Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

New J's Racing chamber intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 805FitSport
test fitting it on your car would be pointless because you have the JDM front end (which is badass) but i saw in one of the pics for the yellow car of the install on it. it screws on to a head light balliast for the HID's (which we don't have). i think it will fit our cars but it will require a different mount for the filter.
If you could get your hands on just the funnel part of the mount, that metal tab would be easy to replace with something that'll reach to a nearby bolt/screw hole I'm sure. Problem is, I doubt J's would sell the separate parts yet, but I don't know for sure.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Former Vendor
test fitting it on your car would be pointless because you have the JDM front end (which is badass) but i saw in one of the pics for the yellow car of the install on it. it screws on to a head light balliast for the HID's (which we don't have). i think it will fit our cars but it will require a different mount for the filter.
I think you didn't check out the AJR forum . We have shipped an USDM Fit to Japan and it is sitting there for parts development.

We are working on it

You may get somewhat more horsepower, but not the driveability, which is what chambers are all about. Having that big volume of air sitting, ready to be used instantly, has a big impact on throttle response -- especially in situations where there's a lot of on/off throttle usage (racing, autox, etc.). For example, I know that in a straight line, my Power Box doesn't feel too much different than stock, but when I hit a good winding road the car really feels alive and the engine power is right there when you need it in an instant. That's what you're paying for.
I 100% agreed with this point. Chamber type intake will give you better driveavility and accleration at all rpm ranges.

All CAI, have decent gains but ON/OFF throttle response sucks. If you want sharp acceleration, a stick and a filter will not do the work. I guess you shouldnt complain for the price that you pay for them.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:40 PM
wow, so J's will be making alot of stuff for the USDM Fit? i have to disagree with the chamber intake and CAI comparison, ive seen to many dyno runs and respectable tunners show me and tell me why a simple CAI will always make more gains.... AEM tried the chamber style stuff with there V2, and its no different from the other CAI's. like i said before, CAI pipe are so long that they end up giving you the large volume of air affect that a chamber intake will give you, filter design is also important to smoothen out the air flow. i would like to see a comparison with the Fujita or Injen vs japans best airbox on the same car and on the same day.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
wow, so J's will be making alot of stuff for the USDM Fit? i have to disagree with the chamber intake and CAI comparison, ive seen to many dyno runs and respectable tunners show me and tell me why a simple CAI will always make more gains.... AEM tried the chamber style stuff with there V2, and its no different from the other CAI's. like i said before, CAI pipe are so long that they end up giving you the large volume of air affect that a chamber intake will give you, filter design is also important to smoothen out the air flow. i would like to see a comparison with the Fujita or Injen vs japans best airbox on the same car and on the same day.
I think the problem here is that it seems you're judging the value of any given intake solely based on the overall increases it gives on a dyno -- i.e. if the J's gives 4.34hp and Fujita CAI ~5-6 hp (hypothetical, I know it's probably something else, I just don't feel like checking now), then the Fujita is the better intake. Thing is Ben, myself, and others are judging it on feel, response, and how it affects putting what power the engine makes down to the pavement. This is something you simply can't see on a dyno plot I'd say, you just have to go drive cars w/ different intakes to compare. Also, drag strips mean nothing for testing response, 'cause it's pretty much off, and then full on for the entire run; for real testing you need to go to a circuit or autox course where speeds/loads vary and throttle control precision/response is penultimate. In comparison to a CAI, you are right -- there is probably a similar amount of air in the tube compared with a chamber, BUT, the difference is that w/ a CAI that volume of air has to travel the full length of the tube to be fed into the engine -- all 2-3ft of it -- and that takes time; with a chamber like the T1R, Power Box, or J's, you have the full ~1.5L of air already pooled up in the chamber, ready for instant use, only maybe 6-10" from the throttle body which improves reponse time immensely. That's why from the way myself and others are looking at it, chambers are better. BTW, no one is right or wrong here I'd say -- it's more that you need to ask yourself what you're going to use your car for and then pick your intake based on whatever design suits your needs the best, not just by how much HP/TQ it makes.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:09 AM
Someone that Posts too much
i agree with chikubi and ben on this one

when i had the t1r intake box on the car, the DRIVEABILITY was tons better.. it felt the car wanted to go, esp. when you lift off throttle and back on it again right away (like in a turn)..

