Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Black housing head lights. GD3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Black housing head lights. GD3

I have a silver 07 Fit and I am thinking about black housing head lights to add some contrast to my silver Fit. Will eventually put HIDs with a sport bumper and yellow fogs. I know some people have issues cracking open the head light to paint and then resealing it so it does not leak. That why I'm thinking about buying a pair of OEM headlights for a black Fit which are black housed. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but if I can get them for like $200 I would be happy.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Check out ebay for aftermarket headlights with black housings and you can be satisfied with OEM lighting... If you want HID lighting you are going to need to remove the lens to do it anyway so you might want to save your money and do that.. I lucked out and jumped on what you are wanting that was being sold by a FitFreak member..

Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm. Thanks for the input. Buying aftermarket, not sure if I want to go that route. I've been reading up on doing it yourself. Seems pretty easy sealing the lights. Just need to let it sit for a whole 24 hours before installing so the sealer can dry. Looks like this may be a weekend job for me sometime. Only cost me $30 if done properly. Anyone have any luck doing it themselves?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Ive done it before on an 01 Civic.

I started to do it and then got a call about something else and had to leave. So I just hurried up, did it and sealed them and threw them back on. The heat from the bulb sealed them up well enough I never had a leak for 2 years. Then the car met the wrong end of a plow truck.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
I've heard of people sticking the light in the oven to seal it afterwards. Is this necessary? I want to do this proper and not create any issues with my Fit.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Banned
Depends on the type of adhesive you use. Most over the counter adhesives do NOT need to be baked to rid themselves of solvent. Read the tube but I'm pretty sure air drying for the specified amount of time will work best.

And I would left the light bulb out while drying or any other opening so the solvents have some place to escape rather than cloud your lens.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
Depends on the type of adhesive you use. Most over the counter adhesives do NOT need to be baked to rid themselves of solvent. Read the tube but I'm pretty sure air drying for the specified amount of time will work best.

And I would left the light bulb out while drying or any other opening so the solvents have some place to escape rather than cloud your lens.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I really did not want to put my lights in my oven haha.

I will most likely let the lights sit for 24 hours off the car so they can seal up. Once sealed ill install back on the car and put the bulbs in. Putting bulbs in will be the last thing to do minus bolting in the lights. If I do it this way, hopefully no issues arise.