Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

EGR mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
EGR mods

Hi,

Has anybody removed, modified or blocked off the EGR system on the GK5?
What was done?
What was the objective for the mod?
What was the result?

pls share. Thanks

Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Just an update : I disconnected the EGR connection and went for a 28km test drive.
the drive did not feel any different from the norm and no Check Engine Light.
i thought the self diagnosis would have caught the open circuit on the EGR and lit up the CEL......

Old 04-18-2019, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, surprised it did not throw a flag! If you remove the intake manifold you will see a shark fin sticking up right in the way of good air flow. It is hooded (like a Formula 1 intake plenum) and points toward the flow of air into the engine. This is where the exhaust gas is recirculated. I want to chop that thing off for better air flow. Further, I want to plug it up so it cannot flow hot air into the intake. I could cut it off easliy enough, but then the hot air would be blowing directly onto the plastic of the intake manifold, Maybe that is why they hooded it? I could (and plan to cover it up with a block off plate of sorts, but one must be careful since there is an intake gasket around it, and you can't raise it up with a 1mm or so plate because you will lift up the whole intake and it will not seal correctly. I am basically thinking of making a kind of beveled block off plate that I can weld or 2-part expoy into place to prevent the gas from entering the intake manifold. I should have this worked out in the next month or so. Cheers!