Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

GD Sideskirt Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
GD Sideskirt Mounting

I've been looking to reuse my GD sideskirt that got ripped off by the curb, the only broken part of the skirt is the back brackets that hold the clips.
Name:  006.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  62.4 KB

^ that piece.

I've got 3 out of I believe 8(?) haven't looked at the skirt in a while. I was wondering if it would just hold with the bottom black mount things,
Name:  004.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  77.1 KB

I haven't seen the skirt in a while so I don't know its condition, it's somewhere in the garage.

My question is will it hold with just the bottom black brackets? Without looking too funky and out of place?

I'm sure you guys with the body kits know.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
There are several clips that side into the side skirt which allow you to clip the skirt into the chassis of the vehicle. Those riveted plastic brackets in the side skirt itself just uses the black plastic push clip to clip under the car.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, but the problem is 5 out of 8 brackets that hold the clips against the body of the car are broken. However all the brackets on the bottom are intact.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I am looking at putting side skirts on a base model and am only using the ones underneath, in the wheel well and double sided tape. I am 99% sure this will line up. Interesting fact is that i have to drill 4 10mm holes under the car for the bottom expanding clips to go into as the base does not have them under the car. ( I looked)
I am also going to go forward with a rep Mugen Bumper and remove my fresh real lip.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lance
I am looking at putting side skirts on a base model and am only using the ones underneath, in the wheel well and double sided tape. I am 99% sure this will line up. Interesting fact is that i have to drill 4 10mm holes under the car for the bottom expanding clips to go into as the base does not have them under the car. ( I looked)
I am also going to go forward with a rep Mugen Bumper and remove my fresh real lip.
I wouldn't mind using double sided tape either, but where exactly would you apply the tape? The side skirt has little contact with the body of the car, except via the clips.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Yeah, but the problem is 5 out of 8 brackets that hold the clips against the body of the car are broken. However all the brackets on the bottom are intact.
You should be able to remove and replace those clips as well. They should come out by grabbing them and rotating them about 45 degrees either left or right (its not specific). Transfer all your new/good clips onto the side skirt, pop it on, and call it a day.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
My side skirt area on the car being base has no plug holes drilled for the clips. It would be a matter of putting tape on the edge very close to the top and on the plug clips on the skirt. I am hoping its enough because drilling 8 hole plugs is not happening. Hard to find oem skirts body colored to match. I am so close to my base to sport conversion after all these years. It paid off because of its cleanness to now swap lips and skirts all day

Last edited by Lance; 07-12-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
You should be able to remove and replace those clips as well. They should come out by grabbing them and rotating them about 45 degrees either left or right (its not specific). Transfer all your new/good clips onto the side skirt, pop it on, and call it a day.
I have the clips for the 3 brackets that remain. I'll see if it holds with just three.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lance
My side skirt area on the car being base has no plug holes drilled for the clips. It would be a matter of putting tape on the edge very close to the top and on the plug clips on the skirt. I am hoping its enough because drilling 8 hole plugs is not happening. Hard to find oem skirts body colored to match. I am so close to my base to sport conversion after all these years. It paid off because of its cleanness to now swap lips and skirts all day
The lips need mounting holes as well.

ikonmotorsports - FIT - HONDA - MAKES - Parts & Accessories <--- I was wondering if skirts like these would have a good fitment, in case my broken skirt doesn't properly mount. Also I need a rear lip since I'm missing that too. I'd replace the front lip too since it's banged up.

I found the entire lip/sideskirt kit for 160 bucks on eBay, but it said the application is using double sided tape, that made me get worried about fitment.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a pic of the skirt's condition on the mounting side. Name:  n5VZiKqh.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  242.1 KB

You can see the 3 brackets that I glued back on. The other 5 are gone.

Last edited by ikutoisahobo; 07-12-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Same sh*t, different toilet AND better price for the amount.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Managed to get it on today. My skirt seems to be bent towards the center from the impact or whatever, and it doesn't sit evenly with the car. The rest of it looks pretty good, just a little droopy towards the rear (since no brackets) will post pics.

Certainly looks a lot better than no skirt. I think I'll have to repaint it though, but I'd probably be better off going to a junkyard and finding a used skirt.