Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Recommendations for motorcycle trailer hitch for 2012 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Recommendations for motorcycle trailer hitch for 2012 Fit Sport

Hello All!

This is my first post, so go easy on me.

I am looking for guidance on adding a trailer hitch to my 2012 Fit Sport for the purposes of towing my Yamaha FZ6R motorcycle (roughly 460lbs). I'm looking for answers to the following:

1.) Are there any hitches you would recommend?
2.) Can they be installed at home, or does a mechanic need to do it?
3.) If by a mechanic, can any mechanic do it, or would it be better to take it to a Honda dealership and get it done there?
4.) Is there anything I should be aware of that changes in driving/handling once a hitch is installed?
5.) When a motorcycle is attached to it?
6.) Is there a motorcycle trailer you would recommend?

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 PM
1. There's basically two hitches available, one sold by Curt, and one sold by Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch (both sell the same design). Either one should be perfectly OK for your needs. The Curt one requires drilling a hole during installation, while the other one doesn't need any drilling, but to my eye looks a bit less sturdy. I wouldn't hesitate to trust either one for usage as designed, though.

2. If you're reasonably handy, you should be able to install either one at home. A helper would probably make things a fair bit easier.

3. If you have a mechanic do it, any mechanic should be fine. I'd probably stay away from the dealer in this case, in case you have some warranty work needed. They shouldn't deny warranty work because a trailer hitch is installed (assuming, of course, that the claim isn't a result of damage due to towing—which isn't covered by the warranty), but some dealers can be scummy.

4. There shouldn't be any real changes to driving with the hitch but not trailer. Ground clearance may be marginally reduced in the back—not usually a concern, since the front almost always scrapes first anyhow.

5. With a trailer, you have the usual changes due to towing: reduced performance (acceleration and braking), reduced cargo carrying capacity in the car, the need for extra space when maneuvering, and of course the joys of backing a trailer. In general, be extra cautious when towing and use engine braking when descending significant hills to keep from overheating the car brakes.

Honda doesn't recommend or authorize towing with the Fit (although the same car in other markets does allow for it). The owners manual cautions that towing may void the warranty. That's basically a bluff, as US law doesn't allow a warranty to be rescinded because of the use of aftermarket parts unless it can be reasonably shown that the aftermarket parts caused the problem. In other words, Honda could reasonably deny coverage of broken rear suspension components, particularly if it seems they were broken by overloading, but they can't deny coverage of e.g. a power window motor. That's the law, at least; it doesn't mean that some dealers might not give a run-around regardless, as some do without the hitch, even.

6. No ideas, other than suggesting that you try to keep the trailer reasonably lightweight and make sure it balances properly with 10-12% of the weight on the tongue with the motorcycle loaded.

There are a number of threads about towing and trailers and hitches on this forum if you search. Many have good advice and information, and a few show things that frankly frighten me a little (such as hitch mounted cargo racks or rather substantial overloading).

Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Just to add what DrewE said; All three hitches will work on the Fit the etrailer website is full of useful information and also has actual installation videos. The only consideration, if you plan on aftermarket exhaust, such as the Tanabe, then the Curt hitch is the only one that will fit without interference.

Last edited by Rampo; 11-12-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added url
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I've always loved the idea of an easy to store trailer

like this one... Port-A-Chopper Motorcycle Transport Trailer

Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Wait for BadWrench to chime in, he's an expert on this. Talked to him at the meet that just passed.