Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Body kit way too low...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Body kit way too low...

Hey, I have put on a new body kit on my car earlier this summer, and it's been great, except for the fact that since I have also installed T1R lowering springs beforehand, my car is so low in the front that it's been quickly destroyed by the wonderful construction of Calgary. Now, I have a couple of things I could use some input on. First that I'm thinking is that if I get a larger wheel size to fill the wheel well more, I may have more clearance, perhaps enough to get by. I'm also thinking I shouldn't have put in those springs, but at the same time, the performance gain was simply too great to just bank them out over the style of the car. Which leads me to me third thought... what could I get for bumpers/lips that would be higher? The rear never has a problem unless I decide to back into a tall curb. Sides just don't like many speed bumps, but that doesn't happen enough to bother me. I can easily steer around them. It's mainly the front... But changing to higher front will make the sides need to be higher too to look decent. So any suggestions on any of this?! I'm a tad frustrated with it all at the moment.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, no help here. Just being up front. But I do find your post/predicament quite entertaining and leaves me a bit confused at the same time.

First you put a body kit on, then add lowering springs because "the performance gain was simply too great just to bank them out". So I'm thinking the body kit was also related to aerodynamics which equates to your logic of performance gain.

Now you're trying to figure out how to get more clearance on a lowered car with a body kit because it scrapes. Then you're thinking of larger wheels (heavier) which will have to be with bigger tires (heavier) which cancels out your intent (perceived performance gains) in the first place... Then you're back to where you were, a few $$ out, but perhaps look half decent than the stocks. Just some thoughts...

Lowered cars look great on static displays at car shows, photo shoots and running tracks, none of which have speed bumps, construction sites or driveway inclines. I love looking at them all day long. Just my thoughts...

Last edited by Subie; 09-11-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Actually the springs were on first, and the aerodynamics aren't significant. Not much can be done aside from functional front spoilers. I asked if there were any ideas in terms of higher bumpers... not all have to be this low. And not necessarily all rims and tires are heavier either. And the springs still handle significantly better. I understand you're just thinking out loud, but I don't want people just disregarding this thread because of what you thought.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
No. The springs did not improve the handling. Not at all. Lowering springs do not do that. That is a fact.

And how to raise the bumper height: Get rid of the ugly body kit.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I'm glad my personal experience means nothing.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Your butt dyno means NOTHING to actual FACTS.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM
I vote get rid of the body kit as well. Stay with OEM bumpers and lips.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
when you say "destroyed" do you mean actually broken into tiny little pieces to the point you cant even fix it with color full zip ties or are we talking your just scrapping the under side of the bumper?

Big wheel will give you some clearance but not enough to make a difference. your only option is going to be go back to the OEM bumper.

My car is lowered on coilovers and has the sport lip, yes I scrap but its a fact of life when driving a lowered car and just scrapping up the bottom of the lip is no big deal. Its something you just have to live with and learn the road you can and cant drive on.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Hey Mikey's just an .... (fill in the blank)

Originally Posted by UmmFit
Thanks. I'm glad my personal experience means nothing.
Evedently raise with out manners taught to him as a youngster. Just the way he is, aka: Mr. Know It All. He is knowledgeable but w/o social graces.
Anyway there are these aluminum wing lets that one of the FF's makes and sell. These take most of the punishment instead of the body kit. I think it's RocksaGD that sells them, Bthasht has a set and he's very lo.

Long time since I've heard from you getting ready for the snows yet??
I'd like to see the body kit post some pix please!! Also check your tire pressure low tires will drop the car further into the pot holes of Calviry.
Mike

Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
i slammed my fit to get the most handling out of it

Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
lolololtwin

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
In the interest of satisfying my curiosity.. OP, do you have pictures you can put up?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UmmFit
I understand you're just thinking out loud, but I don't want people just disregarding this thread because of what you thought.
Sorry, UmmFit. Just seemed like watching an old black and white silent movie in high speed ala Laurel and Hardy. I hope you find the right compromise to address your issue.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Subie, I do hope to find something soon. The aluminium bottom sounds brilliant to me... don't know why that didn't come to mind. I may see if someone I know could make one up.

SSMTEN, umm... I'm not sure are you asking me? Haha. I'm not sure what OP means. But no, I don't yet. I will try to patch up some things and post a couple.

MNFit... well it's not a thousand pieces, but at one point it got almost literally pushed upwards to violently from a milling step up that was like a curb... I was not impressed with the lack of signage for a construction zone. (it's normally quite marked in Calgary) Scraping I didn't mind, but now some things are so damaged that it's actually a bit lower than before since the structural integrity is gone, as well as the fact that the side connectors to the body are dismantled and have to be reconstructed... again... Otherwise they keep popping out and scrape the sides of my car. Most awful sound.

Mike, you're awesome. I am preparing to prepare for winter, haha! Winters and stock bumpers to be had within a couple months. My tire pressures are spot on, but since they are radials, they like to sag a bit at low speed as well. You haven't heard from me because I'll be jumping back into school very shortly, and I really can't afford to do anything anymore, haha!

Anyhow, thanks guys. Keep me posted on anymore useful ideas.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Finally got some photos... Yeah it's dirty, good ol' country side!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
oh dear god....

Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Ummfit, do you keep a fire-extinguisher handy?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by SSMTEN
Ummfit, do you keep a fire-extinguisher handy?

LMFAO on that one there. +1 for you.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
oh..... um ok

Old 09-16-2011, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Haha! Yeah....

Quick Reply: Body kit way too low...