-joe

Old 11-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by sillypuddy
i agree with chikubi and ben on this one

when i had the t1r intake box on the car, the DRIVEABILITY was tons better.. it felt the car wanted to go, esp. when you lift off throttle and back on it again right away (like in a turn)..

-joe
have you driven a Fit with a cold air??? i can say i felt the same results with mine... lol im sorry, but im into making power, and if the T1R or the J's made .58493203 of a hp more than the CAI's out right now i would gladly pay the extra premium but i just don't see that happening.

chikubi, i don't see your point on how the extra volume of air closer to the TB will make such a difference... ive been modifing cars for some years now and when we dyno cars we use a load type dyno called a dyno dynamics, its a pretty low reading dyno and it simulates road type driving. anyway we had a 04 s2000 on there with a 1000 dollar chamber intake and to my suprise it lost power up top from the factory airbox. i know there not alot of improvement to work with on the S2000 airbox cause its well designed but another S2000 at another time was dynoed and it made about 8 more WHP then the last car we installed the chamber intake on. the 2nd S2000 only had a injen CAI and a hondata manifold gasket. the 04 s2000 had the j's chamber intake, mugen header and some sort of cat back.

this is why im not a fan of these intakes, but i have to say this is the 1st time ive seen a CAI from a JDM tunner.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Someone that Posts too much
everybody has their opinins.. and ben's been in the business for 15 years (congrats btw) ..

-joe

Old 11-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Former Vendor
have you driven a Fit with a cold air??? i can say i felt the same results with mine... lol im sorry, but im into making power, and if the T1R or the J's made .58493203 of a hp more than the CAI's out right now i would gladly pay the extra premium but i just don't see that happening.

chikubi, i don't see your point on how the extra volume of air closer to the TB will make such a difference... ive been modifing cars for some years now and when we dyno cars we use a load type dyno called a dyno dynamics, its a pretty low reading dyno and it simulates road type driving. anyway we had a 04 s2000 on there with a 1000 dollar chamber intake and to my suprise it lost power up top from the factory airbox. i know there not alot of improvement to work with on the S2000 airbox cause its well designed but another S2000 at another time was dynoed and it made about 8 more WHP then the last car we installed the chamber intake on. the 2nd S2000 only had a injen CAI and a hondata manifold gasket. the 04 s2000 had the j's chamber intake, mugen header and some sort of cat back.

this is why im not a fan of these intakes, but i have to say this is the 1st time ive seen a CAI from a JDM tunner.
Once you talk about S2000, I think I have to get my hand on this . I dynoed my S2000 with the J's intake and I only made 6whp, it wasn't alot considering the price.The J's intake for S2000 is different than the intake for the Fit , it has the snorkel so the dyno will not accurate because when the car is in speed ,while the snorkel pressurized the intake tempurature will be a lot lowered so you should see about 2-3 more whp.

Driveability is remarkably improved. The response is so good, it made big enough difference while I am at the tracking competing against Porsches (just more competitive )

The only chamber that I dynoed and which has lost power was the ARC. I can tell you the reason because the inside of the chamber got built with so much edges ,it created a lot of turbulance inside while the intake is in operation. This really affects the performance, same concept that you will lose power if you any intake off the car (I mean No intake, not even stock).

Just my 0.2cents from my expierence.

Thanks
Ben

Last edited by AJ PwR Jr.; 11-24-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:20 PM
that guys car must have been acting up or something..... but i know what you mean with ARC intakes, had a STi's timming all over the place with that intake, it was creating sooo many problems on some guys car he just decided to put the stock one back on.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 AM
i had took a swing at aleast getting the mugen air filter, and after about 2 tanks of gas i went right back to stock, i'd rather save my gas milage instead of modding my slow car, drivability or not, gas is more important to me.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor
Gas mileage is important too but it also depends on your driving and how much % of throttle while you are hitting the gas pedal. Sometimes the part that you installed doesn't affect too much of the mileage and actually when you installed a part and you got too excited after all, you increased the % of throttle that you don't even reconize, then you used more gas. It just had happened to a lot of my customers

Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Any update on the J's intake being avaible for the US fit?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Former Vendor
The development is still under progress so as soon as I get more info, I will give you guys an update.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:02 PM

the s2k probably lost at the high end cuz of the design of the airbox, at high rpm the chamber probably created so much turbulence that the air flow stagnated and slowed down (although this is all speculation as i do not know the design of the intake you're talking about) on a dyno you NEVER go on and off throttle, it just doesnt make sense and thats why you cant measure the actual response of the engine, the dyno you're using probably just simulates the load on the engine

the T1R intake chamber looks like it would create quite a bit of turbulence at WOT at high rpms and iirc the dyno graphs prove this

response wise the T1R would definetly be better, the whole air chamber's volume is within a less then a foot of the throttle body, in adition the air is moving slowly through the chamber which increases it's pressure reducing the suction loss effect (i dont know the actual name) whereas in a cold air intake the entire tube of air must move and thus would respond slower, i know this has all been said but i figure a rewording may make it easier to understand

since the fit's redline is relatively low (compared to the s2k anyways) the high rpm turblence which affected the s2k would not be apparent (or at the very least not as great) which overall makes the t1r the better choice

Old 12-27-2006, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
the s2k probably lost at the high end cuz of the design of the airbox, at high rpm the chamber probably created so much turbulence that the air flow stagnated and slowed down (although this is all speculation as i do not know the design of the intake you're talking about) on a dyno you NEVER go on and off throttle, it just doesnt make sense and thats why you cant measure the actual response of the engine, the dyno you're using probably just simulates the load on the engine

the T1R intake chamber looks like it would create quite a bit of turbulence at WOT at high rpms and iirc the dyno graphs prove this

response wise the T1R would definetly be better, the whole air chamber's volume is within a less then a foot of the throttle body, in adition the air is moving slowly through the chamber which increases it's pressure reducing the suction loss effect (i dont know the actual name) whereas in a cold air intake the entire tube of air must move and thus would respond slower, i know this has all been said but i figure a rewording may make it easier to understand

since the fit's redline is relatively low (compared to the s2k anyways) the high rpm turblence which affected the s2k would not be apparent (or at the very least not as great) which overall makes the t1r the better choice
Yes, nice way to explain it.

Funny that this came up again -- the other day I was thumbing though an old issue of RevSpeed (JDM tuning mag) and they had an article for tuning beginners covering various things, chambers being one. Pretty much what you just said and I said earlier is what they said, having the pool of collected air immediately available, and at an apx. 1:1 ratio to engine displacement, increases response dramatically over just a standard tube & filter. They mentioned nothing about power -- chambers are a drivability mod ultimately, more power is just a bonus from having a less restricted design.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Any update on this intake?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Ive got mine on, dont know how to post pics. Fitment is great its a real bolt on.(not like previous cai Ive had) It even came with a heatshield that seperates the filter from the heat coming from the headlight. Dynoed it, added 5whp.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by jrovic
Ive got mine on, dont know how to post pics. Fitment is great its a real bolt on.(not like previous cai Ive had) It even came with a heatshield that seperates the filter from the heat coming from the headlight. Dynoed it, added 5whp.

Hey cool! im getting mine too soon! hehehe nice to know the power gains

Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
I'd go with J's racing/T1R intake myself on a small engine like Fit/SOHC or DOHC civic with B16A......

I tried AEM CAI, generic SRI, stock airbox w/K&N filter & j's racing sausage intake on my civic before. And I love the throttle response that the J's design SO much! SRI & CAI just gives a nice intake sound sometimes. But when I go autocross/track day it really shows the weak part of these CAI or whatever. I really hate to wait for response after a tight chicago box or cross-over.

Loss so much @ low-mid range but just gaining that difference w/CAI or SRI on a 1.5/1.6L motor is just not worth it, IMO anyway. I'd rather save that $ on tires, brake pads & seat time instead.

Last edited by spoonek4; 03-20-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
any update on this intake????

Quick Reply: New J's Racing chamber intake