Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Skunk2 Fit Exhaust is out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Skunk2 Fit Exhaust is out!

Just found this on their website!

60mm exhaust. $598.00

What do ya think? Too big in diameter?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Knowing that we are starting off with this stock setup:

"So the rate of flow for the VTEC engine is now 55litres per second as compared to 50 litres per second for the i-DSI and this is achieved by increasing the diameter of the exhuast piping from 38.1mm to 42.7mm while the rear muffler volume is increased from 8 litres to 10 litres at the same time." (taken from http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/index.html)

So a 12% increase gave 5 lps flow increase going from the 38.1 (~1.5" diam) to the 42.7 (~1.7" diam) piping....apply this percentage change ratio to a 40% increase (from 42.7 to the larger 60mm piping) it should gain ~16 liters/sec in flow, all else being equal. I'm sure there is a more accurate way to estimate this...the above is very rough. But a 40% diameter increase seems really nice, although the Fit's stock engine may not make much more power.

Unless combined w/ other bolt-ons, I don't think the power increase would be that great. I think it is a very expensive way to change the sound of your car!

Old 10-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
they will be releasing a 50mm sized setup in the future, the 60mm would be used
along with like a turbo setup or something

Old 10-02-2006, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I am also planning on intake and header so according to the folks at skunk2 the 60mm would work.

I also spoke with them on the phone today and they stated that they ran several setups and the 60mm made the most power on a stock motor.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:40 PM
After looking at some generic exhaust sizing charts, the 60mm (close to 2.25") is suggested for smaller engines making ~150 hp. So it shouldn't be too big, if used w/ other mods.

leonine, did skunk indicate the gains they saw?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
After looking at some generic exhaust sizing charts, the 60mm (close to 2.25") is suggested for smaller engines making ~150 hp. So it shouldn't be too big, if used w/ other mods.

leonine, did skunk indicate the gains they saw?
no they haven's released that info yet. Still my favorite, although i really like the angled exit on the ASPEC. S2 is for me though.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:22 PM

"So the rate of flow for the VTEC engine is now 55litres per second as compared to 50 litres per second for the i-DSI and this is achieved by increasing the diameter of the exhuast piping from 38.1mm to 42.7mm while the rear muffler volume is increased from 8 litres to 10 litres at the same time." (taken from http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/index.html)

So a 12% increase gave 5 lps flow increase going from the 38.1 (~1.5" diam) to the 42.7 (~1.7" diam) piping....apply this percentage change ratio to a 40% increase (from 42.7 to the larger 60mm piping) it should gain ~16 liters/sec in flow, all else being equal. I'm sure there is a more accurate way to estimate this...the above is very rough. But a 40% diameter increase seems really nice, although the Fit's stock engine may not make much more power.

Unless combined w/ other bolt-ons, I don't think the power increase would be that great. I think it is a very expensive way to change the sound of your car!
wouln't be a bit cheaper to buy a "universal" muffler and have 60mm pipe bent and welded to it? Uh, that is if you want it JUST for looks and not street racing.

Last edited by docjim2; 10-02-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
wouln't be a bit cheaper to buy a "universal" muffler and have 60mm pipe bent and welded to it? Uh, that is if you want it JUST for looks and not street racing.
Yeah it probably would be cheaper but i'll spend the dough for a simple bolt on that i can do myself and to have a quality product. Not to mention it is stainless. That would cost $$$ even if you were gonna have a custom fab one.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
WOW...looks just like HKS, APEX'i, Tanabe, etc...How original of Skunk2!

Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by leonine
Yeah it probably would be cheaper but i'll spend the dough for a simple bolt on that i can do myself and to have a quality product. Not to mention it is stainless. That would cost $$$ even if you were gonna have a custom fab one.
I found a "performance" shop that has nice stainless mufflers @ $99 and up. But some of the people that post here talk about Photoshop like it is a $46 dollar program and I know what Photoshop costs. I'm not that rich!

Last edited by docjim2; 10-02-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Go for it.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member

It doesn't quite work like that. The cross-section of an exhaust pipe is a circle. We know the diameter of the circle is 42.7 mm for the OEM pipe and 60 mm for the new pipe. Area of a circle is pi * radius ^ 2. So... for the OEM pipe, the cross-sectional area is 1432 square millimeters. For the 60 mm pipe, it's 2827. That's a 97% increase in area (and volume as a result)!

The Temple of VTEC article you quoted isn't saying that the exhaust size increase resulted in the 5 liters per second flow increase. It's simply saying the 1.5 liter engine (probably the head, mainly) can flow 5 liters/second more, and the exhaust piping is larger to avoid being a restriction.

In general, increasing the size of an engine's exhaust piping won't increase the flow rate of the engine unless the exhaust is the restriction. I'm certain that the Fit's exhaust stops being the restriction way before it's 60 mm in diameter. It's really likely that the head is the restriction, and increasing exhaust size (especially that much) has very little, if any, effect.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by yobtah
It doesn't quite work like that. The cross-section of an exhaust pipe is a circle. We know the diameter of the circle is 42.7 mm for the OEM pipe and 60 mm for the new pipe. Area of a circle is pi * radius ^ 2. So... for the OEM pipe, the cross-sectional area is 1432 square millimeters. For the 60 mm pipe, it's 2827. That's a 97% increase in area (and volume as a result)!

The Temple of VTEC article you quoted isn't saying that the exhaust size increase resulted in the 5 liters per second flow increase. It's simply saying the 1.5 liter engine (probably the head, mainly) can flow 5 liters/second more, and the exhaust piping is larger to avoid being a restriction.

In general, increasing the size of an engine's exhaust piping won't increase the flow rate of the engine unless the exhaust is the restriction. I'm certain that the Fit's exhaust stops being the restriction way before it's 60 mm in diameter. It's really likely that the head is the restriction, and increasing exhaust size (especially that much) has very little, if any, effect.
Good points...I wasn't saying it would increase engine flow itself, but was alluding to increase capacity of the exhaust. I guess the sentence can be misleading, as I read it to mean: "So the rate of flow...is now 55litres per second...and this is achieved by increasing the diameter of the exhuast piping from 38.1mm to 42.7mm while the rear muffler volume is increased from 8 litres to 10 litres at the same time".
But you're correct about the volume increase being significant. I just wonder what a 97% increase does to the exhaust gas velocity...and if this really matters once exhaust passes the cat.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
But you're correct about the volume increase being significant. I just wonder what a 97% increase does to the exhaust gas velocity...and if this really matters once exhaust passes the cat.
The bigger diameter exhaust piping will definitely slow exhaust flow... but I don't know how much.

I have a couple of guesses on why Skunk2 would use 60 mm piping:

Either way, I'm guessing they didn't do it purely for performance. Without some major head work or forced induction, the L15 isn't large enough and doesn't flow enough.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:26 AM
      5 Year Member
      Originally Posted by yobtah
      The bigger diameter exhaust piping will definitely slow exhaust flow... but I don't know how much.

I have a couple of guesses on why Skunk2 would use 60 mm piping:
      • It's what they had on hand, and it would have been more difficult to get smaller piping.
      • They're worried people who are accustomed to 2.25" or 2.5" piping on Civics and Integras would see smaller than 2" piping on a $500 aftermarket exhaust and think it's not worth the price.
      Either way, I'm guessing they didn't do it purely for performance. Without some major head work or forced induction, the L15 isn't large enough and doesn't flow enough.
      I totaly agree....

Old 10-05-2006, 01:32 PM
      5 Year Member
      If you guys really want this post to be effective. I can merge it with the existing one IN THE SKUNK2 VENDOR FORUM.