Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AT Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
AT Transmission Cooler

Im about to install a transmission cooler on my AT Fit, anyone know which is the hot/cold sides when you are viewing it from the enginebay looking downward? On my other car, (Camry V6 S/C) The left hose was the hot and the right side was cold (return back to the tranny). It might be similar to the Fit, but was just wondering if anyone could confirm before I head over to the dealer and ask a mechanic or someone who has access to a shop manual. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
You can find out by disconnecting the one you think is the 'HOT' line and starting the engine...let it run for only about 15 seconds and shut'er down...check the line. If fluid is coming out the disconnected hose, you've got the hot...if fluid is coming out the radiator...you've got the return. Be sure to put a small catch pan below to keep things clean!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CASTRO
Im about to install a transmission cooler on my AT Fit, anyone know which is the hot/cold sides when you are viewing it from the enginebay looking downward? On my other car, (Camry V6 S/C) The left hose was the hot and the right side was cold (return back to the tranny). It might be similar to the Fit, but was just wondering if anyone could confirm before I head over to the dealer and ask a mechanic or someone who has access to a shop manual. Thanks!

Which AT cooler do you have? Where did you get it? I'm going to need one too.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
I currently purchased the same B&M Tranny cooler as the one currently installed on my Camry. I figured that if its good enough for a 280hp V6 s/c'd Camry, its good enough for a 1/3 the hp Fit. lol

I purchased the largest B&M tranny cooler kit at a local Kragen Auto Parts. I believe the same one can be found at Pepboys and similar auto parts centers. Its a complete kit with hoses, clamps, etc. It is a solid fin plate design and not like the Hayden "S" type that seems to be a bit weaker.

For only $45 bucks, you've got yourself a perfect upgrade to bulletproof the automatic transmission.

BTW: I routed my aftermarket cooler to go after the stock in-radiator-cooler as to have a double cooling effect. So in essence: Transmission->Stock-in radiator-cooler->Aftermarket cooler->back to transmission.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:00 AM
would love to see some pictures, do you have the part number of the tranny cooler handy?
Thanks!

Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Old 11-23-2006, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
i have the first B&M in the link spider posted above

Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
fan or no fan

i was interested in this one from the B&M link. Do i need a fan or is placement the key to cooling effectively?

Old 11-24-2006, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CASTRO
BTW: I routed my aftermarket cooler to go after the stock in-radiator-cooler as to have a double cooling effect. So in essence: Transmission->Stock-in radiator-cooler->Aftermarket cooler->back to transmission.
So are you saying the tranny cooler is actually cooling the radiator fluid twice or is tranny fluid passing thru the cooler Where did you install it in the engine bay? I have an appt on monday at my local auto shop for them to take a look but if this is an easy mod i'd rather do it myself. How bout a DIY with pics please

Old 11-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Actually, putting the cooler first in the air flow (most fwd postion) is the best way to 'double cool' the fluid...you can still re-route the fluid back to the stock cooler doing this, and get good results. Placing the cooler behind the radiator (& AC condensor) usually decreases it's efficiency.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
i ordered the one without the fan. dont think its necessary. give me till middle of next week for the DIY please.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spider2k
i ordered the one without the fan. dont think its necessary. give me till middle of next week for the DIY please.
Cool! Look forward to seeing it! Thanks

Old 11-25-2006, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
I have Hayden AT cooler in have installed it infront of my radiator, for more air flow from the front and also when the fan hits in it will suck hot air. Make sure you install it after the radiator lines not before otherwise it will heat up again.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:41 PM
this is something i wouldn't recommend this personally, since there is a reason why honda warranties teh auto trans to 100k miles, which is cause they really do suck, well altleast on the accord, oddy's, crv, and pilots, rarely do we see a civic, but putting something on like that would be enough for them to say no they won't warranty your trans when it does fail.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
where is this 100k warranty listed? in the owners manual? i only saw a 3/36 bumper-to-bumper and a 5/50 on powertrain.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
does the AT really need the cooler???

Old 11-26-2006, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
If you drive hard

Originally Posted by ap12na2
does the AT really need the cooler???

Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tomh
this is something i wouldn't recommend this personally, since there is a reason why honda warranties teh auto trans to 100k miles, which is cause they really do suck, well altleast on the accord, oddy's, crv, and pilots, rarely do we see a civic, but putting something on like that would be enough for them to say no they won't warranty your trans when it does fail.
Once I drop in the Jackson Racing Supercharger kit the warranty is pretty much void anyhow ---> I'm getting an AT cooler.

Still waiting to see actual install pics plus parts #'s!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
i gave you part numbers you can use ANY of the AT coolers in that link and not go wrong.

it'll be in tomorrow as we only get our parts next business day and i didn't order til' friday. i decided to go with the non-fan version as its significantly less expensive.

ill put in in monday or tuesday evening after work and post up the pics of the install.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by leonine
where is this 100k warranty listed? in the owners manual? i only saw a 3/36 bumper-to-bumper and a 5/50 on powertrain.
auto's and manuals have a 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty, however the power trane has a seperate warranty, auto's are 7/100k, and manuals are 6/60k.

Quick Reply: AT Transmission Cooler