Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Looking to get more power and better handling out of my jazz/fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:30 AM
Looking to get more power and better handling out of my jazz/fit

L13 Tuning

1. @Bend
  2. Forums
  3. Gallery
  4. New Posts
  5. Subscriptions
  6. Messages 0
  7. Log Out
  1. View Full Site
  2. Advertising
  3. Cookie Policy
  4. Privacy Statement
  5. Terms of Service

1. Home
  2. /
  3. Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning

L13 Tuning

Subscribed #1 @jms @jms , 03-30-2011 02:58 PMHey peeps!!

Im generally just a browser on this forum but I have a few questions. I have owned my UK Jazz/Fit for almost a year now as my other car was being taken off the road for motorsport/rally preparation and the jazz was going very cheap with very VERY low miles so was stupid of me to say no.

After driving it for a year I absolutely love the car. It's comfortable, handles nicely and its never let me down. I think they are quite a nice looking car too.

I don't want to sell the car but I want a little more power. Now I wanted to K20 it but I don't really want to spend that sort of money on the car swapping the engine or turbo charging it etc.

The engine is an L13A 1.3 Idsi UK GD (think 2002 model). Does anyone know on here what mods will work well with this engine to free a few bhp/torques? I will also be concentrating on suspension/strut bars etc but probably wont need 'too' much help on that side of thing

1.) I was thinking bigger throttle body (what ones fit, are they worth changing, will i notice a difference?)

2.) Replacement air filter (k&n etc) with standard air box or change the whole unit.

they are two cheap-ish mods I can think of doing but was wondering weather there would be any point or will I even be able to notice a difference in engine response etc with the idsi?

If anyone could help name a few more or point me in the right direction that would be awesome!!

Thanks #2 @jazzista , 04-07-2011 04:46 AMHi,
I personally found the handling mods the more interesting. My 1.2 Idsi was almost unbearable in cornering unless at 0mph... So I went and can vouch for them.

Besides:
my friend Alf74 went for a larger TB and is quite happy. I bought one my didn't yet found a suitable flange to mount it. I went for a K&N but couldn't honestly say "wow". A south african guy modded his standard intake (the hose between air box and the fender), reporting good results (after Dastek ECU tuning I can't get here around).

Then: Denso IK22 or other colder iridium spark help. Electronic throttle controllers have a good reputation and I will soon buy Panson's one. Lighter wheels and tyres will help a lot (I have to buy them). Other lighter parts would help, too (I bought and installed them) but my bottlenecks are somewhere else.

Hope this can help, #3 @jms @jms , 04-07-2011 10:31 AMThank you for the reply

Throttle controller seems interesting, I will have a read up about them!

I find my 1.4 (1.3) handles pretty well for a standard car other than lower profile and wider tires. Though if I do tun the car I will look into handling upgrades as good as I find it at the moment there is always an upgrade to be had.

Im not looking for huge power or even big HP figures just want a bit more "oomph" so to say. I have thought of the K-Swap but I think the price is a bit high not to mention how long I would be without a car as my other car is off the road awaiting preparation

Seems like there isn't a HUGE amount of engine tuning for the Idsi available like there is with the vtec counterpart unfortunately... Seems like I'm nearly at a dead end trying to find products/parts as the only engine we got in the UK was the 1.2 dsi and 1.4 dsi no vtec. So without swapping the engine and tuning that I cant see much being had from my existing engine

Unless anyone has some more suggestions. #4 @jazzista , 04-13-2011 09:41 AMAs written above, you can go with lightened flywheel and pulleys, but the bottleneck seems to be the standard DBW logic built in the Jazz/Fit. That's why an ETC should do the trick! #5 @James128 , 04-15-2011 03:04 PMHey mate!

Ive looked into a few options and most of them point to a K20 conversion which costs silly money...im afraid it seems we are just stuck with the DSI and just be happy with the easy drive and comfy interior lol! oh btw the names james too currently driving a 1.4 DSI sport

maybe look into supercharging or a bolt on turbo??? #6 @B-boystance , 04-25-2011 05:03 PMEngine improvements.Tips to be found here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/euro...z-fit-gd1.html

and my photo thread on facebook:
honda jazz | Facebook

I can also offer bored out throttle bodies for £100 for the jazz provided you send me your old one.

I have bored out my throttle body, blanked off the EGR Valve, placed new inlet manifold and full 4-2-1 header to decated spoon B-pipe and n1 backbox.
lightened pulley wheels and changed spark plugs to originals all to assist more low-mid end torque.

Let me know if you need help or parts I'm located in York.

Laters.
Andrew #7 @jms @jms , 05-15-2011 06:37 PMHi Andrew,

very interesting reading and looking at the pictures from facebook.

How did you find engine response and power difference after doing these mods? Also were did you get the inlet manifold and did you need to get the car mapped? #8 @B-boystance , 05-15-2011 10:00 PMWell the engine response is better and I've done my mods with torque in mind as I want to accelerate quickly not have a massive top end. The inlet manifold is a Weapon-R inlet. It's really good as it has fluted pipes that feed from the box that helps air swirl with the petrol and atomization occur. I matched the inlet with a weapon-r race header which is 4-2-1 and decatted. The rest is a spoon b-pipe and a Spoon N1 backbox. I haven't done all my physical mods yet it's actually at the garaged getting fitted with my new M Factory LSD, bearings, and final drive gears (closer gear ratio for more torque) and spec stage 2+ clutch and fidanza flywheel. After this then I'll see someone about remapping it.

As for power difference as I haven't had it on a rolling road I can't say definetly more torque and I have achieved a top speed of 135mph! admittedly this was down hill, but hey I wouldn't want to go faster in such a light car I'd take off.

Cheers for the props. #9 @Jazz_Pinkz @Jazz_Pinkz , 01-10-2012 08:20 AMhello, i'm from indonesia, i'm using a 1.5L i-DSI engine (southeast asia model GD3)
i've ported and polish, change the valve stem angle, and bore my throttle body by 2mm,
and increase the compression ratio a bit to 11:1, using a replacement KnN filter, but standard exhaust (still saving for this thing)

it improves alot the engine response a way better than standard even in stock exhaust..
and i got a better fuel economy after doing those mods..
i don't know about the power and torque figures, top speed till now id 190 km/h with 2 peoples onboard and 195/50/15 semi slick tires #10 @Bend @Bend , Today 05:18 AM1.3 idsi modificationsHello im new here i have a 1.3 idsi honda jazz uk gd 54 plate model looking to up the power as its pretty gutless i have put hotter plugs and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and i fabed up a rear muffler delete never really worked on these engines/cars before im lowering it soon on blistien shocks and apex springs made a set of stiffer anti roll bar drop links as the stock ones are like tooth picks with a set of power flex camber bolts thats helped handling a bit i have a set of 16x6 rota gt3s with handcook v12 evo 2 tyres 215/40/16 which helped alot with corning speeds but did have to roll the arches or the rear as they rubbed on high speed corners well high speed for a jazz haha im going to make a set of poly bushed top mounts to replace the rubber 1s at the front to help stiffen up the front a bit more and looking to make a stiffer anti roll bar to go with it doing this on a budget. Any help will be much appreciated btw im a qualified machanic/ motorsport engeer so making stuff / modifying parts to fit is not a problem.
Thanks ben