Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

muffler n00b

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Question muffler n00b

So I was looking at the underside of my Fit, ya know, jus' cuz. I've never really cared about the underside of my cars before.

WHY do I need a muffler in the axle-back portion if there's a perfectly good resonator about half-way down the exhaust pipe
I mean, an engine this small can't possibly be generating that much resonance, right? (My last car was a '78 Caddy Eldorado...now that car sure as heck did need a resonator, all 425c.i.d. of it.)

Why can't I just do a "muffler delete" and maybe get some nice mandrel bent pipe for the axle-back part? Granted, it may not have the best "tone", but it would have to free up the flow, right? Not to mention save a little bit of weight.

Be patient guys, this a muscle-car guy's first tuner.

Last edited by Aerodynamic Head; 09-13-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I think you will lose some of that backpressure by doing that.. and the tuners need that.. or its good to have lmao.. alot of these jackasses like to put freakin 6inch or 5inch fart cans that you can stick a FETUS in..
I think its a good thing to have a muffler for some of that backpressure for tq and such.. (iam not much of a tuner yet either)

Old 09-14-2006, 12:37 AM
That's interesting. The newer consensus in the muscle world (at least in the classic muscle world, where displacement is everything) is that there's no such thing as good backpressure. The giant exhaust pulses generate all the pressure you'd need.

Can you (or anyone) tell me exactly what the difference is between the two tanabe (Concept G and Medalion Touring) systems, besides their obvious physical shape)?
I'd like to find something with tht deep, "dark" tone (my fav is that really soft "burble-burble" sound of a big V8, almost like it's underwater). I know I can't duplicate that, but I'd like to get as close as I can.

It looks like all these "fetus launcher" cans reuire cutting the underside of the rear bumper; man, I really don't want to do that.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:51 AM
And here's another dumb question:
In the Old School we had glass packs, and they sounded gooooood, baby! Purple Hornies, Cherry Bombs, you know.

What would be the effect of something like that on this here rice-burner? (which I am daily falling in love with because it handles , something I thought only a motorcycle could do.)