Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Questions please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Questions please help!

Hello
Our 1995 cavalier is breaking down and we are forced to get a new car.We do not have alot of money but do want to get a reliable car that will last awhile.We are either going with the fit or a chevy cobalt.So here are my questions/concerns. I really hope you fit freaks can help!

*I have read reviews that say after getting the fit home and driving it alot they found it so uncomfortable they had to sell it.What is a good way to tell if the fit is comfortable through test driive.We cannot afford to sell this one month later

*Is the fit bad with wind and snow?

*can the fit handle pot holes?

*Can the fit handle hills?

*What made you get the fit?

Old 06-21-2007, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
If you have short arms and long legs, the Fit will probably not be comfortable for you. Pedals may be too close relative to the steering wheel, which seems far away. For most of us, it's pretty comfortable. The seats are comfortable and the ride is firm but not harsh.

If price is of the highest importance, find a nice used Honda or Toyota. If you have been reading reviews, you are aware that the reliability of Toyota and Honda products is much better than that of any American car company. You can get a very nice used Japanese car for under $10K.

No car is going to like being beaten by potholes. A Fit base model would have better survival chances than a Cobalt or a Fit Sport, but you should try to avoid the slamming-around of your wheels and suspension, no matter what car you drive.

Hills are no problem. Wind and snow? That will depend on your skills. The Fit is up to the task like pretty much any front-wheel-drive (not AWD) car.

Search the forums by using the "search" option at the top of this page.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by bleedforlove
*I have read reviews that say after getting the fit home and driving it alot they found it so uncomfortable they had to sell it.What is a good way to tell if the fit is comfortable through test driive.We cannot afford to sell this one month later
Honestly, I would have no clue other then to test it how you would drive it, We had to put or 2 car seats in it to make sure our family fit. As far as comfort, I find the fit open and spacious inside, the driver seat has decent support and things like a dead pedal and a lumbar support are easy enough to add if needed.

*Is the fit bad with wind and snow?
I get buffeted by 35 mph cross winds coming up the hill every day, while I can't say I don't feel it I will say that I do feel confident in the car sticking on the road.

*can the fit handle pot holes?
I have a Sport model with the ground effects so I worried about potholes and other road hazards, but really haven't had much of an issue with anything other then my very steep driveway and the occasional speed table taken at higher speeds scraping on the tow hook

*Can the fit handle hills?
I live at about 1300 ft and drive up from sea level every day the fit can take the hill going 80

*What made you get the fit?
Price gas mileage it's a Honda

Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Comparing the Fit and a Cobalt?

It's not even a fair comparison. What about the Cobalt is appealing?

Drive the Cobalt and then go drive the Fit.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah I personally would take a Fit over a Cobalt any day. I'm 6'2" myself and I don't have any problems with the driving position being comfortable. A test drive should be enough to tell you if you like how it sits or not and if you're concerned about long trips I'd think as long as you get a model with cruise control you'd be fine. And as far as I'm concered you can't be Honda for reliablilty.