plastic wheel well as if u were going to change the headlights and the filter should be in there

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing an Injen CAI