Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

I had an aftermarket moonroof installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by bschurma
I would like to put a ragtop in my fit. Anyone know of any aftermarket ragtop brands that are good?
ditto on the ragtop.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Check over at scionlife.com, I know a handful of folks have ragtops in their xBs.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Ah, the folding cloth roof, common in Europe, the Renault R5/LeCar and Fuego were the last bound to the US cars to see these. Citroen 2CV had them to the end in 1989. VW beetle had them before steel roofs. I have seen some Studebaker Lark Daytonas with them, not sure if this was factory Stude or aftermarket Webasto or the like.

Fast-forward: Dodge Neons (when former Renault executive Francois Castaing was VP of Chrysler). I spotted one on a pre-production Neon with a bike rack at one of the first auto shows when the Neon was first announced. I asked about the roof, the rep told me that I was not supposed to notice it and that the bike rack was there to obscure it. Honestly, if this were an option on the Neon, I think it would have done well.

The big problem with these is wind noise, leaks (once they get old and shrink a bit) and anyone can get into your car in a matter of seconds via a knife. Trust me, a friend with a Citroen 2CV6 found this out the hard way when he parked in a bad neighborhood in Columbus, OH. Some crackhead got his mono Blaupunkt AM-Shortwave radio....what is the street value of that?

Last edited by Spule 4; 08-05-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:50 PM
in for the pics...

Old 08-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spule 4

Fast-forward: Dodge Neons (when former Renault executive Francois Castaing was VP of Chrysler). I spotted one on a pre-production Neon with a bike rack at one of the first auto shows when the Neon was first announced. I asked about the roof, the rep told me that I was not supposed to notice it and that the bike rack was there to obscure it. Honestly, if this were an option on the Neon, I think it would have done well.

Some how i doubt that a folding roof would have made the neon any less a shitty car. The only thing that can save the neon from this is several large caliber rifles.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ricepuddin
Some how i doubt that a folding roof would have made the neon any less a shitty car. The only thing that can save the neon from this is several large caliber rifles.
Agreed, but it would have been a popular option. You could pop the roof open while you waited for the breakdown truck when head gasket #2 went (still under warranty of course). Also, it would have been less paint to flake off the roof!

This option would be the tits for the PT, but with the Cabrio, why bother I guess?

Old 08-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Agreed, but it would have been a popular option. You could pop the roof open while you waited for the breakdown truck when head gasket #2 went (still under warranty of course). Also, it would have been less paint to flake off the roof!

This option would be the tits for the PT, but with the Cabrio, why bother I guess?
I lol'ed at this. Thanks man i need a laugh.

I agree, thought it would be a nice to have.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:05 AM
lol i had a neon though with an eclipse engine in it so no head gasket probs but a moon roof wuda been nice maybe..............

Old 08-06-2006, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
I lol'ed at this. Thanks man i need a laugh.

I agree, thought it would be a nice to have.
You may laugh....but "Ask the man that owns one" and see how much laughter you get. The above reference is based on tales from a friend of mine.

Honestly, I was hot for a Neon when they first came out, having driven a Horizon/Omni prior owned by my father. Instead I got a used Volvo 240 wagon, it was my third or fourth Volvo.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Holy mother of god I want one...

Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
You may laugh....but "Ask the man that owns one" and see how much laughter you get. The above reference is based on tales from a friend of mine.

Honestly, I was hot for a Neon when they first came out, having driven a Horizon/Omni prior owned by my father. Instead I got a used Volvo 240 wagon, it was my third or fourth Volvo.
Been there. I bought a Chevy Blazer for school becasue it was up north. And i was on the side of the road all the time.

:Thumbs Up: to the Volvo.

Turbo Omnis are Sleepers so id drive one. You can put a 4G63 in it.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member

Been there. I bought a Chevy Blazer for school becasue it was up north. And i was on the side of the road all the time.

Turbo Omnis are Sleepers so id drive one. You can put a 4G63 in it.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by doogiefish
Dude! Preludes had "MOON ROOFS",
Depends on the year.

Those pictures on Filckr are DAMN SWEET!!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Depends on the year.

Those pictures on Filckr are DAMN SWEET!!
Mine was one for each year. 88-91

Old 08-12-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member

Forget the Blazer, along with snow, Volvos are (were?) formidable off road cars. I have taken assorted wagons and sedans on roads and trails that most SUV drivers will never grace.

The best, many, many years ago in my first Volvo, a 144S, were the Jeep trails in Wayne National Forrest in Ohio. If memory serves, to use the trails, you had to have a radio, winch and I think maybe be 4x4, but we had none of the above. We did have a set of four Nokia 09 snow tires on the car tho. The only damage to the car was my passenger ripped the armrest off the door when I scared the <bleep> out of him when we bottomed out in a rather deep and muddy creek at speed.