1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Aftermarket Sunroof Unanswered Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Aftermarket Sunroof Unanswered Questions

I know there are other threads about this, and I've read them all up and down a trillion times. I still haven't found the answers I'm looking for. I've been thinking about slapping a Webasto 700 series aftermarket sunroof in my '07 Fit but I am growing increasingly nervous about it.

The shop I found is reputable and is listed on the Webasto website as a dealer/installer. But I need more info before I proceed.

How much does it affect handling with the added weight to the roof? Most of the people that have aftermarket sunroofs installed rave about them in forums about a month after they were installed. That's fine, but what about 2 - 3 years down the road? Has anyone out there possessed an aftermarket sunroof in their Fit for over 2 years?

Also, the Fit has such tight handling and it is such a bumpy ride, I'd be inclined to think that an aftermarket sunroof would develop some serious rattles after a couple years.

Feedback, anyone?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
I would like a full length fabric sun roof..... That would keep the weight down but I'm not sure about much effect it would have on body stiffness and integrity...... My next choice would be a roof mounted rally scoop with direction adjustable vents.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
The weight of the roof should have a negliable effect on handling and dynamics, and i imagine that Webasto has the weight listed on their website somewhere. Stiffness is again a non-issue, the Fit platform is so stiff it is used in time attack without most of the gusseting and seam welding that other cars require. As for rattles, I would address that concern to the installer. Do they offer a warranty? What does it cover? Does Webasto offer a warranty? What do they cover? I personally think that as long as you stay away from the off-brand thin piece of glass that tilts open type of sunroof installed by your cousin Rodney you should be fine....

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Webasto offers a 3 year warranty, parts, no labor. I haven't found a shop in Oklahoma that will offer a lifetime warranty themselves. I am going to be in Dallas and Los Angeles soon, so I hope I can find something there. If anyone knows of a reputable shop in Dallas or LA, please let me know.

It's good to know handling won't be a problem. I can cross that off my list.

And I'm more concerned with rattles, squeaks, and annoying sounds than I am leaking. The Webasto roof seems to be pretty well made concerning leaks. However, due to the bumpy nature of the Fit, I have a feeling any sunroof in that car is going to make some noises after a year or two.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
subscribed great thread!
but im sure that if they install the sunroof they will add some support beams around it. i could be wrong.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I have 2008 and purchased it in December with a Webasto Sunroof ALREADY installed on the car.

The previous owner installed it in Nebraska and it some how made its way to Carson Honda in So. Cali where I purchased it.

Within a month of purchasing it, So Cali was hit was some heavy (in our opinion) rainstorms and I noticed my floors wet. I took it into Honda and they said it was the drainage system from the sunroof.

I immediately called up Webasto and found a shop by my work. It was the actual shop and not just a dealer or installer. They took a look and agreed it was the install and not me. Only thing is, the warranty is not transferable. Since I bought it and I wasn't the original purchaser of the sunroof, the warranty was not valid. But, the people at Webasto were very understanding and fixed it for FREE!!

I have enjoyed having it and its a fun perk! I've yet to hear any rattling but my bf is 6'4 and says he feels a draft on his head but thats about it.

Im a complete newbie and still learning lots about this car, but in my opinion get it! From calling Webasto and talking with their techs they are a solid good company and willing to make things right if anything happens!

Good Luck!

Last edited by HanhALuLu; 05-12-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo :)
Old 05-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by HanhALuLu
...the people at Webasto were very understanding and fixed it for FREE!!
What do you mean the people at Webasto? I thought Webasto was just a manufacturer. Do you mean a Webasto authorized installation shop?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM
WEBASTO DEALER SERVICE WEST
9740 Alburtis Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Phone: + 1 562 222 1077
Fax: + 1 562 222 1057

I went here. I found them on the webasto website using their store locator. Like I said, it just so happened that they were RIGHT next to my work. Their shop sign said "WEBASTO"

Old 05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
What did they have to fix on the roof? Were the drains just clogged?

And when you drive on a rough highway with a lot of seams in the pavement, do you hear rattles and knocks in the roof at all?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
They said that the drains are suppose to be lying on some sort of track system. When the original installer put it in, they didn't put them in correctly. Ultimately water filled up and dumped straight into my car instead of outside. So all they didn't really have to do anything but move them into the correct track so the water flowed out and down away from my car. I think they did the job for free because it didn't take much time and didn't cost them any material. It also helped that I'm a girl and I'm an underpaid teacher in the area.

I never hear any sort of rattling or knocking but then again, I've never really been on a rough highway. I have no problems with it other than that drain thing. Its been installed since Dec 2008 and it's holding up just fine.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 AM
I've had mine for about a year and a half with no issues. It looks / sounds / acts like the day I got it. Keep in mind that Wabasto sunroofs are OEM on many manufacturers. I got the 700 installed on my girls xD at the same time as mine and she's had no problems either.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Subscribed.
Great info.

A clogged sunroof can happen to anyone. My friends 3 year old BMW 3 series recently leaked all over the interior b/c of clogged drains.

Great info, hanhalulu!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
I have had a sunroof on my Subaru and that is something I will truly miss on the Honda Fit. I asked my dealer and he said they could get one installed, but I am not sure about the quality. I checked the Webasto site and there is no authorized installer in town, so I am a bit leery.

Approx how much to install a Webasto one? I could get one in Denver.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 PM
My Wabasto 312 was around $500 parts, $500 labor