Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Front license plate drill holes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Unhappy Front license plate drill holes

Hey all,

just got my '09 Sports MT and absolutely love it... when I got home, I started right away taking the usual stuff off; delearship decals/stickers, fix the vibrating back license plate, remove front license plate.... wait a minute... there's a !#$%^(^ hole right in the middle of the bumper

I called dealership, wasn't too happy... it's not law in our province for front license plates to be there, but all dealerships usually put them, and I take them off everytime (this is my 5th new car) and I've never seen dealers being stupid like this...

Anyways, the whole conversation didn't go well, and they said it's been like that forever and they won't do anything about it.

So, after searching the web for fixes/"upgrades" and such, I didn't find anything really... also read all the posts about this subject on this forum, wish I would of known about this beforehand.

Anyone have "upgraded" plates that look good on a Fit? If it was a german or other european design car, choice would be easy in getting one of those long thing license plates to hide it all... would look pretty stupid on a Fit IMO (sorry to anyone sporting one :P )

Anyone have any ideas to hide it, put something else there?

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I have an 08 and mine has the same hole, I just bought a little painted black cap/clip that just pushed right into the hole. looks alot better than a plate right there.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know if you could use the license plate plugs that the s2000 uses.
Here's a link from a place that I used when I need stuff for my S

hardtopguy.com*::*S2000*::...

Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

yeah those plugs are actually a good idea... paint them to match the car

Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
+1 on Honda OEM bumper plugs. I went to the Honda Dealership to order one for my SSM. They're made for the S2000 so you have the tell the parts person the paint code for an S2K. To install you just cut off one of the stems on the plug.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 AM
on my 08 it had a hole from the bracket, I found the easiest way to fix it was to go to lunch and come out to find my front bumper messed up from a parking lot hit and run. Insurance fixed it, and I told the body shop no front plate

LOL not the way I was hoping it would work out but whatever, in the end it worked out.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dechy
Anyone have "upgraded" plates that look good on a Fit? If it was a german or other european design car, choice would be easy in getting one of those long thing license plates to hide it all... would look pretty stupid on a Fit IMO (sorry to anyone sporting one :P )

Anyone have any ideas to hide it, put something else there?

Thanks.
There are Japanese plate (on ebay) available that might make it "less stupid" on a Fit.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I was dismayed when I found the hole on my '07 Fit the day after I brought it home. I ordered a single 99-00 civic license plate hole plug (the same ones that came with my previous - also milano civic) and use that to cover the hole. I just cut out and sanded down one of the stems.
My dealership wasn't willing to listen to my complaints about drilling into my car either (and they did it after I purchased it). As long as you're not really close you can't notice it too much.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
how much would it cost to find one that's painted matching the car?
and where can i purchase it?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
After the first 6 months of the Fit's release there was a bulletin to techs to NOT drill the bumper and put the third screw under the bumper and through the bracket. I would not accept a screw hole in my car, because someone can't follow directions. If you have an 09 there should be no holes drilled in the bumper. Civics. not so lucky.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
I had my body shop fill in the hole and re paint it. Looks great.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
In MN it state law to have a front plate so when I made a fuss about it to the dealer they basically said "to bad, its the law". I have been to lazy to do any thing with the hole, and since my car is black its realy hard to see its even there.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stevens24
After the first 6 months of the Fit's release there was a bulletin to techs to NOT drill the bumper and put the third screw under the bumper and through the bracket. I would not accept a screw hole in my car, because someone can't follow directions. If you have an 09 there should be no holes drilled in the bumper. Civics. not so lucky.
You wouldn't by chance have any documentation of this letter or a link to it or a contact at Honda that could verify this would you? Because if you can I would love to have it so I can take it to the dealership when I get my new ratcheting plate bracket.