Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Q on reapplying Mugen visors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Q on reapplying Mugen visors

I just took all 4 of them off and cleaned the area with goo-gone and wax.

Now, most of the tape is still on the visors. Like 95% of it. Problem is it is not very sticky anymore. How do I get all the tape off, because goo-gone will not do it when there's that much tape (thick) left on it. Should I scrape it with my nail/finger as best as possible? Also, I bought Scotch 3M mounting tape, but it's 1" wide. The Mugen tape looks about 3/4" wide. Do I cut it to the same width?

I have nothing but time, it doesn't have to get done today. I just want to know thanks you guys!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Formerly "bitoy"
5 Year Member
hair dryer will help loosen up the glue and just scrape it with your finger nail or knife cutter will do better just be careful not to scracth the visor. yeah I think it's better to cut the tape to the right size as the visor so it would look clean.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 AM
I used a knife to carefully shave it off after I let goo-gone soak in for a bit and then picked the residue off. It's not as easy as it sounds though and it took me quite a long time just for one. Just be careful not to scratch the visor surface.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:53 AM
thanks guys! I'll squirt goo-gone all over the tape, leave it alone for a while and try to shave some thickness off with my knife afterwards. Then I'll cut pieces of tape and apply. I might get lazy and do that part tomorrow right before mounting them lol

Thanks for your help guys

Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
just let it soak in the goo gone for a while n then try to scrape off carefully.. and if u use the hair dryer dont let it bend the plastic

Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
So I let it soak for about an hour and then peeled it all off mostly with my nails...took about an hour or so for all 4. I started putting tape on and I did one of the rear visors so far. Problem is the new tape is so wide, I have to use an exacto-knife to trim the top of the visor (like an extra 1/4"!) and it's going to look a little bit ghetto when I'm all done but hopefully with all this trouble I'm going through, when it's back on the car it will be right where I wanted it to be from the get-go, 1mm below the top of the door, not 1/4" here and 1/2" there etc it looked so messed up. I wanna make it sit perfect dammit.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 AM
great things take time and patience... theres no one better to do it than yourself

Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I am an idiot. I spent most of yesterday and about a half hour today reapplying mounting tape, and I put the rear right piece on.......and on a black car, the white tape is just way too obvious. I need to re-do it all AGAIN. Anyone know where I can get the same tape that CAME with the visors? My car is black on black, I can't have white tape behind the visors...

Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I am an idiot. I spent most of yesterday and about a half hour today reapplying mounting tape, and I put the rear right piece on.......and on a black car, the white tape is just way too obvious. I need to re-do it all AGAIN. Anyone know where I can get the same tape that CAME with the visors? My car is black on black, I can't have white tape behind the visors...
Go to your local hardware store and pickup a roll of 3M EXTERIOR MOUNTING TAPE. The package looks like this:

This is the OEM tape that comes with the mugen visors. It's gray just like the mugen visors so it won't show up under the plastic visor.

A roll costs something like $5 and it's extremely strong. Make sure you clean all parts with good isopropyl alcohol to remove any fingerprints or whatever.

The original mugen visors comes with a adhesion promoter pad that helps double sided tape stick to plastics. It looks like this:

and can be bought here:

Amazon.com: Adhesion Promoter Pad: Automotive

This is an OPTIONAL thing to use, but it's highly recommended to make sure the double sided tape sticks and stays stuck. What it does is it makes the 3m stick stronger to plastics. Don't worry about getting it on other parts of the trim, it washes away after a couple days.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
thanks yo!! Does that tape need to be cut to exact width or does it come the right size? The white mounting tape I bought was like $6 and tooooo wide. Waste of $6 but oh well, I'll get that one of these days. +rep!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Just curious or did I miss it - did you just take them off to clean and wax them? I have had mine on since summer 2007 and they still look great and haven't had any issues with them. You know us girls always asking questions.....

Cat :x

Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
I took them off because for months I was self-conscious about them. It's supposed to be 1mm under the top of the door all the way around. Mine were WAY more than that, like 1/2" in some parts....it looked retarded. I took them down. Now all the tape is off but there's still some weird shit that just will not come off no matter how much goo-gone and cloth-scrubbing I do. Also I had trouble mounting them the first time which is why they looked like ass to begin with. I'm scared it will happen again. Masking tape doesn't hold well enough to the tape once the clips are in. I need a better way to mount them. If I mess up again, I will cry.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sorry you have had so much trouble. I had mine put on by a local auto mod shop. They did not charge that much and had no trouble mounting them even with only Japanese instructions. Just hang in there and if you get too overwhelmed step away from the project, rest and give yourself time to tackle it another day.

Cat :x

Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't want a shop to do it and me look at it and not like it...I jus wanna see a video on how to do it. Collegehillshonda only has the other visor guide, the one without clips. Doesn't really help at all. Eh, we'll see what happens the day after tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I dunno if there's much difference between exterior tape and molding tape but I used the latter and it worked fine for me.

As for installing it the key is only peeling about 2 inches of the tape backing off and folding it outwards so you have a makeshift tab. The exposed part of the tape will be enough for you to position the visor where you want them but not enough to permanently stick them on. When you're happy where they are at just pull off the rest of the tape backing with the tabs while pressing down on it as you go.

Last edited by moegenki; 12-29-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 PM
the tape looks white to me ^ wouldn't go well with NHBP.

Another q, on the front visors, it's kinda hard to have one strand of tape go along the whole top side. Did you cut like 5 chunks to make it work, or somehow get one strand of tape to cover the entire topside of the front visors?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
use the tape as already mentioned to reapply...but make sure to remove ALL the original tape or else it wont stick correctly.
use your thumb while the visor is dry, rub it firmly...the tape should slowly come off in chunks. it takes time and is a bitch. use goo gone once its just residue.

this project took me about 2 hours....give yourself time. its not as quick as it seems.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
The goo gone doesn't get the residue off the visors. I tried 3 times, letting them sit for 30 minutes to an hour each time. It's like permanent residue lol. With the gray backing though it won't be obvious unless you put your eyes 2" from the visors.

The last question remains about getting one strand of tape to cover the entire top section of the loooooong front visors that kinda slope in a semicircle of sorts. The back ones are easy to put one piece of tape across.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Damn dude you are still on this? lmao i think the time you spent making this you could have worked it off and bought new ones...lol

Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
yeah well I'm pretty retarded and I am stuck on the ship for 24 hours straight every 3 days so I don't have lots of time ;/