Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Honda OEM locking gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda OEM locking gas cap

I saw some people commenting here that they could not get a Honda OEM locking gas cap.
I bought my FIT on June 29th, 2010 at Marin Honda in Corte Madera, CA, and one of the
first things I went back for a few days later was the Parts Dept for a locking gas cap...

Dave brought up the following, for $42 and change OTD:

Like an idiot, I forgot to take pics of the Locking gas cap "Kit"
I say "Kit" because it comes in three parts.
1. the Cap
2. the Lock/Tumbler
3. a set of 2 Keys about the same size as a FIT Ignition key

NOTE: you CANNOT re-key the Lock/Tumbler once it is inserted into the Cap.
This is VERY IMPORTANT if you wish to re-key your Lock/Tumbler to your FIT Ignition key.

In SF, you can take your Tumbler to CROWN Locksmith and get it re-keyed to your FIT Ignition key for $20.00.
Talk to Jesus.
He was extremely helpful and nice.

Now that you have your locking gas cap, keyed to your FIT key
or have chose to just use the keys that came with the Gas Cap,
insert the Lock/Tumbler into the CAP!

The 2010 Sport standard non-locking gas cap with Tether that needs to be removed:

Underneath the Tether attachment you'll see:

1. push the TAB upwards...
2. slide the 2 split TAB's up and out of the Door.

Why you can't (easily) use the phreaking Tether from the non-locking on the locking :
[notice the obvious size difference]

Pop the new locking gas cap on your FIT ! :

Hope this helps folks out!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM
subscribed

Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM
nice work. im going to need to add this to my mod list

Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Nice, any way to retain the tether?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 PM
still working on that cgpEJ6
bugs the crap out of me that the Tether isn't an easy swap!
why the caps are two different sizes is beyond me.

will let you know if & when I have an updated status...

Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Just got a new Fit, and this was the first Mod I did, thanks mapkook.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mapkook
still working on that cgpEJ6
bugs the crap out of me that the Tether isn't an easy swap!
why the caps are two different sizes is beyond me.
Perhaps because the locking cap isn't made for a Fit?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
IMO, this is one of the few areas Honda really cut corners and dropped the ball. In this day and age I think you either have a releasing and locking gas hatch that you can operate from within the car OR at least you have a locking gas cap as standard. But to sell The Fit with neither and then offer no specific replacement especially made for The Fit is poor form.

I'd suspect the part being used is a Honda Locking gas cap, but not one specifically designed for The Fit. If it works? It works.

It seems a lot larger in the photo's, how about the inside the hinge bracket for holding the cap? Does it still hold this gas cap?

I'm on the fence about pursuing this, I don't like NOT having a locking gas cap, or a cover that locks and releases, but am not thrilled about the idea of a gas cap that may or may not fit perfectly AND one inwhich in Oregon....we do not have self-serve..a locking gas cap means having to hand your keys to an attendant every time you get gas.

Having spent 3 years in parochial schools, I found this more amusing than I should....

"Talk to Jesus.
He was extremely helpful and nice."

I just wish Honda would of upscaled The Fit to have a cover that locked and released from inside the car. Once in production? How much would this of added to the cost of the vehicle? Whatever it was? I would of gladly paid it.

Last edited by fitchet; 08-11-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Fitchet I agree with you, and was shocked that Honda would build a car with a gas cover that doesn't lock and release. I too live in a state NJ that doesn't allow self serve, so every time I fill up I will hand the attendant my gas key which I plan on keeping out of sight in my glove box, and center console.
Selden good observation, we need to look into the Element tether.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Update DCH Kay Honda in NJ says the 04-06 Element Gascap did not have a tether, they didn't start to get tethers until 07 and they are molded to the cap.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 AM
You guys are expecting the Fit to be something other than what it is. It's the cheapest automobile made by Honda. How do you suppose it got that way? By taking short cuts on things like carpeting material, upholstery, accessories (internal opening gas caps, thermostatic controlled heat and a/c, automatic off lights, etc. etc. etc.) You bought a duck not a swan.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
You guys are expecting the Fit to be something other than what it is. It's the cheapest automobile made by Honda. How do you suppose it got that way? By taking short cuts on things like carpeting material, upholstery, accessories (internal opening gas caps, thermostatic controlled heat and a/c, automatic off lights, etc. etc. etc.) You bought a duck not a swan.

At least it was not the ugly ducking.

Tethers. What a frigging pain in the ass. I would say 9 out of ten times I knock the cap off the door with filler hose causing the cap to hit side of car.

Living in the Great White North I am not all that happy with the door release either. I can see one day in Jan freezing my ass off and empty tank trying to get the door open.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
yea pretty sure thats the one for the element 42 bucks thoe im not sure havent had anyone try to siphon my gas yet

Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
By any chance has anyone here from San Jose had their tumbler re-keyed by a locksmith?

I've already been to 3 locksmiths, including the one that South Bay Honda dealership sends their re-keys to, with no luck.

Thanks for any tips. SF is a bit far to drive just to see Jesus

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I too am looking for a locksmith in San Jose. I may just end up heading to SF for this because I got my gas siphoned this past weekend ...

Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by chshrkt
I too am looking for a locksmith in San Jose. I may just end up heading to SF for this because I got my gas siphoned this past weekend ...
Holy sh*t! No way, sorry to hear that.
Where did this happen?????

Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Here in NJ where you can't pump your own that locking cap would become a pain trying to explain to the attendant in his native language what he needs to do.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Elephantman
Here in NJ where you can't pump your own that locking cap would become a pain trying to explain to the attendant in his native language what he needs to do.
I never understood why you couldn't pump your own gas in NJ. My parents used to live in NJ. When lived in Maryland in the 1980's, I used to visit them--when I stopped for gas I would get out of my car and get the hose to pump my own and the attendant would come.
Sometimes they are so darned slow-- it is so inefficient to wait for an attendant to pump your gas.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Hey, MAPKOOK, I bought the gas cap you suggested.
It works great. No problems whatsoever. It is bigger than stock, but who cares? (Not me)
I hate cap tethers so that wasn’t even an issue. Good riddance as far as I’m concerned.

I had the tumbler re-keyed to my ignition key, so that will make things easier.

Great post, and a very helpful answer to those who want a locking cap for their Fit.

Quick Reply: Honda OEM locking gas cap