Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Crank Pulley and Accessory Pulleys Weight Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Crank Pulley and Accessory Pulleys Weight Question

Reducing rotating weight!

I understand that reducing weight is good for acceleration. Reducing rotating weight is better. Reducing rotating weight furthest from the center of rotation is the best. So here's my question.

Two identical Fits. Both are stock.

Fit #1 Reduced their crank pulley weight from 5lbs to 1lb. Most of the weight reduction is on the outside of the pulley itself.

Fit#2 Reduced their accessory pulleys for a total of 4lbs. Most of the weight loss was on the outside of their pulleys. Stock crank pulley is still being used.

Which one would benefit from the weight reduction the most? Would the total weight loss from the accessory pulleys benefit more because they are furthest from the source that is rotating them? Was going to post this in the physics forum but figured I give it a shot here. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
I would have to say in this instance that fit #1 would have the overall better acceleration.

When considering a set of accessory pulleys, they are small in diameter so even though you are removing mass from them, the amount of torque required to turn the set would be lower.

If you are lowering weight towards the outside of the crank pulley, it will require less torque to get the pulley into motion. The overall power required to turn that pulley would be lowered significantly.

In the idea of fastest acceleration of the engine I would say fit #1 would be better (example revving in a parking lot), but if this were an endurance car I would want lighter accessory pulleys due to less resistance being placed on the crank.

Last edited by kylerwho; 04-19-2015 at 06:07 AM.